Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 21 man squad v Leeds - GRAND FINAL!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Default 21 man squad v Leeds - GRAND FINAL!!

Well, well, well. What a week it’s been already.

OUT: Morgan Knowles
    IN: Morgan Knowles

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2022/09/2...l-squad-named/

IN: Hopoate, Simm, Norman
    OUT: Royle, Pemberton

1. Jack Welsby, 2. Tommy Makinson, 3. Will Hopoate, 4. Mark Percival, 6. Jonny Lomax, 9. James Roby, 10. Matty Lees, 11. Sione Mata’utia, 12. Joe Batchelor, 13. Morgan Knowles, 14. Joey Lussick, 15. LMS, 16. Curtis Sironen, 17. Agnatius Paasi, 19. Jake Wingfield, 20. James Bell, 21. Josh Simm, 22. Ben Davies, 23. Konrad Hurrell, 24. Dan Norman, 27. Jon Bennison.

I think the 17 is quite straightforward and it comes down to Hopoate at 1 if fit, or the first time this season (I think) we go with an unchanged 17 if he isn't fit.

I hope to see:

Hopoate
    Makinson
    Hurrell
    Matautia
    Percvial
    Welsby
    Lomax
    Lees
    Roby
    Paasi
    Batchelor
    Sironen
    Knowles

Lussick
    Bell
    Wingfield
    LMS

The obvious risk is Hopoate getting injured. In that case we would move Roby to the halves and Welsby to 1. I think this would be a better contingency plan than Bennison taking a place on the bench and potentially not being used, losing a forward in the process.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

It’s amazing that we’ve got to the GF and we’re only missing 3 first team players. We were down to the bare bones at certain points

Learning All The Songs

Bennison is unlucky not to play I bet DEEP DOWN he was gutted Morgan Knowles got off with his ban?

Learning All The Songs

I wouldn't be surprised to see us have one of Mata'utia/Sironen on the bench along with Bell, LMS and Lussick. Knowles used as a prop when Bell rotates into 13. Gives a left edge of Percival and Bennison, if Hopoate does break down then we just go back to Bennison at 1, Mata'utia/Percival edge without wasting a bench spot.

Hopoate
    Makinson
    Hurrell
    Percival
    Bennison
    Welsby
    Lomax
    Paasi
    Roby
    Lees
    Batchelor
    Sironen
    Knowles

Lussick
    LMS
    Mata'utia
    Bell

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BackrowSaint View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to see us have one of Mata'utia/Sironen on the bench along with Bell, LMS and Lussick. Knowles used as a prop when Bell rotates into 13. Gives a left edge of Percival and Bennison, if Hopoate does break down then we just go back to Bennison at 1, Mata'utia/Percival edge without wasting a bench spot.

Hopoate
    Makinson
    Hurrell
    Percival
    Bennison
    Welsby
    Lomax
    Paasi
    Roby
    Lees
    Batchelor
    Sironen
    Knowles

Lussick
    LMS
    Mata'utia
    Bell
    I like this team. It’s a shame Norman hasn’t had more game time recently as I think we could use his size on the bench this Saturday. Im just not sure who I would drop to make way for him.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs

Be tempted to keep bennison at full back
    Hopoate on the wing.. more because I think Bennison would be a bit exposed on the wing.

Hopoate moving in and out with percival could be very entertaining
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS
    Insta @christianjamescreative

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by CGSaint View Post
    Be tempted to keep bennison at full back
    Hopoate on the wing.. more because I think Bennison would be a bit exposed on the wing.

Hopoate moving in and out with percival could be very entertaining
    Bennisons attack is slightly wanting at full back at the moment, his pass timing and execution isn't where it needs to be for this level.

However, you could easily attack Hopoate at 1 and defend him at 5 which would solve both issues.

I don't think you can drop Bennison after that performance.

Bennison
    Makinson
    Hurrell
    Hopoate
    Percival
    Welsby
    Lomax
    Lees
    Roby
    Paasi
    Batchelor
    Sironen
    Knowles

Lussick
    Wingfield
    LMS
    Matautia

You can rearrange the left side of the backs and full back. 1. Hopoate, 2. Bennison, 3 Percival is another option. Matautia on the bench gives you cover in the event of a back getting injured and some energy to come off the bench which we were lacking with 20 mins to go vs Salford.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

In The South Stand

The question now the Knowles things is sorted out is whether Hopoate has 80 minutes in him having not played in approximately six weeks? We have looked better in attack with him in the side at fullback but he’s played six games since June, with big gaps in between. I like Bennison and he’s delivered when called upon and deserved his place in the team of late but admittedly, we don’t look as fluent in attack with him at one.

Hopoate has frustrated me this year and at times I’ve wanted to pack him off to Australia and others, thought “if only we can keep him fit”.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by BackrowSaint View Post
    Bennisons attack is slightly wanting at full back at the moment, his pass timing and execution isn't where it needs to be for this level.

However, you could easily attack Hopoate at 1 and defend him at 5 which would solve both issues.
    We have to trust JK . If Hopoate really is 100 % he starts at ! . Bennison deserves to be 5
    My team Hopate , TMak, Hurrell , Percival , Bennison , Welsby , Lomax Paasi , Roby, Lees. Mata' , Batch' Knowles .
    Bench : Sironen , LMS , Bell , Lussick . Surely this team will make it 4 GF's on the bounce . COYS......

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

It just shows how much depth we have. Despite all the players we have unavailable, if all those players listed in the 19 man squad are fit it’s actually pretty tough to pick the 1-17.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post

1. Jack Welsby, 2. Tommy Makinson, 3. Will Hopoate, 4. Mark Percival, 6. Jonny Lomax, 9. James Roby, 10. Matty Lees, 11. Sione Mata’utia, 12. Joe Batchelor, 13. Morgan Knowles, 14. Joey Lussick, 15. LMS, 16. Curtis Sironen, 17. Agnatius Paasi, 19. Jake Wingfield, 20. James Bell, 21. Josh Simm, 22. Ben Davies, 23. Konrad Hurrell, 24. Dan Norman, 27. Jon Bennison.

I think the 17 is quite straightforward and it comes down to Hopoate at 1 if fit, or the first time this season (I think) we go with an unchanged 17 if he isn't fit.

I hope to see:

Hopoate
    Makinson
    Hurrell
    Matautia
    Percvial
    Welsby
    Lomax
    Lees
    Roby
    Paasi
    Batchelor
    Sironen
    Knowles

Lussick
    Bell
    Wingfield
    LMS

The obvious risk is Hopoate getting injured. In that case we would move Roby to the halves and Welsby to 1. I think this would be a better contingency plan than Bennison taking a place on the bench and potentially not being used, losing a forward in the process.

I think he will play Bennison on the wing to limit disruption if Hopoate breaks down and it means we can revert to the same backline as last week. Sione to start on the bench and Bell to miss out.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fizzy rascal View Post
    I think he will play Bennison on the wing to limit disruption if Hopoate breaks down and it means we can revert to the same backline as last week. Sione to start on the bench and Bell to miss out.
    Agree. Bennison deserves to play and Mata’utia has butchered a couple of attacking opportunities at centre. Hopoate has to be a risk for the full 80 so having Bennison in the side means there’s a ready made plan B

Hopoate, Makinson, Hurrell, Percival, Bennison, Welsby, Lomax, Paasi, Roby, Lees, Batchelor, Sironen Knowles

Subs: Lussick, LMS, Wingfield, Mata’utia.

Bell, Simm, Davies and Norman to miss out
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Agree. Bennison deserves to play and Mata’utia has butchered a couple of attacking opportunities at centre. Hopoate has to be a risk for the full 80 so having Bennison in the side means there’s a ready made plan B

Hopoate, Makinson, Hurrell, Percival, Bennison, Welsby, Lomax, Paasi, Roby, Lees, Batchelor, Sironen Knowles

I think this is the best option - harsh on Bell perhaps, but Mata'utia in the back row was ripping things up before his injury, manages the Hopoate risk, and keeps some size on the bench, which I think we were missing in the semi.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

That would be my choice as well, I would sooner Matautia start on the bench so he can't do anything stupid in a tough first quarter. Obviously if Hopoate doesn't survive Bennison full back, Woolf has also got the option if Bennison starts having a nightmare on the wing then he can move Percival there and Matautia to centre.

The forecast is for a dry hard pitch instead of a heavy one so a fast mobile pack will suit us at the moment and Woolf will probably go for Wingfield instead of Norman. Looking forward to Sironen on this one, I think the way he is talking he wants to rip into that Leeds pack.

I'd go with that too! Think that is the best line-up and there is a plan b in mind.

Think I'm with you. Key points being Hopoate breathes life into our attack, Percical will not waste chances like Matautia can do, Sironen deserves to start on recent form and Bennison gives cover as others have said. I have some doubts over his defence on the wing but I think the plusses above far outweigh this

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

I'll be surprised if he moves too many players about for a final.

Hopoate will only play if they are confident he will get through the 80 minutes, so I suspect he will go to full back and that will be only change to the 17.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

....but is there a risk playing Percival and Hopiate, both players who have had minimal game time, in the same starting line up? Percival got through the semi fine, but how has his long-term injury held up this week?

I think Bennison should play on the wing. He was found wanting a bit against Bevan French in the last match but he isn’t the first. Tindall and Briscoe don’t offer the same threat.

Starting A Programme Collection Saintsaregods's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post

I hope to see:

Hopoate
    Makinson
    Hurrell
    Matautia
    Percvial
    Welsby
    Lomax
    Lees
    Roby
    Paasi
    Batchelor
    Sironen
    Knowles

Lussick
    Bell
    Wingfield
    LMS

Spot on for me again YG, think Bennison has been unlucky but his day will come.

Starting A Programme Collection

'
    Thought Norman had a broken jaw ....has he been to Lourdes

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    '
    Thought Norman had a broken jaw ....has he been to Lourdes
    Cheekbone I think. Depends how bad it is I guess.

They aren't pleasant though

In The South Stand The.Reverand's Avatar

Percy is an absolute waste on the wing. Bennison full back, Hopoate wing, Percy centre, Matautia bench.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The.Reverand View Post
    Percy is an absolute waste on the wing. Bennison full back, Hopoate wing, Percy centre, Matautia bench.
    Percy is a waste on the wing . . . . so stick Hopoate there?!

Hopoate will be FB or not there at all IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk