Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Saints Coach

Got A Season Ticket

Default New Saints Coach

Betfred have stopped taking bets on who will be Saints' new head coach, Paul Wellens overwhelming favourite.

'Super League sponsors Betfred are no longer taking bets on the identity of the next St Helens coach.

Kristian Woolf announced recently that he will depart at the end of the season to take up a role with new NRL side the Dolphins.

And Paul Wellens is the overwhelming favourite to step up and take over.

Saints legend Paul Sculthorpe told the St Helens Star: “Aside from St Helens, he’s worked with Wayne Bennett, Shaun Wane, Steve McNamara and Tony Smith to name a few. I just hope the Saints faithful give him that chance too.” '

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post...p-withdrawals/

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Got A Replica Shirt

I wouldn't mind at all if Wellens is named as the new coach.

Who would you like his assistant to be? I wouldn't mind someone like Danny McGuire in there to focus on our attacking play, kind of like Briers with Wigoon.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Not Exotic View Post

Who would you like his assistant to be? I wouldn't mind someone like Danny McGuire in there to focus on our attacking play, kind of like Briers with Wigoon.
    Ian talbot and matty smith

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Not Exotic View Post

Danny McGuire would be a good shout, but I doubt he would be available. If we did go for someone like DM would we. Also need someone to concentrate on the forwards?

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Danny McGuire would be a good shout, but I doubt he would be available. If we did go for someone like DM would we. Also need someone to concentrate on the forwards?
    Forwards will be fine. They would both contribute to how they want the forwards to run lines and defend etc.

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

Just hope it works well for him. In the end when you take the top job the rate of failure is far higher than the rate of success.

The BBC podcast 'getting sacked in the morning' is well worth a listen to hear about the experience of coaches when it does not go well.

He's lived and breathed st helens for all his rugby career, would be a shame if the fans turn at some stage.

Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post
    Just hope it works well for him. In the end when you take the top job the rate of failure is far higher than the rate of success.

The BBC podcast 'getting sacked in the morning' is well worth a listen to hear about the experience of coaches when it does not go well.

He's lived and breathed st helens for all his rugby career, would be a shame if the fans turn at some stage.
    Sadly, unless he has an Alex Ferguson-style career, then it's pretty much guaranteed to end with a sacking. Unlike the Aussie coaches who generally have a good reason to leave when they're at the top of their game, you'd imagine Wello would be at the club until the club no longer wanted him. However, you'd think he'll know that already and would be going in with his eyes open.

Got A Season Ticket

Personally I think he is daft to take it. A squad of ageing players in key positions with a contingent of players who only came here to play for Woolf who will all be gone within a season or two.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Euroboy View Post
    Personally I think he is daft to take it. A squad of ageing players in key positions with a contingent of players who only came here to play for Woolf who will all be gone within a season or two.
    Wow I bet you're fun to be around.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Learning All The Songs

Ageing players in key positions eh !!
    1 - Welsby, aged 21
    7 - Dodd - aged 21
    13 - Knowles - aged 25

As for the "only came for Woolf" players the only one who the club would probably be desperate to retain would be Paasi. Hurrell isn't irreplaceable, and Hopoate can follow Woolf back to Aus right now, he's been a waste of space.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Or maybe he knows whats coming around the corner, expect to see the likes of youngsters, Archer, Baxter, Corkhill, Delaney, Robertson from 2024 onwards. Love to see Corkhill developed as a no 9 pretty good handling skills with good footwork and lots of strength.

That contingent of Sironen, Passi and Matautia just love the club culture and team spirit here, and I can't see that changing for a while.

Long leaving Leeds. Putting 2 and 2 together tells me he could be coming back to us as an Assistant.

However the one I heard as our Assistant was Laurent Frayssinous (French National coach)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starting A Programme Collection NSL's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    Long leaving Leeds. Putting 2 and 2 together tells me he could be coming back to us as an Assistant.

However the one I heard as our Assistant was Laurent Frayssinous (French National coach)
    Leeds have been pretty grim for the majority of the time Long has been coaching attack there. I don't think having him back would be the best move.

Learning All The Songs

We are looking for 2 assistants I have been told so there may be some element of truth in both.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Frayssinous is one from left field. Would certainly come in with a different view on things.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by BackrowSaint View Post
    We are looking for 2 assistants I have been told so there may be some element of truth in both.
    Matty smith retired from playing yesterday ��

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by stobartmassive View Post
    matty smith retired from playing yesterday ��
    nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

In The South Stand

There wont be much that Matty Smith dosnt know about Rugby League and he is St Helens.

I really hope Long does not come back. Especially if Wello becomes head coach. It will IMO be an absolute disaster.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Frayssinous is an interesting one. Think an experienced coach is a good idea to help Wellens along, especially in his 1st year while he beds into the role.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by WidnesExile View Post
    nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!
    Wellens with Matty smith and Ian talbot as his assistants. You heard it here first

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    I really hope Long does not come back. Especially if Wello becomes head coach. It will IMO be an absolute disaster.
    I’m of a similar view - don’t like the sound of that.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post
    I’m of a similar view - don’t like the sound of that.

Same here. I don’t know why. I’m just not keen on that.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Got A Season Ticket Two Sugars Strong's Avatar

I am happy for it to happen. Two legends who will work their arses off to ensure we get the best out of our players. They know what they are up against.. The ghost of Kieran will be motivation enough. Whoever takes over has giant shoes to fill. Why not be two saints legends....
    That's the Saints way...

Two Assistants.

One from the boot room one from outside preferably attack focused.

Ian Talbot Yes
    Frayssinous Interesting and a Yes.

I have always felt that Kevin Brown would be a good Lee Briers to Wigan type external attack coach.

Matty Smith - No
    Sean Long - No.