Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Bennison to wear number 5 in 2023

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    When did this happen? On the squad number announcement, or has this been announced separately?
    They haven't, they just gave him a squad number. Same with George Delaney, he has a squad number but I haven't seen an announcement over any contract.

I wonder if the club have left the door slightly open for Grace to return. Success in Rugby Union is not guaranteed for anyone and the Ritson deal seems to be one the club could reverse easily.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

In The South Stand

You take a break from the board and suddenly Ritson is signed. It sounds like a good move to me. Let’s hope he’s a big success.

Wrong thread.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    They haven't, they just gave him a squad number. Same with George Delaney, he has a squad number but I haven't seen an announcement over any contract.

I wonder if the club have left the door slightly open for Grace to return. Success in Rugby Union is not guaranteed for anyone and the Ritson deal seems to be one the club could reverse easily.
    Never thought of that - but interesting point of view, obviously we wouldn't get first refusal on him, but not really the type of player others would necessarily break the bank to sign

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    Makinson is a centre, Wellens, Roby, Swift stand offs. Steve Prescott a winger, Luke Thompson a second rower.

At academy level that is. We have no idea what Bennison will become. He has played full back so far but talented young players play in positions that get them involved. He may end up being a full back at some point in his career but at the moment Welsby is our full back, Lomax is our stand off and Dodd is our scrum half. If Bennison is in the team when everyone is fit it is on the wing
    A 100% fit Hopoate would be my full back , Welsby stand off .

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    That’s not a bad idea. What do you propose for the second half of that game when Hopoate goes off with an injury?
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Noooobie

Scrum half?

So you're dropping Jonny then are you?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WidnesExile View Post
    So you're dropping Jonny then are you?
    Probably further down the track and could be as early as 2024 season. Bennison @ full back, Welsby @ stand off, Dodd @ scrum half, Bruines @ centre, Robertson @ centre (maybe). Welsby and Dodd will be fully seasoned pro's by then.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Probably further down the track and could be as early as 2024 season. Bennison @ full back, Welsby @ stand off, Dodd @ scrum half, Bruines @ centre, Robertson @ centre (maybe). Welsby and Dodd will be fully seasoned pro's by then.
    But you're talking while Hopoate is playing so we're talking next season.

In The West Stand

It’s a shame we can’t have a remind feature in 5 years to see how close this is. It’s a big year for the likes of Sambou, Hill and Lane, either force themselves into these types of conversations or they’ll fall by the wayside

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    It’s a shame we can’t have a remind feature in 5 years to see how close this is. It’s a big year for the likes of Sambou, Hill and Lane, either force themselves into these types of conversations or they’ll fall by the wayside
    In the past we normally had just 2 or 3 players from the Academy challenging for a first 21 place, presently we,ve got 7 or 8 players who are in that mould, Bennison and Norman being established in the squad with Archer, Delaney, Bruines, Sambou, Pemberton, Hill and Lane knocking on the door.

For me Bennison, Norman, Delaney and possibly Bruines to feature more next season without too much drop off in overall team performance.

Learning All The Songs

and when will that happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    and when will that happen?
    Welsby at stand off means you're dropping Lomax or Dodd never going to happen the only place Hopoate starts is on the wing everyone fit

Learning All The Songs

If the squad is all fit I don't think Hopoate is in the first 17, but if he has a chance it is a right centre. For me Hurrell is first choice there though. After last season Hopoate would be a useful cover for injuries at fullback, centre or wing. Welsby and Bennison are probably ahead of him for fullback unless he shows that he can play a run of games for 80 minutes without injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    If the squad is all fit I don't think Hopoate is in the first 17, but if he has a chance it is a right centre. For me Hurrell is first choice there though. After last season Hopoate would be a useful cover for injuries at fullback, centre or wing. Welsby and Bennison are probably ahead of him for fullback unless he shows that he can play a run of games for 80 minutes without injury.
    An injury free 100% fit Hopoate would probably be seen as a first choice player in that backline as per the original signing with Hurrell as a second choice centre. He's going to be under enormous pressure though to keep that shirt, I,ve had him in the "last chance saloon" twice last season just hoping we see Hopoate at his skilful best for the majority of the season.

Looking at our backline options for next season, we have 3 players each challenging for the 2 centre, 2 wingers, 2 half backs and full back roles.

Learning All The Songs

An injury free 100% fit Hopoate would probably be seen as a first choice player in that backline as per the original signing with Hurrell as a second choice centre. He's going to be under enormous pressure though to keep that shirt, I,ve had him in the "last chance saloon" twice last season just hoping we see Hopoate at his skilful best for the majority of the season.

Looking at our backline options for next season, we have 3 players each challenging for the 2 centre, 2 wingers, 2 half backs and full back roles.
    I agree, if Hopoate is fit but that’s a big if in my view. His best position is fullback but Welsby is a better fullback I think. Hurrell is a better fit for Ritson if he becomes a first team choice. Hurrell is more destructive at centre than Hopoate. Having said that, it’s hard to be sure because Hopoate has never been fit for two or three consecutive games. A second concern for me is Percival’s ability to stay fit.

Who are the players you see as challenging for those positions? Fullback, stand off and scrum half are nailed on if the 3 favourites are fit

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    I agree, if Hopoate is fit but that’s a big if in my view. His best position is fullback but Welsby is a better fullback I think. Hurrell is a better fit for Ritson if he becomes a first team choice. Hurrell is more destructive at centre than Hopoate. Having said that, it’s hard to be sure because Hopoate has never been fit for two or three consecutive games. A second concern for me is Percival’s ability to stay fit.

Who are the players you see as challenging for those positions? Fullback, stand off and scrum half are nailed on if the 3 favourites are fit
    I,ve got Hurrell 3rd choice centre, Bennison/Hill for full back, Archer/Moss for half back. Sambou injury free now to cover wing and we can includec Bennison. My wild card is Bruines he looked a great prospect in some of the training clips for a back line spot. As we know Welsby can just about play anywhere except prop and still be a game changer

In The West Stand

Welsby
    Makinson Hurrell Percival Ritson
    Lomax Dodd

Bennison
    Sambou Hopoate Bruines Hill
    Archer Moss

D Sambou, Robertson, Gilford, Lane all wildcards underneath. We’re definitely well stocked, just need some cream to rise to the top.

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Welsby
    Makinson Hurrell Percival Ritson
    Lomax Dodd

Bennison
    Archer Moss

D Sambou, Robertson, Gilford, Lane all wildcards underneath. We’re definitely well stocked, just need some cream to rise to the top.
    Good shout MSB , puts things in perspective.

Add to that Ben Davis, notionally a centre but more likely to challenge in the Back row.

A lot of talk about "fitting" Hopoate in.
    Its all on him.
    He needs to get fit first , then challenge for a spot.

A lot of players ahead of him and a big cost.
    Uncertainty over Percival probably offers him his biggest chance to get a startng shirt.
    I can't see him still being on the books by seasons end.

I have high hopes for Bruines.

Welsby
    Ritson Hurrell Percival Makinson
    Lomax Dodd

Bennison
    Archer Moss

Learning All The Songs

[QUOTE=Gerry Mander;862318]

Its all on him.

Welsby
    Lomax Dodd

I agree with you, and this would be my preferred back line up as well.

We do seem to have very good strength in depth

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post

Add to that Ben Davis, notionally a centre but more likely to challenge in the Back row.

Its all on him.

Uncertainty over Percival probably offers him his biggest chance to get a startng shirt.

Welsby
    Lomax Dodd

Bennison
    Archer Moss
    His contract will be up at the end of the season,there is an option for a 3rd year,but i'n not sure who's favour that is in. I doubt we will resign him even if he has a good year.

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    His contract will be up at the end of the season,there is an option for a 3rd year,but i'n not sure who's favour that is in. I doubt we will resign him even if he has a good year.
    He was on a POD with an ex-pat englishman who is a coach in OZ (forgotten his name).
    This was at the start of last season before he had played a game.
    He was asked how long he was at Saints. The answer was two years.

After the disasterous LaFranky option I think all options agreed are now are in the club's favour.
    Player options are meaningless.

If a couple of those young guns kick on and he breaks down again then
    I can see a compromise agreement mid season.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post

Its all on him.

Welsby
    Lomax Dodd

Bennison
    Archer Moss
    I did assume Davies would be lining up in the back row, as he has a real opportunity to put himself in the frame by offering a passing game in backrow.

Welsby
    Lomax Dodd
    Walmsley Roby Lees
    Mata’utia Batchelor
    Knowles

Lussick Sironen Paasi LMS

Bennison
    Archer Moss
    Wingfield Pemberton Norman
    Royle Davies
    Bell

Nolan Buckley Baxter Delaney

It may be arrogant but that B team wouldn’t finish bottom of the league imo.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Genuinely tough to pick full a team if everyone is fit and available (without turning into a Hopoate debate) - we've not had that luxury for a few years.

I'd say only Makinson, Percival and Lomax (probably Dodd) are guaranteed to play in their set position this year, Welsby obviously will play either full back or half back (likely full back) Bennison, Hopoate, Hurrell and Ritson will make up the rest, Hurrell may play a bit in Second Row (which we all thought he might last year)

Bennison is probably slightly ahead of Ritson at the moment

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Genuinely tough to pick full a team if everyone is fit and available (without turning into a Hopoate debate) - we've not had that luxury for a few years.

I'd say only Makinson, Percival and Lomax (probably Dodd) are guaranteed to play in their set position this year, Welsby obviously will play either full back or half back (likely full back) Bennison, Hopoate, Hurrell and Ritson will make up the rest, Hurrell may play a bit in Second Row (which we all thought he might last year)

Bennison is probably slightly ahead of Ritson at the moment
    Not sure about that personally. For me there is probably only positions 3 and 5 up for debate when everyone is fit.

Welsby
    Makinson
    Hopoate/Hurrell
    Percival
    Ritson/Bennison
    Lomax
    Dodd
    Walmsley
    Roby
    Lees
    Batchelor
    Sironen
    Knowles

Lussick
    Matautia
    LMS
    Paasi

Unless you are referring only to the backs in your post?
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS