Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 21 man squad v Leeds - GRAND FINAL!!

In The South Stand The.Reverand's Avatar

Percy is an absolute waste on the wing. Bennison full back, Hopoate wing, Percy centre, Matautia bench.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The.Reverand View Post
    Percy is an absolute waste on the wing. Bennison full back, Hopoate wing, Percy centre, Matautia bench.
    Percy is a waste on the wing . . . . so stick Hopoate there?!

Hopoate will be FB or not there at all IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

In defence
    Hopoate to move to wing
    Bennison to move to Fb

In attack
    Hopoate to move to fb
    Bennison to move to wing.

Would that be possible?

Got A Season Ticket complex.matt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    In defence
    Hopoate to move to wing
    Bennison to move to Fb

In attack
    Hopoate to move to fb

Would that be possible?
    I’d rather have Hopoate at FB for both. If he isn’t 100% then having him at FB in defence keeps him out of the firing line as much as possible.

Everyone saying put Hopoate on the wing, the guys got massive hamstring issues and people wanna have him line up against some of the fastest players on the pitch.

We cannot afford to have someone go off injured in a final. Hopoate must be at fullback.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by complex.matt View Post
    Everyone saying put Hopoate on the wing, the guys got massive hamstring issues and people wanna have him line up against some of the fastest players on the pitch.

We cannot afford to have someone go off injured in a final. Hopoate must be at fullback.

I’m not saying you’re wrong but if we can’t afford to have a player go off injured in a final, do you have Hopoate in the seventeen at all given his record?
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    I’m not saying you’re wrong but if we can’t afford to have a player go off injured in a final, do you have Hopoate in the seventeen at all given his record?
    Good point, although I think if managed he brings more than other options. His passing game is outstanding, his positional game is the best we have in regards to fielding kicks, add into that he has big game experience and a calm head.
    He makes it into my team but wisely managed and kept out of the firing line.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by complex.matt View Post

can we have a sweep for how many minutes Hopoate will last ?( if he actually plays)

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    can we have a sweep for how many minutes Hopoate will last ?( if he actually plays)
    I’d rather not tempt fate lol

Hopoate to centre, Percival wing, Bennison to FB and Matautia to SR/bench

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    In defence
    Hopoate to move to wing
    Bennison to move to Fb

In attack
    Hopoate to move to fb

Would that be possible?
    I think that is a really simple solution to the problems that have been identified. It keeps Hopoate out of that first carry after taking their kick too and allows him to try and do what he does best with the ball. It also protects Bennison defending on the wing. However, I totally understand the concerns regarding his hamstring. I think Leeds will play a tight game anyway so I cannot see them taking risks by throwing the ball wide to test him in any event.

I think Leeds will be planning for Bennison on the wing with Hopoate at full back so if Hopoate is named on the wing this could cause confusion with who is playing where would be useful to disrupt any plans they have.

If it goes tits up and Hopoate goes down then Bennison just stays at FB.

Quote Originally Posted by WA10 View Post
    Hopoate to centre, Percival wing, Bennison to FB and Matautia to SR/bench
    I respect everyone's opinions, but why do we want Percival (our best attacking threat) to be out on the wing? He barely had any of the ball last week. Hopoate at center I think would be asking too much of him with his issues. He needs to do as little as possible when we are without the ball

In The West Stand

When was the last time we had such uncertainty over how the team was going to be constructed? Crazy to think what this season could have been without 7/8/9 injuries ever week and everyone fighting for a place ...

Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post
    I respect everyone's opinions, but why do we want Percival (our best attacking threat) to be out on the wing? He barely had any of the ball last week. Hopoate at center I think would be asking too much of him with his issues. He needs to do as little as possible when we are without the ball
    I wasn't suggesting we go with Percival on the wing but it's a line up that would enable both Hopoate and Bennison to play. Percival would also be arguably stronger out wide than Bennison defensively.

A good headache for Woolf.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Nothing to be gained from captain's run photos.

No Hopoate
    No centre/ wing partnerships
    Bell, Norman, Wingfield, Davies and Simm all photo'd

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

Have I missed something why would we consider Percival or Hopoate on the wing if they are both playing.

Bennison to wing all day long and looking to be a great find given at the start of the season he was 3rd choice fullback after Hopoate and Welsby.

Nice to see we have options if either Dodd or Lomax pick up an injury next year.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by The.Reverand View Post
    Centre is a difficult position defence-wise and I would prefer percy's experience there, but I'd go Brennison Wing and Hopoate FB.

Or throw Leeds a curve ball and put Matautia on the wing, if I recall didn't he play wing for the Aussies when he was 17 or so , can't recall if it was full Aussie international side or Under19's but sure I read it somewhere.

He wouldn't be fast but would take some stopping near the line

In The South Stand

Why are people over complicating things and moving people around attack/defence wise ? IF Hopo is fit to play fullback then that's where he plays. Moving people around tells Leeds who is the target to aim for.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Whatever we decide to do we definitely need strike at centre instead of Matautia imo. Whether that means Bennison fullback, Hopoate centre and Percy wing. Or my preferred combination of Hopoate fullback, Percy and Bennison left side combination.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    Why are people over complicating things and moving people around attack/defence wise ? IF Hopo is fit to play fullback then that's where he plays. Moving people around tells Leeds who is the target to aim for.
    Exactly. A final isn’t the time to be messing around too much with structures and combinations.

Got A Season Ticket

Personally I'd go with Hoppa FB, Percy back to centre where he's immense in both attack and defence (and where we've missed him), Benno on the wing outside the experienced Percy (much better than outside matautia), matautia bench to cover LF for Knowles.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

Having Percival in the centre gives us threat on both edges. If you've got threat on both edges were harder to defend against. If we're just going to Joe batch all the time they'll soon shut us down. Matautia's solid but it makes us really one sided if we go with him he'll do a job but we'll loose near all strike on that side, I think it'll be a bit negative if we put him there. I know it's grand final footy so it might just be all about the grind for Woolf. Guess we'll just have to see what happens tomorrow.

Got A Season Ticket

No Hopoate in Captains run?.......same team as last week then.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thommo View Post
    No Hopoate in Captains run?.......same team as last week then.
    Possibly. Has Woolf ever been known to change a winning team? Usually the team he fields in a semi goes on to play in the final. All day we’ve taken for granted that Hopoate will play. He may not. If Bennison plays fullback then fair enough. We’ll be ok.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Starting A Programme Collection

Bennison is fully fit and match ready, Hopoate isnt.
    Bennison will share the work load returning the ball at the start of each set, Hops cannot physically do that therefore putting more work the way of Tommy and Percy.
    Bennison has done everything asked of him since coming into the team and hasn't let us down yet and fully deserves his shirt in the final, as much as Hops has contributed to the team whilst playing e.g Wigan at Magic, surely its not enough to take the risk in the biggest game of the season, if we were scratching around for a last minute replacement then yes, risk him, but Bennison has been part of the set up all year and on form alone deserves his place.