Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Penrith

In The South Stand

Default Penrith

The Panthers seem to be doing a very similar thing to us on the field. They've taken the NRL style of play and amped it up a level and are just too intense for the rest of the competition to compete with. It's difficult to see any other club toppling them next season unless something dramatic happens. They also seem to be like us in that their youth teams and reserve grade seems packed with talent and they don't seem to struggle when big names leave.

But despite only winning 2 so far (Good chance they'll match us and win 4) their behaviour is miles away from ours. Did anyone see the reaction from the players when Dylan Edwards won the Clive Churchill medal for Man of the Match in the Grand Final? He got laughed at, senior figures shaking their heads. It was a humiliating walk up for him, horrific stuff. Not one handshake or backslap and barely a clap. Compare and contrast with the reaction when Cleary won it last year.

In The South Stand

The 2022 Backslap Champions, you’ll never sing that.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Cleary is good but the Aussie pundits don’t half talk up their players something chronic, particularly anything that comes out of Sydney area. Soon they’ll be saying Cleary is the best 7 that ever lived. Slater was the best ever fullback but soon they will give that accolade to Tedesco. They go on about Addo Carr as if he’s the best winger ever (probably because he qualifies for NSW) ignoring the fact he’s leaked umpteen tries to his opposite number this year through poor positional play.

Since the 2005 tri nations final the aussies have lost more world cup finals, four nation finals and anzac day tests than any other era of Australia team, including a fairly recent loss to Tonga. Yet they still go on about how unbelievably brilliant they are. It makes me sad that we can’t beat them.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    The 2022 Backslap Champions, you’ll never sing that.
    Got to have some class when you win Dos. A few at Penrith have gone full ego and I think a lot will enjoy their inevitable fall from grace when it eventually happens.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Got to have some class when you win Dos. A few at Penrith have gone full ego and I think a lot will enjoy their inevitable fall from grace when it eventually happens.
    Jerome Luai is a grade A bell. Would love to see him get snotted in the World Cup.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by BackrowSaint View Post
    Jerome Luai is a grade A bell. Would love to see him get snotted in the World Cup.
    Definitely one of those who you'd love if he played for your team, but cringe at when he doesn't. His whole 'You can call me Daddy' to the Parramatta fans is just weird. Can you imagine Jack Welsby or Morgan Knowles getting up on a microphone and telling Wigan to call him Daddy? It's Josh Charnley x 1,000,000 with cream on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Definitely one of those who you'd love if he played for your team, but cringe at when he doesn't. His whole 'You can call me Daddy' to the Parramatta fans is just weird. Can you imagine Jack Welsby or Morgan Knowles getting up on a microphone and telling Wigan to call him Daddy? It's Josh Charnley x 1,000,000 with cream on top.
    That’s poor from him. I’m glad I didn’t watch the post game celebrations now. He’s pretty mouthy for a player that’s carried by his half back partner.

I have a different viewpoint to this.

I have family in Sydney and my nephew has been there since 2008 and is now 21 years old, and has played League at school and at College there and amateur. He comes over every other Xmas and we talk RL a lot, he always says that at school and amateur clubs, it’s pushed onto them about being confident in what you do, never worry and it will give you that extra 3, 4 or 5% to push on and win……

What we see as supreme arrogance is sometimes their secret weapon, the belief that they won’t or can’t lose. To push on, even in the dying minutes……

Kinda like “Never write off the Saints” mentality but running through the blood of every single player at every team and every fan…….
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    I have a different viewpoint to this.

I have family in Sydney and my nephew has been there since 2008 and is now 21 years old, and has played League at school and at College there and amateur. He comes over every other Xmas and we talk RL a lot, he always says that at school and amateur clubs, it’s pushed onto them about being confident in what you do, never worry and it will give you that extra 3, 4 or 5% to push on and win……

What we see as supreme arrogance is sometimes their secret weapon, the belief that they won’t or can’t lose. To push on, even in the dying minutes……

Kinda like “Never write off the Saints” mentality but running through the blood of every single player at every team and every fan…….
    It’s fine having that mentality for the 80 minutes. You can still be gracious before and after the game.

Got A Season Ticket Two Sugars Strong's Avatar

I was discussing the fact that people are still unsure if this Saints side is the best ever team. We are in a golden era, there's no doubt. I think others don't believe this side is the best because they are so humble, everyone who is interviewed talks about playing for the team and supporting each other. Not one arrogant message sent at all. The team play for each other. That in my mind does make them special. I would love to smash Penrith in the world club challenge and ask "who is the daddy?".... The world club challenge title would cement this team into the history books as the greatest side.
    That's the Saints way...

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Too much of a gap between the NRL and Superleague, I don't think the World Club Challenge is played at the right time of the year, should be played a few weeks after the respective Grand Finals. Playing in the Superleague season is a big risk, imagine if we lose a couple of pivotal players then we could be struggling for the remaining year.

Would like a fairly injury free season with less bans next year, we would still be head and shoulders above all the other teams and winning a 5th peat is not out of reach.

In The South Stand

Shame Penrith won as I’d suggest it means 0% chance the WCC will be played.

Classless organisation that will already have written it off, but no doubt will be in the press saying we are scared because we won’t foot 100% of the costs and any other daft demands they decide to throw in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Two Sugars Strong View Post
    I was discussing the fact that people are still unsure if this Saints side is the best ever team. We are in a golden era, there's no doubt. I think others don't believe this side is the best because they are so humble, everyone who is interviewed talks about playing for the team and supporting each other. Not one arrogant message sent at all. The team play for each other. That in my mind does make them special. I would love to smash Penrith in the world club challenge and ask "who is the daddy?".... The world club challenge title would cement this team into the history books as the greatest side.
    It's not the best side ever because the competition around it is so poor, same way I don't think the dominant Wigan side of the 80's and early 90's is the best ever either because there was no competition for them.

This is why we win SL pretty comfortably recently, but then never stand a chance in the WCC. UK won it once in the last 10 years and Saints not won it since 2007 - shows the gulf in quality between SL and the NRL.

SL had 3 different teams try to win in since 2007 - the NRL has had 8.
    I ate a tuna sandwich on my first day!

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post

Classless organisation that will already have written it off, but no doubt will be in the press saying we are scared because we won’t foot 100% of the costs and any other daft demands they decide to throw in

Good, then we won't get pumped by them either.
    I ate a tuna sandwich on my first day!

Got A Season Ticket Two Sugars Strong's Avatar

Very true. Someone chat Richard Branson up and try to get free Virgin flights, I'm sure Penrith wouldn't mind having them as their shirt sponsor for a game....
    That's the Saints way...

Quote Originally Posted by Two Sugars Strong View Post
    The thing is, that arrogance isn’t really needed from us in Superleague.

We are head and shoulders above the competition.

The only reason Wigan were anywhere near us last season was because of our injuries and their talismans of Field and French were injury free right up until that semi.

They could have still got out of that semi if French hadn’t been injured and/or Bateman sent off.

If it was tighter in Superleague that arrogance might give you the 1% you need to take the chance. It’s not that long ago on here where people were saying we got bullied in games, we needed more steel or a player who got stuck in, maybe even a little bit of the grub….

And being completely transparent, i like a little bit of arrogance (Think Sean Long!) and I think Welsby has the arrogance, he keeps it under wraps mostly but the mask slips occasionally like his outrageous display in the 80th minute in 2020, where he absolutely positively KNOWS he is getting to that ball and scored it, plus when he teased French with the ball at Magic, his “4 times 4 times” at the GF this year.

However

It’s only arrogance if you aren’t the best……

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Too much of a gap between the NRL and Superleague, I don't think the World Club Challenge is played at the right time of the year, should be played a few weeks after the respective Grand Finals. Playing in the Superleague season is a big risk, imagine if we lose a couple of pivotal players then we could be struggling for the remaining year.

Would like a fairly injury free season with less bans next year, we would still be head and shoulders above all the other teams and winning a 5th peat is not out of reach.
    There is a gap between super league and nrl but losing to Penrith wouldn’t necessarily indicate the gap between the comps. They aren’t a run of the mill nrl team. They are a distance better than most nrl teams. The nrl is becoming less balanced each season. On their day, at full strength, I think Penrith, Storm and Roosters are a distance better than the rest.

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

I am I the only one thinking if this Penrith team is being talked about as the best ever then bring the buggers on and let's have a go at em.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    It’s only arrogance if you aren’t the best……
    Roby is the best but doesn't need the arrogance. It's why he's a remarkable person rather than a ****.

Arrogance and excellence do not always have to go hand in hand.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newlove View Post
    I am I the only one thinking if this Penrith team is being talked about as the best ever then bring the buggers on and let's have a go at em.
    Nope, I'm thinking that too but it won't happen. Last year it was Covid, this year it will be the World Cup, next time they win it it willb e something else.

There are clubs with class when it comes to these things (Roosters, Souths etc) and then there is Penrith.

In The South Stand

Nope, I'm thinking that too but it won't happen. Last year it was Covid, this year it will be the World Cup, next time they win it it willb e something else.

There are clubs with class when it comes to these things (Roosters, Souths etc) and then there is Penrith.
    For there to be another one, I suspect either Trent Robinson, Justin Holbrook or Kristian Woolf will need to win the NRL.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

When Ivan Cleary was asked in his post match press conference about whether he’d want a world club challenge:

"For sure ... let's go. You'd sit back and watch it in the years gone by ... it's something that everyone would always want to be part of."

It’s the logistics and who pays that will be the stumbling block. Hopefully IMG have this on their radar as an important showcase event for the sport.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

"Hello is that Fred?

Any chance you can pay for a World Club Challenge?"

Roby is the best but doesn't need the arrogance. It's why he's a remarkable person rather than a ****.

Arrogance and excellence do not always have to go hand in hand.
    Agree completely. Lots of arrogant players are not the best (Connor is a great example) and not all great players are arrogant, I certainly wasn’t saying that.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by JBT View Post
    It's not the best side ever because the competition around it is so poor, same way I don't think the dominant Wigan side of the 80's and early 90's is the best ever either because there was no competition for them.

This is why we win SL pretty comfortably recently, but then never stand a chance in the WCC. UK won it once in the last 10 years and Saints not won it since 2007 - shows the gulf in quality between SL and the NRL.

SL had 3 different teams try to win in since 2007 - the NRL has had 8.
    You say never have a chance in a WCC but I think we were rodded against the roosters in 2020 by a •••• poor ref. It will be interesting to see how the world Cup is officiated.