Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Tee Ritson Signs

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    Makinson said he’s killing it. Looks really good and is putting the hard yards in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hope they are fast yards against Wigoon

In The South Stand

I'm looking forward to seeing Ritson and I think he will do well for us. He's got some quality players around him now who will look after him and it seems he's willing to take some advice from them as well.

Learning All The Songs

Makinson said he’s killing it. Looks really good and is putting the hard yards in

I remember KC saying something similar about Jack Owens in training

Learning All The Songs Brian Nazareth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post

KC said a lot of things....

(like singling out Wilkin for praise after every game, even though he was stinking the place out)
    He's not the Messiah, he's a naughty boy.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    Difference there is we had seen Jack Owens enough to say he was crap, Tee Ritson is pretty much a complete unknown for most of us.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Thanks for the info! Really intriguing one. Let's see how he goes when he gets his chance.

The other one to follow that's stepping up, is Ipape at Leigh.
    *Not to be confused with Mike Stephenson, MBE

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

There was some training video footage of the team playing tick and pass or held and pass. Ritson skinned a few players they found it difficult to touch him.

In The South Stand

I’m really looking forward to seeing how he goes. There can be no guarantees but I have a good feeling about him.

Got A Season Ticket

What was he like tonight? Anything promising?

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Thommo View Post
    What was he like tonight? Anything promising?
    He is certainly not a Regan Grace. Lightweight and defensively weak.

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

Bit harsh on Ritson. He will have a lot more time and space to excel when we are at full strength. He'll score a fair amount of tries and do his fair share in defense. No one excelled last night but it's what you expect with so many changes and finishing with the academy team.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor
    RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

In The South Stand

Friendlies are by far the worst type of games to run the rule over new players,to much chopping and changing to make a sound judgement on anyone.

Learning All The Songs Brian Nazareth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superarch View Post
    Grace was raw when he first came in, with some big deficiencies in his game. Always had that potential, though.

He got his chance, though, at a time when we were only just starting our journey back to the top after a dark period of turgid rugby. The vast majority of fans appreciated he had improvement to make, but just enjoyed the excitement he provided when given the ball in some space.

But there were still no shortage of numpties who were slagging him off, calling him crap or a liability and wanting him dropped.

Ritson is coming into a 4-time champion side and replacing a pretty much finished article Grace. There is far more pressure on him simply because of this. Even though I think he's further down the development path than Grace was in 2017, I think there'll be less patience around for him - and I fear there'll be more idiots calling him not fit to burn and writing him off if he's not as good as Grace was after 3/4 years of first team rugby.
    He's not the Messiah, he's a naughty boy.

Regan Grace wasn't a "Regan Grace" either when he started in Superleague he was fast with nothing much too show until he got a full season. Ritson is a work in progress and we havn't signed him up, so there is a lot to prove on both sides of the coin.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Regan Grace wasn't a "Regan Grace" either when he started in Superleague he was fast with nothing much too show until he got a full season. Ritson is a work in progress and we havn't signed him up, so there is a lot to prove on both sides of the coin.
    You are right. Regan was a young kid and learned teh game , grew in strength and developed. Ritson is 27.

Learning All The Songs

You are right. Regan was a young kid and learned teh game , grew in strength and developed. Ritson is 27.
    I've been critical of us signing Ritson and I don't think he'll be here long term (more of a stop gap with potential upside), but now he's wearing the red vee he deserves our support whilst he gets up to speed for us. Batchelor only really broke through over the last year or two and he's 28.

He deserves more of a chance than 50 minutes in a game with 21 subs.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by BackrowSaint View Post
    I've been critical of us signing Ritson and I don't think he'll be here long term (more of a stop gap with potential upside), but now he's wearing the red vee he deserves our support whilst he gets up to speed for us. Batchelor only really broke through over the last year or two and he's 28.

He deserves more of a chance than 50 minutes in a game with 21 subs.
    Whilst that’s true, circumstances are harder. When Grace first got into the team, he was replacing and out of form (and injured?) Swift, whom didn’t hold huge rep with the fans, whom had had years of Matty Dawson and Jack Owens. He could afford to be green in some area of his game as the excitement he brought bought him the support of the fans.

Ritson on the other hand comes into a hugely demanding environment, challenging a 19 year old local lad who scored a try in the Grand Final the previous year, a Tongan international desperate for a good year to get the fans back onside, and a contract renewed and another homegrown natural winger whom probably would have broken through last year if it hadn’t have been for injuries.

It’s incredibly difficult justifying giving Ritson the time he needs, even more so with Sambou becoming a dark horse for the wing spot. As you say I’ll give Ritson my full support, but that 50 minutes with 21 subs may be his only chance for a while to justify his inclusion, and I would say on balance, Sambou gave a better account.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Whilst that’s true, circumstances are harder. When Grace first got into the team, he was replacing and out of form (and injured?) Swift, whom didn’t hold huge rep with the fans, whom had had years of Matty Dawson and Jack Owens. He could afford to be green in some area of his game as the excitement he brought bought him the support of the fans.

Ritson on the other hand comes into a hugely demanding environment, challenging a 19 year old local lad who scored a try in the Grand Final the previous year, a Tongan international desperate for a good year to get the fans back onside, and a contract renewed and another homegrown natural winger whom probably would have broken through last year if it hadn’t have been for injuries.

It’s incredibly difficult justifying giving Ritson the time he needs, even more so with Sambou becoming a dark horse for the wing spot. As you say I’ll give Ritson my full support, but that 50 minutes with 21 subs may be his only chance for a while to justify his inclusion, and I would say on balance, Sambou gave a better account.
    Sorry I wasn't particularly clear in my post, I didn't mean a run of games necessarily given by the club right now. More he deserves a couple more games (at some point) before it's fair to write him off completely. He's definitely down the pecking order and I'm sure the next few weeks will reflect that.

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Whilst thatÂ’s true, circumstances are harder. When Grace first got into the team, he was replacing and out of form (and injured?) Swift, whom didnÂ’t hold huge rep with the fans, whom had had years of Matty Dawson and Jack Owens. He could afford to be green in some area of his game as the excitement he brought bought him the support of the fans.

Ritson on the other hand comes into a hugely demanding environment, challenging a 19 year old local lad who scored a try in the Grand Final the previous year, a Tongan international desperate for a good year to get the fans back onside, and a contract renewed and another homegrown natural winger whom probably would have broken through last year if it hadnÂ’t have been for injuries.

ItÂ’s incredibly difficult justifying giving Ritson the time he needs, even more so with Sambou becoming a dark horse for the wing spot. As you say IÂ’ll give Ritson my full support, but that 50 minutes with 21 subs may be his only chance for a while to justify his inclusion, and I would say on balance, Sambou gave a better account.
    When is your Jon Bennison statue due to be finished and erected at the ground?

Great that there are options and opportunities for several players.

I'm sure sure several players (both new and fringe) will get opportunities in the backs.

On a cost and value basis Hopoate has the most to prove.

You could probably buy a Ritson ,Sambou and a Bennison for the price of a Hopoate.
    That puts things in perspective.

Why don't we just see how this long challenging season plays out?

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    When is your Jon Bennison statue due to be finished and erected at the ground?

Great that there are options and opportunities for several players.

I'm sure sure several players (both new and fringe) will get opportunities in the backs.

On a cost and value basis Hopoate has the most to prove.

You could probably buy a Ritson ,Sambou and a Bennison for the price of a Hopoate.
    That puts things in perspective.

Why don't we just see how this long challenging season plays out?
    I mean, I make no secret I’m a Bennison fan, and have repeatedly said that whomever came in as a winger needed to be demonstrably better than what we had this year, otherwise we may as well stick with the same project rather than just restarting with someone else. Though in this particular instance all I have said is Bennison scored a try in the GF (which is just a statement of fact) and offers a higher threshold for Ritson, then Swift, Dawson, Owens did for Grace which … I don’t think is a high bar…

Totally agree Hopoate is hard to justify, I think he’s going to be in the frame for wing during the WCC and that’s it. It’s the type of game where he can just be a safe pair of hands, he knows the Aussie game well, but he will either come through unscathed and will live inside to centre, or get injured again. Obviously, Ritson may be showing things in training which we don’t see which keeps him ahead of the other two, but if he doesn’t start against Cas I don’t think the fans will be calling for his inclusion based on the friendly.

Where’s the point in the off-season if it’s not full of wild uninformed speculation

Ritson will need a very good centre to develop his game, just hoping we see a lot of games from Percival otherwise Ritson might not progress quickly. I remember I think it was 2 seasons ago Grace had a try scoring drought and didn't see a lot of quality ball because he had 5 different centres that season.

For me Ritson will have to prove he a better option than Bennison, once he does that then we can see a bit further down the track. He will become a better player in Saints structure, stronger more conditioned and defence minded for Superleague level.

Ritson will need a very good centre to develop his game, just hoping we see a lot of games from Percival otherwise Ritson might not progress quickly. I remember I think it was 2 seasons ago Grace had a try scoring drought and didn't see a lot of quality ball because he had 5 different centres that season.

For me Ritson will have to prove he a better option than Bennison, once he does that then we can see a bit further down the track. He will become a better player in Saints structure, stronger more conditioned and defence minded for Superleague level.
    Things run a bit deeper than just Percival playing regulalrly.

Percival's style has developed into a battering ram on tackle 1/2 with a bit of kick chase.
    So by playing is no guarentee of good service to his winger.

That's not just on Percival either its the whole left edge.

There's plenty of talent. Percival Sironen/Mata'utia and Dodd is a star studied left edge.

However leaving the disruption of 2022 aside , attack over the past 2/3 years has distilled down to a setup and the winger miss ball.

The compaision to a Sullivan Newlove joynt martyn left edge is useful.

Both have/had quality in abundence and all can do great things individually.
    but the latter had the ability to attack as a unit with different options.

Today's left edge is a group of great individuals runing to a very limited set of plays.
    Perhaps a symptoym of the modern game and certainly one for the new coaching team to consider.

Therefore a more complex issue than things being all on Ritson or Percival being around.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    Things run a bit deeper than just Percival playing regulalrly.

Percival's style has developed into a battering ram on tackle 1/2 with a bit of kick chase.
    So by playing is no guarentee of good service to his winger.

That's not just on Percival either its the whole left edge.

There's plenty of talent. Percival Sironen/Mata'utia and Dodd is a star studied left edge.

However leaving the disruption of 2022 aside , attack over the past 2/3 years has distilled down to a setup and the winger miss ball.

The compaision to a Sullivan Newlove joynt martyn left edge is useful.

Both have/had quality in abundence and all can do great things individually.
    but the latter had the ability to attack as a unit with different options.

Today's left edge is a group of great individuals runing to a very limited set of plays.
    Perhaps a symptoym of the modern game and certainly one for the new coaching team to consider.

Therefore a more complex issue than things being all on Ritson or Percival being around.
    That left hand edge has been pretty bad for partnerships and understanding over the last 2 seasons. We've had Bennison, Grace, Davies, Knowles, Sironen, Matautia, Percival, Bentley and Doddy working that side. On the right hand edge it was mainly Makinson, Lomax, Hurrell, Batchelor and Naiqama.

Coote use to favour the left edge but we seem to have Welsby using the right edge a bit more last season, our kicking game was also more to the right last season for Batchelor and Makinson. If we do get a Ritson and Percival partnership going it will take a bit of time. My understanding is that Wello wants to increase our attacking shapes across the whole backline so we might see some changes further down the track, we lost a lot of attacking switch plays to isolate the full back when Doddy got injured, hope to see more creative plays now he is back.

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

That left hand edge has been pretty bad for partnerships and understanding over the last 2 seasons. We've had Bennison, Grace, Davies, Knowles, Sironen, Matautia, Percival, Bentley and Doddy working that side. On the right hand edge it was mainly Makinson, Lomax, Hurrell, Batchelor and Naiqama.

Coote use to favour the left edge but we seem to have Welsby using the right edge a bit more last season, our kicking game was also more to the right last season for Batchelor and Makinson. If we do get a Ritson and Percival partnership going it will take a bit of time. My understanding is that Wello wants to increase our attacking shapes across the whole backline so we might see some changes further down the track, we lost a lot of attacking switch plays to isolate the full back when Doddy got injured, hope to see more creative plays now he is back.
    An alternate look at the left edge is prior to Dodds injury I'm pretty sure Sione was high on the MOS list. We had a great balance at the start of last season. If we can keep people fit that side, they'll click I'm sure

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by southernsaint7 View Post
    An alternate look at the left edge is prior to Dodds injury I'm pretty sure Sione was high on the MOS list. We had a great balance at the start of last season. If we can keep people fit that side, they'll click I'm sure
    That’s my view - we were brilliant last season before the injuries took their toll.

Also think people who say Percy is just a battering ram are watching a different sport to me.