Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: World club challenge

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    I’m all for a WCC home or away as long as both teams take it seriously. Saints and Penrith are the clear dominant teams in Super League and the NRL, it would be a massive shame not to have a showdown between the two clubs.
    Agree with this, but the timing isn't conducive to our season.

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

Could always turn it into the Academy tour. Sure Derek would like another trip down under.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

I think we should go for it, provided that the NRL covers the cost to go over just like we have done for NRL clubs in the past. Here is an interesting stat, since the year 2000 only the Roosters have travelled to the other side of the world, won a WCC and then gone on to win the GF that year (christ I sound like Phil Clarke). Would it affect us that much that we wouldn't win the GF? I don't think so. We pride ourselves on our mentality and attitude, if we don't win the GF it will be because of how we have performed come playoff/gf time and not because we played in Aus 6 months earlier.
    Last edited by SaintJon; 26th October 2022 at 13:59.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Euroboy View Post
    https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...c8551290b6040a

I hope this doesnt go ahead as it will disrupt the start of our season given we will be 2 games in when the Aussies want to play it.
    I agree. It’s completely pointless. It just gets in the way, especially if we have to travel to Australia.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Saint View Post
    Unfortunately seems were just as bad as the Aussie fans looking at some of these posts.

Winning in Sydney is something you can tell the grandkids it's the pinnacle and yet people are questioning it because it will disrupt a few games ? Give over.

SL shows you only need win half your games have a chance of winning the thing. On the back of the world cup I think we will start slowly anyway.
    If Penrith was to play a weakened side, then we shouldn't bother...... but if they go full strength and we was to win over there then it would possibly be the biggest victory in the club's history. It's always been on the bucket list for me so I am ready and waiting for the dates. It would do more to cement this current side in the rugby league history books then another grand final win.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Agree with this, but the timing isn't conducive to our season.
    We play 27 rounds, we typically throw a couple of games a year anyway, our chances aren’t going to be stifled by losing a couple of games early on.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Don't read anything into what Penrith say..

They won't want any Pom team beating them in their own back yard

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

If it was a first past the post league table I'd understand the concern but am I the only one thinking let's have a go and have a go at the buggers

Hard to say how it would pan out really. I don't buy the argument of the season not mattering. If we lost 3 games in the first month or so people would be up in arms. To me, I'd be made up to win it but its become an exhibition match. If you play it one year then not for the next two and ad hoc make it up as you go along it's nothing more than that.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newlove View Post
    If it was a first past the post league table I'd understand the concern but am I the only one thinking let's have a go and have a go at the buggers
    Nah I’m with you. And we should respect the competition even if Penrith are too classless to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

Mistake post

Got A Season Ticket

I hope it goes ahead, hope they get a date announced soon so I can look at whether I can make it over there. Potentially the only opportunity I’d get to watch Saints in Australia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    I agree. It’s completely pointless. It just gets in the way, especially if we have to travel to Australia.

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    Dont they play on artificial turf ?? Definite no no for me and Tommy Makinson will not play as broke his leg on one

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

See Saints first fixture against Huddersfield has been postponed to allow discussion for the World Championship to be played on that date.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moore View Post
    See Saints first fixture against Huddersfield has been postponed to allow discussion for the World Championship to be played on that date.
    Good, so the cons can stop banging on about it being pre-season for them given it's pre-season for us too.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post
    Good, so the cons can stop banging on about it being pre-season for them given it's pre-season for us too.
    Yes I wasn't too keen if it was messing up our early Superleague season because the Superleague game before and after the WCC was always a bit of a dissruption. A pre season or a post season WCC was always the right way to go.