JB&B Leach Banner
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 151

Thread: Tee Ritson Signs

  1. #51
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    1,014
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Sent from a mate who works at the Barrow club, a Q + A with a bit more detail.
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...&sfnsn=scwspmo


    The intersting bit is that they don't want Ritson lingering in the Saints Reserve Squad but rather he plays championship games with Barrow. Does this mean he may be thrown into the deep end to avoid to and fro with the Barrow Club.
    I have a lot of time for a club being as open and honest as Barrow were about this, as for the interesting bit i would hope that there is an allowance for a bedding in period early on so we dont have to throw him in at the deep end, which could be a detriment to his growth as a player.

  2. #52
    really is sorry Reacher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wigan
    Age
    47
    Posts
    11,547
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Sent from a mate who works at the Barrow club, a Q + A with a bit more detail.
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...&sfnsn=scwspmo


    The intersting bit is that they don't want Ritson lingering in the Saints Reserve Squad but rather he plays championship games with Barrow. Does this mean he may be thrown into the deep end to avoid to and fro with the Barrow Club.
    I've read that its a good read cheers.

    If he doesn't make the Saints 19 man squad each week then Barrow will have him for free. We are paying all his wages plus they have received a fee and conceivably he could play all season for Barrow at no cost to them

  3. #53
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    9,536
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Sent from a mate who works at the Barrow club, a Q + A with a bit more detail.
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...&sfnsn=scwspmo


    The intersting bit is that they don't want Ritson lingering in the Saints Reserve Squad but rather he plays championship games with Barrow. Does this mean he may be thrown into the deep end to avoid to and fro with the Barrow Club.

    Very transparent and well explained by Barrow. I hope the pre season environment lets us have an early season look at him.

  4. #54
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    near leigh
    Posts
    2,989
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Ade Gardner was a decent winger and he was from Barrow.

  5. #55
    In The South Stand Gerry Mander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Around the Ruck. Winning the Collision.
    Posts
    2,987
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    Ade Gardner was a decent winger and he was from Barrow.
    Les Quirk is the gold standard when it comes to wingers from Barrow.
    I have high hopes for Ritson. Hope he slots in outside Hurrell so he gets some decent ball.

  6. #56
    Learning All The Songs Nickles Forearm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    St Helens
    Posts
    2,398
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    Ade Gardner was a decent winger and he was from Barrow.
    Didnt mind gardener but he played outside some of the greatest centres that have ever graced the club.

  7. #57
    In The West Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    7,357
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    Ade Gardner was a decent winger and he was from Barrow.
    We had a saints scout in the south cumbria a couple of years ago but I lost touch who was being watched when I retired about 5 years ago. Think we got Ellis Archer from Roose (Pioneers) and George Delaney (Walney Cents), Gardner, Richards and Knowles were spotted playing for Barrow Island. A few years ago Saints I think was looking at Jarrad Stack who played like Chris Joynt but he wasn't the right age and we got Batchelor instead.

    We missed a few good players as well Liam Halliwell (Barrow) and a player ???? Seed (Whitehaven) because they had good jobs. We also looked at Ade Gardners brother Matt Gardner but I,m not sure but I think he ended up at Huddersfield.

    Barrow is also a target for Saints ex players as well, last season Carl Foster, Gary Wheeler, Matty Costello played for them last season.

  8. #58
    Got A Season Ticket BigTuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Haydock
    Posts
    395
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    Ade Gardner was a decent winger and he was from Barrow.
    Decent, never a world beater though. And has been said, played outside some of the best centres we've ever had, not sure he'd have been the same outside others.
    I ate a tuna sandwich on my first day!

  9. #59
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    9,536
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    Les Quirk is the gold standard when it comes to wingers from Barrow.
    I have high hopes for Ritson. Hope he slots in outside Hurrell so he gets some decent ball.
    Ade and Quirk were both decent wingers. I know it was different times and different competition for places, but Gardner made the England and GB teams, which Quirk didn't.

  10. #60
    Got A Season Ticket BigTuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Haydock
    Posts
    395
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Ade and Quirk were both decent wingers. I know it was different times and different competition for places, but Gardner made the England and GB teams, which Quirk didn't.
    There was only ever one place to play for though in those days, as Offiah was always nailed on for one of the wing spots. And with Paul Eastwood being a goalkicker, I think Quirk was always struggling to make it into teams knowing he would never get picked over either of those two
    I ate a tuna sandwich on my first day!

  11. #61
    In The West Stand The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Harrogate
    Age
    32
    Posts
    7,032
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Sent from a mate who works at the Barrow club, a Q + A with a bit more detail.
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...&sfnsn=scwspmo


    The intersting bit is that they don't want Ritson lingering in the Saints Reserve Squad but rather he plays championship games with Barrow. Does this mean he may be thrown into the deep end to avoid to and fro with the Barrow Club.
    Excellent from Barrow as it clears everything up for all interested parties. Its a great deal for all involved. We will still have to pay a fee if we want to keep Ritson at the end of next season but we will know if hes worth it by then. I wonder if we will start to see a few try before you buy loan deals for championship players.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

  12. #62
    In The West Stand Dux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    5,133
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    We missed a few good players as well Liam Halliwell (Barrow) and a player ???? Seed (Whitehaven) because they had good jobs.
    I remember David Seed. He looked like a classy centre and there always seemed to be rumours about him going to SL but he never did. That explains it.

  13. #63
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    9,536
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Excellent from Barrow as it clears everything up for all interested parties. It’s a great deal for all involved. We will still have to pay a fee if we want to keep Ritson at the end of next season but we will know if he’s worth it by then. I wonder if we will start to see a few ‘try before you buy’ loan deals for championship players.
    You would hope that we try similar deals for other championship players with potential. This deal seems a win win for all parties - Barrow, Ritson and Saints.

  14. #64
    In The South Stand Gerry Mander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Around the Ruck. Winning the Collision.
    Posts
    2,987
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I remember David Seed. He looked like a classy centre and there always seemed to be rumours about him going to SL but he never did. That explains it.
    Vince Gribben another classy centre.

    Craig Calvert another fantastic player who's off field career prevented him from going to SL.

  15. #65
    Moderator Div's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sintellins
    Posts
    11,663
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Les Quirk also from Barrow wasn't he? He wasn't half bad on the flank some may say orgasmic ( RIP Ron Hoofe)!

    I was touting for Ritson ages ago after watching him quite a bit in the Championship so I'm pretty happy he is getting an opportunity in a full time environment. I think he will go well.
    Last edited by Div; 9th November 2022 at 12:33.

  16. #66
    In The South Stand Gerry Mander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Around the Ruck. Winning the Collision.
    Posts
    2,987
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Les Quirk also from Barrow wasn't he? He wasn't half bad on the flank some may say orgasmic RIP Ron Hoofe)!

    I was touting for Ritson ages ago after watching him quiet a bit in the Championship so I'm pretty happy he is getting an opportunity in a full time environment. I think he will go well.
    Les Quirk was a fantasitc winger one of my favourites. (If he's got Bad Legs I'll have two - Alex Murphy)

    I like you saw Ritson in the Champ before he became fashionable and threw up his name as a good signing.
    I thought his offield job might be a barrier, great to see all parties have come up with a model to get him to Saints.

  17. #67
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Posts
    266
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    We had a saints scout in the south cumbria a couple of years ago but I lost touch who was being watched when I retired about 5 years ago. Think we got Ellis Archer from Roose (Pioneers) and George Delaney (Walney Cents), Gardner, Richards and Knowles were spotted playing for Barrow Island. A few years ago Saints I think was looking at Jarrad Stack who played like Chris Joynt but he wasn't the right age and we got Batchelor instead.

    We missed a few good players as well Liam Halliwell (Barrow) and a player ???? Seed (Whitehaven) because they had good jobs. We also looked at Ade Gardners brother Matt Gardner but I,m not sure but I think he ended up at Huddersfield.

    Barrow is also a target for Saints ex players as well, last season Carl Foster, Gary Wheeler, Matty Costello played for them last season.
    Geroge Delaney is from Widnes

  18. #68
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    11,658
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    I haven’t seen anything of this lad up until his signing yesterday. Wow. Sh** off a shovel! Just give him the ball with a bit of space and he’s gone. Good signing!
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

  19. #69
    In The West Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    7,357
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Titan Saint View Post
    Geroge Delaney is from Widnes
    I was told he had a Walney Island connection, if I find the link I will post it up.

    EDIT: Name mix up it was Rio Corkhill who we got from Walney Cents.
    Last edited by STIDDY; 9th November 2022 at 15:52.

  20. #70
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Posts
    237
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    You would hope that we try similar deals for other championship players with potential. This deal seems a win win for all parties - Barrow, Ritson and Saints.
    given that we have a salary cap exemption for Rugby Union players, would it be worthwhile introducing an exemption for Championship players in this kind of deal?

  21. #71
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,893
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo8 View Post
    given that we have a salary cap exemption for Rugby Union players, would it be worthwhile introducing an exemption for Championship players in this kind of deal?
    Would be open to abuse - Koukash buys two clubs, one in SL and one in Championship/LeagueOne, signs players to the championship club and then loans them to the SL club to utilise the exemption. Now arguably, Koukash could buy a union club and a league club and create a stream on returning RU players, but that would be quite a bit more effort, and much slower

    Then again, I have absolutely no idea how this deal is structured from a cap perspective so maybe!

  22. #72
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Newport, Shropshire
    Posts
    2,615
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    I’m happy about this signing and the mechanism. I hope he does well and has a big future with us.

  23. #73
    In The West Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    7,357
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    I’m happy about this signing and the mechanism. I hope he does well and has a big future with us.
    I think fans will need to be patient on Ritson's progress, at the moment he is not superleague standard at all. The coaches might need 6 months to get him use to the team defensive structure and attack plays. Matt Daniels will also need a good few months to work on his strength and conditioning.

  24. #74
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,262
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I think fans will need to be patient on Ritson's progress, at the moment he is not superleague standard at all. The coaches might need 6 months to get him use to the team defensive structure and attack plays. Matt Daniels will also need a good few months to work on his strength and conditioning.
    Im sure this is correct but on the other hand if he doesn't break into the first team relatively quickly he will find himself back playing for Barrow on a weekly basis. This is a clever deal because the onus is on him to win his place. I hope he does so quickly, but if not then there is a fallback

  25. #75
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    9,536
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Would be open to abuse - Koukash buys two clubs, one in SL and one in Championship/LeagueOne, signs players to the championship club and then loans them to the SL club to utilise the exemption. Now arguably, Koukash could buy a union club and a league club and create a stream on returning RU players, but that would be quite a bit more effort, and much slower

    Then again, I have absolutely no idea how this deal is structured from a cap perspective so maybe!
    Was there something similar going on between Leeds and Hunslet a few years ago?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •