Thread: Mos

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Default Mos

Brodie Croft

Welsby young player

Peet coach

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

In The West Stand

Absolutely deserved for Welsby - will get the main award when he’s not constantly shifting positions. Similarly pleased that Croft got it over Field - definitely think there’s more to his game overall.

Absolute joke Woolf could win an 3-peat, a challenge cup and a LLS with a patched up team all year and still not walk away with the coach of the year prize

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Surprised Croft got it but couldn’t have really argued with any of the 3 getting it. Will properly wind up the Pies though so that’s a bonus.

Welsby head and shoulders above the other young players.

Peet would have been my 3rd choice behind Woolf and Rohan Smith.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The South Stand

I think of the three nominated Croft is the best choice.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Just been watching the stream- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7nKARI9aQ0

I would have given MoS to Field but I'm a big fan of Croft too. Coach of the year was Paul Rowley for me as I've said earlier.

Welsby deserved young player and interestingly on Welsby...they were comparing him as a young player to Sam Tomkins at the same age. Both winning the award back-to-back. Different style of players I think. Easy to forget how good Tomkins was when he burst on to the scene.
    *Not to be confused with Mike Stephenson, MBE

Got A Season Ticket

There's been a lot of stuff on here lately about how poorly the sport puts itself across in the media but I thought that ceremony was a new low. What sport that wants to be taken seriously would put it's showpiece event on YouTube, then start it an hour late? Add in the amateurish presentation, people walking across in front of the camera, Carney looking like he'd just got out bed, lame interviewing, I could go on. Just very, very poor. My daughter's school did a better job.

Got A Season Ticket

Default Mos

So, let me get this right. A coach who could win 3 super league titles and a LLS in the 3 years he’s been at the club but has not won coach of the year in any of those seasons?

This team and this coach don’t get the recognition they deserve for their achievements.

And let’s not even go there with Croft. A player who plays for a team that finishes 6th is the best player the competition? Do me a favour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got A Season Ticket

I think this illustrates the daft points system which means a good player in a poor team will always do better than a great player in a great team.

Quote Originally Posted by fizzy rascal View Post
    So, let me get this right. A coach who could win 3 super league titles and a LLS in the 3 years he’s been at the club but has not won coach of the year in any of those seasons?

This team and this coach don’t get the recognition they deserve for their achievements.

And let’s not even go there with Croft. A player who plays for a team that finishes 6th is the best player the competition? Do me a favour.

I think Woolf is unlucky and, if he wasn't to win, I think Rowley possibly deserved it. Not sure why a player from a team finishing in 6th place shouldn't be man of steel - I don't have an issue with Croft winning it.

In The South Stand

Think Woolf is very unlucky to have not won a Coach of the Year award at least once. I think he should have won this year given the injuries we have faced and the relative ease we won the league leaders shield.

The Man of Steel award has been broken for years and the voting system hasn’t helped. Not one Saints winner in the last four years and even Leeds’ Golden Generation didn’t win any.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by singe View Post
    I think Woolf is unlucky and, if he wasn't to win, I think Rowley possibly deserved it. Not sure why a player from a team finishing in 6th place shouldn't be man of steel - I don't have an issue with Croft winning it.
    I don't doubt that Croft is a great player, he clearly is. The problem I have is that someone who stands out in a game where the bottom club plays the club that's second bottom gets the same MoS points as someone who stands out when top plays second. A big fish in a small pond will always stand out. Although it pains me to say it, Field should have won this year.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fizzy rascal View Post

Saints are simply taken for granted for the high standards we have hit for years as a team.

Since James Graham in 2008 we have had one Man of Steel winner whilst Castleford have had 4. Work that one out.

Theres a good chance Woolf could leave with 3 GF wins, a CC and a LLS but never been awarded coach of the year. Laughable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealHarryPinner View Post
    I don't doubt that Croft is a great player, he clearly is. The problem I have is that someone who stands out in a game where the bottom club plays the club that's second bottom gets the same MoS points as someone who stands out when top plays second. A big fish in a small pond will always stand out. Although it pains me to say it, Field should have won this year.
    I agree about the way points are awarded, but I thought Croft was more deserving of the award than Field.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    Just been watching the stream- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7nKARI9aQ0

I would have given MoS to Field but I'm a big fan of Croft too. Coach of the year was Paul Rowley for me as I've said earlier.

Welsby deserved young player and interestingly on Welsby...they were comparing him as a young player to Sam Tomkins at the same age. Both winning the award back-to-back. Different style of players I think. Easy to forget how good Tomkins was when he burst on to the scene.
    It's also easy to forget how young Jack Welsby is!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Saints are simply taken for granted for the high standards we have hit for years as a team.

Since James Graham in 2008 we have had one Man of Steel winner whilst Castleford have had 4. Work that one out.

Theres a good chance Woolf could leave with 3 GF wins, a CC and a LLS but never been awarded coach of the year. Laughable.
    I think so too, its similar to James Roby his high standard is often dismissed over the years, strange that over the last 5 years its usually the coach who wins the LLS wins the coac of the year but thats not happened this year. For me Jonny Lomax is Man of Steel in every sense of the, word plays with an injured arm and takes loads of heavy knocks but gets up and carries on playing the game.

Glad Croft has got it over Field, Croft is not a one trick pony and is a lot more skilful than Field, we must acknowledge that Field is an exciting player though and catches the eye with his breaks in open field. Its going to be very difficult for Jack Welsby to win Man of Steel there are too many quality saints players to take MOS points off him, I expect Dodd will feature a lot more next year.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

I thought Rohan Smith would get found out but you have to give it to him for what he’s done at Leeds. It has to be possibly the biggest mid season turn around since Peter Sharp took over Hull mid 2006 and they went on that winning run all the way to Old Trafford.
    Peet has improved Wigan and seems like a sound bloke, but he has had a strong team around him.
    As Blobby said, its a bit daft that Woolf has never won coach of the year.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I think so too, its similar to James Roby his high standard is often dismissed over the years, strange that over the last 5 years its usually the coach who wins the LLS wins the coac of the year but thats not happened this year. For me Jonny Lomax is Man of Steel in every sense of the, word plays with an injured arm and takes loads of heavy knocks but gets up and carries on playing the game.

Glad Croft has got it over Field, Croft is not a one trick pony and is a lot more skilful than Field, we must acknowledge that Field is an exciting player though and catches the eye with his breaks in open field. Its going to be very difficult for Jack Welsby to win Man of Steel there are too many quality saints players to take MOS points off him, I expect Dodd will feature a lot more next year.
    Completely agree on Lomax. For me he is our player of the year and would be a more than worthy winner of Man of Steel given what he has played through this year. Without him we wouldn't be in a Grand Final. His problem is he plays with other top players so our votes get shared out. He is also probably isn't as "eye catching" as Welsby but he is so valuable for us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

I think MoS reflects the sport perfectly. A lad shines for Salford and they make the 6, that's the story, that's what the game obsesses over, the struggle of mediocre teams jumping over the artificial low bar. The lad who does the business for the side at the top is a secondary issue, who cares about that, where is the drama and the intrigue in the lad or the team in 1st when the entire sport and the media that follows it is concentrating on who finishes 5th and 6th?

Imagine some lad at Arsenal or Spurs winning Footballer of the Year because they'd led their side to 4th place, over the best players in City and Liverpool's sides who spearheaded title challenges. Wouldn't happen, the focus would be on the lads who made the difference for their sides right at the sharp edge, the trophy winning elite at the top of the game, not the ones who looked good in an average side and led them to some artificial made up level that we all celebrate as achievement.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    I think MoS reflects the sport perfectly. A lad shines for Salford and they make the 6, that's the story, that's what the game obsesses over, the struggle of mediocre teams jumping over the artificial low bar. The lad who does the business for the side at the top is a secondary issue, who cares about that, where is the drama and the intrigue in the lad or the team in 1st when the entire sport and the media that follows it is concentrating on who finishes 5th and 6th?

Imagine some lad at Arsenal or Spurs winning Footballer of the Year because they'd led their side to 4th place, over the best players in City and Liverpool's sides who spearheaded title challenges. Wouldn't happen, the focus would be on the lads who made the difference for their sides right at the sharp edge, the trophy winning elite at the top of the game, not the ones who looked good in an average side and led them to some artificial made up level that we all celebrate as achievement.
    Spot on. It's almost like a sympathy award for "lesser" teams. I mean how can MOS keep going to players whose teams don't actually perform at the top level or win anything? I think Croft is a very good player, but he hasn't enabled his team to achive too much. They gave us a hard time in the semi final without him, so they don't revolve around him. I agree with other posters that Lomax should've been in with a shout. Our only real playmaker with only one functioning arm gets us to the GF, The LLS and close to the CC. Makes you wonder what he actually has to do. Saints are now disregarded and just expected to be the bench mark without any actual respect re MOS etc. Nice Jack was recognised but a team who have won the LLS and are going for a fourth title ion four years should really be sweeping awards boards, shouldn't they?

Noooobie

Me personally think field as been robbed of it but that makes it even better
    Welsby is 100% a future MOS what a player !!!
    Hate to say it but peet deserved coach of the year 1st season as a super league coach and won challenge cup and finished 2nd I am pretty sure though peet would sooner be in woolfes position then receiving a coach of the year award

Noooobie

And lest we forget...."So Jack congratulations on being superleagues brightest young talent.... So how were you feeling last night re: your disciplinary hearing"?? Sky Shithouses

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Alshep View Post
    And lest we forget...."So Jack congratulations on being superleagues brightest young talent.... So how were you feeling last night re: your disciplinary hearing"?? Sky Shithouses
    Please tell me that didn't happen? Sky will take any opportunity to talk the game down.

Tired of Bill Arthur commenting on how few people are at the game, or surprise that there is a large crowd

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post

Bang on. The sport is just rewarding mediocrity with MoS and coach of the year and becoming even more of a joke year after year. As someone else has said, it's almost like a taking part award for someone in the teams that have no chance getting to a final never mind winning one.
    I ate a tuna sandwich on my first day!

In The South Stand

I like Matty Peet and Rowley and Smith have done well but Woolf has been robbed. League Leaders with all that he has had to contend with in terms of injuries and they fail to give him the recognition he deserves. And yes Lomax would be my man of steel. The words imply toughness and determination and for him to have continued to play and lead in the way he has done with a ruptured bicep is the very epitome of toughness and determination.

Learning All The Songs The Chief's Avatar

The MoS voting system, mirroring Australia, is flawed in the UK due to the lack of top line players across all teams. Hence why Croft probably accrued more points, in an average team the “superstar” bags 3 points pretty much every week. Just look at Wigan, French probably prevented Field from winning it. The points scoring system could dictate the “top 5” but the choice shouldn’t be a first past the post system, it should then be selected on the back of all factors, not just playing better than the players in your own team.

To think Woolf could do something that no other coach has achieved and not even win coach of the year even once is scandalous.