Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Home & Away Kit 2023 Revealed

Got A Season Ticket

Whilst I agree that the O'Neills kit and leisure clothing has generally been of a pretty rubbish designs and quality, the club must take blame for this.
    As with any sporting company, the club have to sign off on all merchandise from both a design and material perspective. Without that sign-off the clothing manufacturer wouldn't touch it.
    My daughter is a fashion designer and has worked for companies such as Umbro, and quite often the design company will try and cut corners to save money, etc - if they can get away with using material that only costs them £X instead of £Y but are still getting the same cut of the selling price, then why wouldn't they try it to make a higher margin. Also, from a design point of view, if they can knock something out with minimal effort, they don't need to employ as many staff because they don't need to spend as long on each design.
    It's up to the club itself to police this and kick back where they think either the design or the quality of the merchandise doesn't come up to the standards that befit the club, something that Saints sadly seem to be lacking in.

There will still be the Magic kit for those that think they should have done something different for the anniversary.
    I haven't remotely liked a kit in years but really love both next season's efforts. They look exactly what our kits should look like for me.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    I don't know what people want sometimes.

For me, this is up there with the best home and away combinations of kits that we've ever had.

If you look at most football tops, especially home ones, they don't change much. Fans want to see their clubs in familiar designs, So for people to complain because we've brought out a traditional looking kit that looks like a traditional looking kit we had a few years ago is just crackers.
    Stayed away after my initial post was probably considered a rant, despite saying it's really nice and better than we've had for a while.

But, I can like the kit and still think we could have done better.

Question: would you have liked to see the town crest on the shirt instead of the SL era badge for 2023 only?
    Question: would it have been more memorable to have a red band instead of the vee to denote the history of the club for 2023 only?
    Question: would it have been better to have had a clean neckline instead of a pointless red dash on either side?

A plain white shirt with the town crest on the left chest with '150' underneath it, a red band and a clean neck would have looked classy as hell. You do it for one year, it would become a modern classic top synonymous with 2023 and our 150th year. The one we have is really nice, I like it, but it's a wasted opportunity. We could have worn that in 2024 when we went back to normal, because this is a normal kit, not a special one. It's okay to like the top and still have hoped for something else.

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Stayed away after my initial post was probably considered a rant, despite saying it's really nice and better than we've had for a while.

But, I can like the kit and still think we could have done better.

Question: would you have liked to see the town crest on the shirt instead of the SL era badge for 2023 only?
    Question: would it have been more memorable to have a red band instead of the vee to denote the history of the club for 2023 only?
    Question: would it have been better to have had a clean neckline instead of a pointless red dash on either side?

A plain white shirt with the town crest on the left chest with '150' underneath it, a red band and a clean neck would have looked classy as hell. You do it for one year, it would become a modern classic top synonymous with 2023 and our 150th year. The one we have is really nice, I like it, but it's a wasted opportunity. We could have worn that in 2024 when we went back to normal, because this is a normal kit, not a special one. It's okay to like the top and still have hoped for something else.
    I get your point completely(a point that's clearly been missed) and that you're not unhappy with the shirts, the centenary season we came up with the centenary shirt then that became our away shirt in our first SL season. I'd class that as an iconic shirt that celebrated a landmark.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    There will still be the Magic kit for those that think they should have done something different for the anniversary.
    I haven't remotely liked a kit in years but really love both next season's efforts. They look exactly what our kits should look like for me.
    They are the best we've had in a long time (Although now the new one is out, last years looks very, very classy, but that might be because Matty Lees is on the advert and I might have a slight man crush on him, but we won't talk about that). But the Magic shout is a good one. Instead of a charity logo based one that about 50 people buy, we could do a proper retro effort. Red band, with the name of all our legendary players, town badge and the stickman featuring. No sponsors, maybe just a subtle charity one.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    It's just a lazy effort from O'Neills as ever. They had a design template for our kits the year they first took us on and it hasn't changed. If you look at several aspects of the design, they never change. The collar for example, it's entirely identical to several kits we've already had. If someone had walked round town in that kit last week, I doubt anyone would have noticed it's new. My kids are all getting the away kit. Their reasons were 'I've already got the home kit haven't I?'.

It's the best home and away kit we've had under O'Neills, I'll agree with that. It's the kit they should have brought out when they first started making our shirts. But the fact that it's got a 'meh' reaction says everything you need to know about it. Hopefully O'Neills put a bit more effort into the training/leisure wear range this year. That is another area when both O'Neills and the club could make a killing. Good quality, well designed vest, shorts (with zips), training pants and hoodies would fly off the shelves quicker than they could make them. Every year you go in the club shop and it's a choice between the clubs own brand stuff, which makes your local market seem fancy and the O'Neills stuff which is all horrendous. There are amateur clubs with better training kits than we get.

Getting away from O'Neills to a Castore or Hummell would be a boon for us I feel. If we can't do that as we've signed up long term, at least getting them to refresh the base template they use every year would be good. We really need to think about a red band kit too.
    Agree with the training kit. O Neills products look cheap and are poor quality. The ISC ones were superb quality and lasted years. However as I have said on here some time ago the ISC deal meant that we had to buy one off stock and we were invariably left with surplus stock every year that we couldn't shift even with reduced prices. This was due to the lead times from ISC.

With O Neills we can buy in batches so financially for the club its a good deal.

NB I wear a lot of Castore stuff and the quality is excellent.

Learning All The Songs Two Wheeled Saint's Avatar

Both kits very classic this year but not sure they've tempted me into buying one for the first time in years - plus, way too many sponsors, but this day and age never going to get away from that. Hope for some decent training/leisurewear gear this year after some terrible designs last year (including the kits in that too).

I wonder if there will be something more to mark the anniversary at a later date, or maybe the Magic shirt for this year....?
    I ate a tuna sandwich on my first day!

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    Agree with the training kit. O Neills products look cheap and are poor quality. The ISC ones were superb quality and lasted years. However as I have said on here some time ago the ISC deal meant that we had to buy one off stock and we were invariably left with surplus stock every year that we couldn't shift even with reduced prices. This was due to the lead times from ISC.

With O Neills we can buy in batches so financially for the club its a good deal.

Agree and I remember Mike Rush telling us the rationale behind that.

ISC stuff was good but the other downside was that the merch they had in the shop pre season was exactly the same they had at the end of the season. I don't care for a lot of the O'Neills stuff and think some of it pricey for the quality but at least the shop is refreshed quite often with new lines. Im assuming they sell plenty of it otherwise Im sure they would have changed it by now.

Training wear coming tomorrow by the looks of it on the Saints FB page, lets hope for some non-garish designs/styles.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by BigTuna View Post
    Training wear coming tomorrow by the looks of it on the Saints FB page, lets hope for some non-garish designs/styles.
    Unlucky with that hope. Undoubtedly they’ll fly off the selves, but not for me unfortunately

In The South Stand

The training gear is pretty good by O’Neills standard. Not too many with random designs or colours, which makes for a nice change. Had hoped for a few designs based on old shirts or showing the clubs history but I didn’t think O’Neills would even bother with that.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The South Stand

Slightly changed my mind, they’ve lobbed Saints all over the back of some of the training shirts. I could just about live with the random lines on it but that’s gone from being something I’d probably buy to close but no, thanks.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Slightly changed my mind, they’ve lobbed Saints all over the back of some of the training shirts. I could just about live with the random lines on it but that’s gone from being something I’d probably buy to close but no, thanks.
    I like the front look of the polo shirt and the pullover, are they ones with Saints on the back?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I like the front look of the polo shirt and the pullover, are they ones with Saints on the back?
    Appears just to be the t-shirts they’ve put Saints four times on.

In The South Stand

Again, the reuse of a design template they brought in about 7 years ago. I genuinely don't think O'Neills employ any designers, they just have existing templates they just alter the colours on.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Samphire15 View Post
    Whilst I agree that the O'Neills kit and leisure clothing has generally been of a pretty rubbish designs and quality, the club must take blame for this.
    As with any sporting company, the club have to sign off on all merchandise from both a design and material perspective. Without that sign-off the clothing manufacturer wouldn't touch it.
    My daughter is a fashion designer and has worked for companies such as Umbro, and quite often the design company will try and cut corners to save money, etc - if they can get away with using material that only costs them £X instead of £Y but are still getting the same cut of the selling price, then why wouldn't they try it to make a higher margin. Also, from a design point of view, if they can knock something out with minimal effort, they don't need to employ as many staff because they don't need to spend as long on each design.
    It's up to the club itself to police this and kick back where they think either the design or the quality of the merchandise doesn't come up to the standards that befit the club, something that Saints sadly seem to be lacking in.
    I think you're arguing against yourself a bit there. If they're getting a cut of sales then surely they want the kit to be as popular as possible rather than knock something out as cheap and quick as possible?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigTuna View Post
    With the exception of the black hoodie don't like any of the other stuff. Whats happening with the 2 patches near the underarm have they run out of material. Same for that "weak" V starting from the underarm should start more near the shoulder. All about meh to me, will just buy the replica gome shirt because of the 150 years logo. Will have a proper look when I pick up my season ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    With the exception of the black hoodie don't like any of the other stuff. Whats happening with the 2 patches near the underarm have they run out of material. Same for that "weak" V starting from the underarm should start more near the shoulder. All about meh to me, will just buy the replica gome shirt because of the 150 years logo. Will have a proper look when I pick up my season ticket.
    I agree unfortunately, not much to go at from that release really is there

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealHarryPinner View Post
    I think you're arguing against yourself a bit there. If they're getting a cut of sales then surely they want the kit to be as popular as possible rather than knock something out as cheap and quick as possible?
    The problem is, that the club will virtually sell out in everything as, due to the club now being stricter on the copyright of the club crest, there is nothing else for the fans to buy.
    I think that you'll agree the general opinion is that O'Neills merchandise lacks design appeal, lacks quality, etc, with the same old, same old being regurgitated each year.
    I do but a shirt each year (more through a sense of patriotism) but I can't remember the last time I bought any of the training or leisure wear.
    Interesting that I think that us and Wire are the only ones now still with O'Neills, maybe that tells a story in itself (and Warrington never have the situation where the away strip is just the home strip in different colours - so who does that sit with?)

Learning All The Songs

I do think our time with O’Neills has run its course, the training gear has constantly been substandard and whilst the playing kits have been up and down in terms of design the quality has been pretty poor. Hopefully this is the last year we are with O’Neills and we end up with a better supplier next season, maybe a local prestigious brand like Castore.

Got A Season Ticket

Love the kits but the training wear is just "meh"

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Thanks

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

The vests too.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    I do think our time with O’Neills has run its course, the training gear has constantly been substandard and whilst the playing kits have been up and down in terms of design the quality has been pretty poor. Hopefully this is the last year we are with O’Neills and we end up with a better supplier next season, maybe a local prestigious brand like Castore.
    Does anyone know when the O'Neills agreement runs out?
    I've looked through both the clubs and O'Neills websites and can find nothing since we extended the partnership for two years back in 2017