Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Saints to join new NRL competition?

Learning All The Songs

Also, Redcliffe or Titans week one would be fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    There’s got to be some give and take though and it’s easier for us to try it out over there first. The icing on the cake for me would be if Channel 4 or someone else, not Sky, were to get the TV rights but I assume they’ll go with the NRL rights, which Sky already have.
    Exactly, we have hosted the WCC more than the Aussies have. This has mainly been down to the strength of the GB Pound vs the Aussie Dollar so it was a good money spinner for an NRL side to come here. Now that is no longer true it makes more sense for us to go over to Australia more.

The fact that the NRL commission have actually factored us into their plans is really refreshing. We found out they weren't coming for the World Cup in 2021 because they arranged SOO at the end of year and then needed reminding they still had to pull out.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Do Wigan not get an invite?

To be fair they won one of the two major trophies on offer
    If it is success who knows maybe it could be expanded. I guess there is an expense to getting us out there so probably start with one team and then go from there.

If you look back at the 1997 WCC, it was too much, too early. A lot of the games were one sided and once you got past the big name teams you ended up with Oldham vs Adelaide.

There is still plenty that can go wrong that could mess this tournament up. There is was talk about the NRL players union not being happy with the communication between them and the NRL commission this morning. They could be an obstacle in getting this green lighted.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.