Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: TWS / RL atmosphere.

Got A Season Ticket

Default TWS / RL atmosphere.

I noticed on TV that the international game that was at TWS , during a break in play, there was an injection of music or some kind of sound. I think this is a great idea, adds more of a festival feel to a game. Not the usual only after a try stuff.

I'm a big fan of baseball (World Series starts on Friday) and if you watch how the MLB inject music and sound during the game it can't half create a great atmosphere. I would definitely look into that if I was in the IMG group and how it can create positive environments. Just my 2p!

this may be fine for those in the stadium but as a tv viewer i couldn't hear the commentary or video ref because of the noise. maybe the bbc could adjust the sound balance to reduce the background noise?

Learning All The Songs

To be honest, I think it actually stifles atmosphere. There isn't any atmosphere at international games so it doesn't really matter for that, but I hate whenever there's music/bands being played during warm ups at Saints games because you cant get any chants going. Pre warm up it's great for filtering in and having some background noise, but once the players are out let the fans take over.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

On a side note, when I spoke to a few of the staff at the saints stadium they were all saying the same thing that the party atmosphere outside and inside the ground has been fantastic for these world cup games.
    Last edited by STIDDY; 26th October 2022 at 08:52.

i'm not sure what they were thinking about last night in warrington when both teams knelt together in silent prayer to the accompaniment of blaring techno pop over the pa system.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

They had a bit of a lights arch, fire eaters and music on the grassed area, nothing much - but enough to make it a bit different.

I must admit, I think the music is a good idea during the breaks, it's something they do at the cricket between overs and works well, usually combined with some interaction with the crowd (obviously you need a screen)

I think having someone with a bit of knowledge of the game helps know when to play the music and when not.

In The South Stand

Not sure of the necessity for a short burst of music mid-game, I don’t think it’s going to do anything for the atmosphere or make people suddenly start making noise. If we need to create an artificial atmosphere, something is not right.

The matchday experience could do with shaking up a bit at Saints. There’s enough land around the stadium and space in the stadium to try things, though how much resistance there would be from businesses in the town centre, I’m not sure.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by TheRLStatman View Post
    I noticed on TV that the international game that was at TWS , during a break in play, there was an injection of music or some kind of sound. I think this is a great idea, adds more of a festival feel to a game. Not the usual only after a try stuff.

I'm a big fan of baseball (World Series starts on Friday) and if you watch how the MLB inject music and sound during the game it can't half create a great atmosphere. I would definitely look into that if I was in the IMG group and how it can create positive environments. Just my 2p!
    No,No,No from me, but I'm a grumpy old so & so so may not be best judge of what younger people expect.

Maybe if it encouraged my grandkids to go and enjoy it it could be a good thing

Must admit about 30 yrs or so ago I took my kids to the old Wembley Stadium for one of the big American Wrestling Events, "Summerslam" I think.

They use all the razzmatazz and music and flashing lights, the full showbiz package. The place was packed (and it was expensive)

Actually it was a good weekend, Wrestling was Saturday night, then after breakfast left London and straight up the motorway to Headingly and watched Saints beat Leeds

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    On a side note, when I spoke to a few of the staff at the saints stadium they were all saying the same thing that the party atmosphere outside and inside the ground has been fantastic for these world cup games.
    Is that because of the Polynesian Islanders input - especially Tonga?
    Will be interesting to see if it's the same on Saturday when Australia play Italy.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Samphire15 View Post
    Is that because of the Polynesian Islanders input - especially Tonga?
    Will be interesting to see if it's the same on Saturday when Australia play Italy.
    It was, the girls in the ticket office mentioned how colourful and musical it was outside the ground.

My initial reaction was to reject such musical interventions during the game, remembering the forced attempts to get the Bradford crowd singing player-related ditties such as “Hey McNamara” during the Bullmania days. But I then recalled being at Yankees baseball and Jets American Football games where the atmosphere was enhanced by the public address chants/music. Admittedly there was no danger of these cutting across crowd singing which was totally absent but perhaps it could work at rugby games provided the control of it was in the hands of someone who understands the ebb and flow of crowd involvement.

The atmosphere at most non-derby SL games are terrible. Crowds of a few thousand aren't exactly going to make it exciting in the ground or on the TV, so anything that can be done for those little intervals to try and make some kind of atmosphere I would be all for.

As mentioned, in most US sports there are multiple times in a game where the game is stopped for one reason or another, same with cricket, and there is always some kind of music or noise played to then get the crowd involved, which is what need (one of many things) to try and pull RL back back from the edge of cliff in terms of attendances and viewing figures.
    I ate a tuna sandwich on my first day!

Got A Season Ticket saintstreble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheRLStatman View Post

Thing is, would be all well and good if we had a decent sound system. The sound and PA system at Saints is absolute shite and almost mute. If you go to the likes of Salford, Wigan etc. they have proper PA systems where you can actually hear the music and the people speaking on it. Been shocking the entire time at the new stadium, it’s like they transferred the old PA from Knowsley Road.

It's worth a go. I think what we need to think about is that for the die hard fan it perhaps makes no odds but in terms of creating an all round package for families its a good idea as long as its done at the right times and isn't overbearing.

Quote Originally Posted by BackrowSaint View Post
    To be honest, I think it actually stifles atmosphere. There isn't any atmosphere at international games so it doesn't really matter for that, but I hate whenever there's music/bands being played during warm ups at Saints games because you cant get any chants going. Pre warm up it's great for filtering in and having some background noise, but once the players are out let the fans take over.
    I completely agree.

I'll probably sound like an old fart for saying this, but one of the ways you used to be able to tell that a match was really big was that you could almost feel the crackle of atmosphere as the crowd got warmed up for the game — there'd be a buzz of excited conversation going round and gradually the chants would get going. Now you can't hear the atmosphere developing because there is constantly loud music or somebody telling you to get ready through the PA. This struck me most at the recent Wembley cup finals.

I'm generally in favour of excitement being generated organically by the game itself, rather than a PA system broadcasting an implicit instruction to be excited (whether in the form of song or encouragement or that cowboy trumpet thing or whatever).

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I completely agree.

I'll probably sound like an old fart for saying this, but one of the ways you used to be able to tell that a match was really big was that you could almost feel the crackle of atmosphere as the crowd got warmed up for the game — there'd be a buzz of excited conversation going round and gradually the chants would get going. Now you can't hear the atmosphere developing because there is constantly loud music or somebody telling you to get ready through the PA. This struck me most at the recent Wembley cup finals.

I'm generally in favour of excitement being generated organically by the game itself, rather than a PA system broadcasting an implicit instruction to be excited (whether in the form of song or encouragement or that cowboy trumpet thing or whatever).
    And that's the problem, there aren't enough "big" games anymore in order to generate those kinds of atmospheres. Even the Saints v Wigan derbies are a bit flat these days compared to the games of the 90's and 2000's, but Leeds/Bradford/Warrington would be up there for the atmosphere in those days too but now they all feel like just another game, so there is something needed in order to try and lift those games.

Quote Originally Posted by JBT View Post
    And that's the problem, there aren't enough "big" games anymore in order to generate those kinds of atmospheres. Even the Saints v Wigan derbies are a bit flat these days compared to the games of the 90's and 2000's, but Leeds/Bradford/Warrington would be up there for the atmosphere in those days too but now they all feel like just another game, so there is something needed in order to try and lift those games.
    But my feeling is that in most cases it actually hinders rather than helping; my point is that one of the reasons the games feel the same is that they are all made to sound the same.

I also think we should be comfortable with the fact that some games just aren't as big as others — otherwise there wouldn't be such a thing as a big game.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    It was, the girls in the ticket office mentioned how colourful and musical it was outside the ground.
    There's some videos going round on Twitter of the Tongans singing and dancing. Also one of the Welsh players and supporters singing Delilah with them outside the stadium reception.

Worth a look.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

We used to sing 'Saints fans don't need a drum'.
    I would extend that to playing daft bits of music, bull fighting trumpets and the bloody Mexican wave when there's a game on!
    ...But then I'm a grumpy old git.

Regarding the WC. I went to Tonga v PNG. I thought the dancing girls on the way to TW looked a bit sleazy. We were quite late getting there so not many people about. They just started dancing about as we approached. A bit too much of a 'personal' service IMO!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I completely agree.

I think one of the biggest killers of the atmosphere and pre game build up among the crowd is the amount seating.

But my feeling is that in most cases it actually hinders rather than helping; my point is that one of the reasons the games feel the same is that they are all made to sound the same.

I also think we should be comfortable with the fact that some games just aren't as big as others — otherwise there wouldn't be such a thing as a big game.
    And that is half the problem with the game as a whole, just accepting mediocrity. Accepting that there just aren't big games anymore, and only having the derby games as "big" games. Sport should be about developing, changing, improving, challenging yourself (as a person and as a team) to compete with the best, and that is something SL just doesn't do. Half of the "big teams" of old have fallen away (Cas, Widnes, Bradford). They don't develop any superstars and just rely on 2nd or 3rd rate overseas players to come in - where is the next Sculthorpe, Farrell, Sinfield, Burrow, Long, Cunningham, Wellens, Radlinski? How many times was the debate of who should start at fullback for England, who should be the hooker, who is the best half back pairing? No debate now really is there - the England and GB teams pretty much pick themselves because there is no one coming through to make what we have now any better.

IMO the game has become stagnant, boring and predictable for the most part - games you pretty much know who will win before kick off. You know who will be in the playoff's at the end of the season and who in the relegation fight. As much as I enjoy Saints winning the GF every year, I've pretty much switched off from SL now as a whole, as gone are the days of having pretty much a big game every week that you could look forward to as a neutral - Leeds v Bradford, Bradford v Wigan, Wigan v Hull, the Hull derby, Warrington v Widnes etc. Switching my TV on now to see Salford v Cas or HKR v Huddersfield with 3000 people in the ground isn't exactly what I'd call a great watch.

So yes, it might sound the same for the majority if some atmosphere is artificially pumped into the stadium, but I'm sure if clubs put their minds to it they could develop their own sounds - things to prompt fans into the usual old school chants etc. or even some new ones, to get the atmosphere where it should be to make the neutral or casual viewer tune in or stick with watching it.

And that is half the problem with the game as a whole, just accepting mediocrity. Accepting that there just aren't big games anymore, and only having the derby games as "big" games. Sport should be about developing, changing, improving, challenging yourself (as a person and as a team) to compete with the best, and that is something SL just doesn't do. Half of the "big teams" of old have fallen away (Cas, Widnes, Bradford). They don't develop any superstars and just rely on 2nd or 3rd rate overseas players to come in - where is the next Sculthorpe, Farrell, Sinfield, Burrow, Long, Cunningham, Wellens, Radlinski? How many times was the debate of who should start at fullback for England, who should be the hooker, who is the best half back pairing? No debate now really is there - the England and GB teams pretty much pick themselves because there is no one coming through to make what we have now any better.

IMO the game has become stagnant, boring and predictable for the most part - games you pretty much know who will win before kick off. You know who will be in the playoff's at the end of the season and who in the relegation fight. As much as I enjoy Saints winning the GF every year, I've pretty much switched off from SL now as a whole, as gone are the days of having pretty much a big game every week that you could look forward to as a neutral - Leeds v Bradford, Bradford v Wigan, Wigan v Hull, the Hull derby, Warrington v Widnes etc. Switching my TV on now to see Salford v Cas or HKR v Huddersfield with 3000 people in the ground isn't exactly what I'd call a great watch.

So yes, it might sound the same for the majority if some atmosphere is artificially pumped into the stadium, but I'm sure if clubs put their minds to it they could develop their own sounds - things to prompt fans into the usual old school chants etc. or even some new ones, to get the atmosphere where it should be to make the neutral or casual viewer tune in or stick with watching it.
    Of course I'm not saying the game shouldn't strive to improve. Obviously it should. It's just a fact that some games are bigger than others. That will always be true, even in the unlikely event of the game taking off and becoming a global superpower. And that is why big games are special — you can't have big games without small games; if everything is special then nothing is special. Trying to fake a way out of that reality doesn't ring true.

Incidentally, I should add that I think clever use of music/anthems that mean something to the club can play a part in building an atmosphere. I think PL clubs do this well, for example. It's just the mindless pumping out of generic stuff that I think is counterproductive.

Noooobie
    A Run Down Terraced House In Newton Le Willows

Used to love the "saints are coming" by the skids prior to kick off and only stopping as the game kicked off.
    Certainly got me in the mood.

Learning All The Songs

Atmospheres also used to be dreadful in the 90’s and early 2000’s it’s not something new, it’s as if you’re saying that every home match the atmos was electric. In the 90’s you wouldn’t even know there was a game on at KR the crowd was that quiet. It’s not just RL that has poor atmospheres, look at football they get games of 75,000, 55,000 and they say there is more atmosphere in space.