Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Tee Ritson Signs

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Sent from a mate who works at the Barrow club, a Q + A with a bit more detail.
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...&sfnsn=scwspmo

The intersting bit is that they don't want Ritson lingering in the Saints Reserve Squad but rather he plays championship games with Barrow. Does this mean he may be thrown into the deep end to avoid to and fro with the Barrow Club.
    I have a lot of time for a club being as open and honest as Barrow were about this, as for the interesting bit i would hope that there is an allowance for a bedding in period early on so we dont have to throw him in at the deep end, which could be a detriment to his growth as a player.

The intersting bit is that they don't want Ritson lingering in the Saints Reserve Squad but rather he plays championship games with Barrow. Does this mean he may be thrown into the deep end to avoid to and fro with the Barrow Club.
    I've read that its a good read cheers.

If he doesn't make the Saints 19 man squad each week then Barrow will have him for free. We are paying all his wages plus they have received a fee and conceivably he could play all season for Barrow at no cost to them

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Very transparent and well explained by Barrow. I hope the pre season environment lets us have an early season look at him.

In The South Stand

Ade Gardner was a decent winger and he was from Barrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    Les Quirk is the gold standard when it comes to wingers from Barrow.
    I have high hopes for Ritson. Hope he slots in outside Hurrell so he gets some decent ball.

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Didn’t mind gardener but he played outside some of the greatest centres that have ever graced the club.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

We had a saints scout in the south cumbria a couple of years ago but I lost touch who was being watched when I retired about 5 years ago. Think we got Ellis Archer from Roose (Pioneers) and George Delaney (Walney Cents), Gardner, Richards and Knowles were spotted playing for Barrow Island. A few years ago Saints I think was looking at Jarrad Stack who played like Chris Joynt but he wasn't the right age and we got Batchelor instead.

We missed a few good players as well Liam Halliwell (Barrow) and a player ???? Seed (Whitehaven) because they had good jobs. We also looked at Ade Gardners brother Matt Gardner but I,m not sure but I think he ended up at Huddersfield.

Barrow is also a target for Saints ex players as well, last season Carl Foster, Gary Wheeler, Matty Costello played for them last season.

Decent, never a world beater though. And has been said, played outside some of the best centres we've ever had, not sure he'd have been the same outside others.
    I ate a tuna sandwich on my first day!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    Les Quirk is the gold standard when it comes to wingers from Barrow.
    I have high hopes for Ritson. Hope he slots in outside Hurrell so he gets some decent ball.
    Ade and Quirk were both decent wingers. I know it was different times and different competition for places, but Gardner made the England and GB teams, which Quirk didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Ade and Quirk were both decent wingers. I know it was different times and different competition for places, but Gardner made the England and GB teams, which Quirk didn't.
    There was only ever one place to play for though in those days, as Offiah was always nailed on for one of the wing spots. And with Paul Eastwood being a goalkicker, I think Quirk was always struggling to make it into teams knowing he would never get picked over either of those two
    I ate a tuna sandwich on my first day!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Excellent from Barrow as it clears everything up for all interested parties. It’s a great deal for all involved. We will still have to pay a fee if we want to keep Ritson at the end of next season but we will know if he’s worth it by then. I wonder if we will start to see a few ‘try before you buy’ loan deals for championship players.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

We missed a few good players as well Liam Halliwell (Barrow) and a player ???? Seed (Whitehaven) because they had good jobs.
    I remember David Seed. He looked like a classy centre and there always seemed to be rumours about him going to SL but he never did. That explains it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Excellent from Barrow as it clears everything up for all interested parties. It’s a great deal for all involved. We will still have to pay a fee if we want to keep Ritson at the end of next season but we will know if he’s worth it by then. I wonder if we will start to see a few ‘try before you buy’ loan deals for championship players.
    You would hope that we try similar deals for other championship players with potential. This deal seems a win win for all parties - Barrow, Ritson and Saints.

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I remember David Seed. He looked like a classy centre and there always seemed to be rumours about him going to SL but he never did. That explains it.
    Vince Gribben another classy centre.

Craig Calvert another fantastic player who's off field career prevented him from going to SL.

Les Quirk also from Barrow wasn't he? He wasn't half bad on the flank some may say orgasmic ( RIP Ron Hoofe)!

I was touting for Ritson ages ago after watching him quite a bit in the Championship so I'm pretty happy he is getting an opportunity in a full time environment. I think he will go well.
    Last edited by Div; 9th November 2022 at 12:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Les Quirk also from Barrow wasn't he? He wasn't half bad on the flank some may say orgasmic RIP Ron Hoofe)!

I was touting for Ritson ages ago after watching him quiet a bit in the Championship so I'm pretty happy he is getting an opportunity in a full time environment. I think he will go well.
    Les Quirk was a fantasitc winger one of my favourites. (If he's got Bad Legs I'll have two - Alex Murphy)

I like you saw Ritson in the Champ before he became fashionable and threw up his name as a good signing.
    I thought his offield job might be a barrier, great to see all parties have come up with a model to get him to Saints.

Got A Season Ticket

We had a saints scout in the south cumbria a couple of years ago but I lost touch who was being watched when I retired about 5 years ago. Think we got Ellis Archer from Roose (Pioneers) and George Delaney (Walney Cents), Gardner, Richards and Knowles were spotted playing for Barrow Island. A few years ago Saints I think was looking at Jarrad Stack who played like Chris Joynt but he wasn't the right age and we got Batchelor instead.

We missed a few good players as well Liam Halliwell (Barrow) and a player ???? Seed (Whitehaven) because they had good jobs. We also looked at Ade Gardners brother Matt Gardner but I,m not sure but I think he ended up at Huddersfield.

Barrow is also a target for Saints ex players as well, last season Carl Foster, Gary Wheeler, Matty Costello played for them last season.
    Geroge Delaney is from Widnes

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

I haven’t seen anything of this lad up until his signing yesterday. Wow. Sh** off a shovel! Just give him the ball with a bit of space and he’s gone. Good signing!
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Saint View Post
    Geroge Delaney is from Widnes
    I was told he had a Walney Island connection, if I find the link I will post it up.

EDIT: Name mix up it was Rio Corkhill who we got from Walney Cents.
    Last edited by STIDDY; 9th November 2022 at 15:52.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    You would hope that we try similar deals for other championship players with potential. This deal seems a win win for all parties - Barrow, Ritson and Saints.
    given that we have a salary cap exemption for Rugby Union players, would it be worthwhile introducing an exemption for Championship players in this kind of deal?

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo8 View Post
    given that we have a salary cap exemption for Rugby Union players, would it be worthwhile introducing an exemption for Championship players in this kind of deal?
    Would be open to abuse - Koukash buys two clubs, one in SL and one in Championship/LeagueOne, signs players to the championship club and then loans them to the SL club to utilise the exemption. Now arguably, Koukash could buy a union club and a league club and create a stream on returning RU players, but that would be quite a bit more effort, and much slower

Then again, I have absolutely no idea how this deal is structured from a cap perspective so maybe!

In The South Stand

I’m happy about this signing and the mechanism. I hope he does well and has a big future with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    I’m happy about this signing and the mechanism. I hope he does well and has a big future with us.
    I think fans will need to be patient on Ritson's progress, at the moment he is not superleague standard at all. The coaches might need 6 months to get him use to the team defensive structure and attack plays. Matt Daniels will also need a good few months to work on his strength and conditioning.

Learning All The Songs

I think fans will need to be patient on Ritson's progress, at the moment he is not superleague standard at all. The coaches might need 6 months to get him use to the team defensive structure and attack plays. Matt Daniels will also need a good few months to work on his strength and conditioning.
    Im sure this is correct but on the other hand if he doesn't break into the first team relatively quickly he will find himself back playing for Barrow on a weekly basis. This is a clever deal because the onus is on him to win his place. I hope he does so quickly, but if not then there is a fallback

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Would be open to abuse - Koukash buys two clubs, one in SL and one in Championship/LeagueOne, signs players to the championship club and then loans them to the SL club to utilise the exemption. Now arguably, Koukash could buy a union club and a league club and create a stream on returning RU players, but that would be quite a bit more effort, and much slower

Then again, I have absolutely no idea how this deal is structured from a cap perspective so maybe!
    Was there something similar going on between Leeds and Hunslet a few years ago?