JB&B Leach Banner
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 129

Thread: Grand Final 2022 - Saints V Leeds

  1. #1
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Age
    35
    Posts
    307
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Grand Final 2022 - Saints V Leeds

    Thought we should just make a single thread for the build up to the big game.

    Confirmed Sezer won't play:

    https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post...t-grand-final/


    What does everyone think the team will be?
    I'm assuming Knowles will cop a small ban, so what about Hoppa to FB, Bennison to wing, Percival to centre and Matautia to LF?



    Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    551
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Yeah I was about to do the same

    Just been reading the Leeds forum they are begging for welsby to get a ban for a near perfect tackle..

    Knowles will be banned of course. For me Bell straight in for Knowles at LF..
    It's a tough one for bennison. I like the look of him at full back. Hopoate in the centre and keep percival on the wing?
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS
    Insta @christianjamescreative

  3. #3
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    780
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Hopoate
    Makinson
    Hurrell
    Percival
    Bennison
    Welsby
    Lomax
    Paasi
    Roby
    Lees
    Batchelor
    Sironen/Mata'utia
    Bell

    Lussick
    LMS
    Wingfield
    Sironen/Mata'utia

    ---

    Myler
    Briscoe
    Hardaker
    Sutcliffe
    Tindall
    Austin
    Leeming
    Oledzki
    O'Connor
    Prior
    Bentley
    Tetevano
    Smith

    Dwyer
    Walters
    Thompson
    Donaldson

  4. #4
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Windle
    Posts
    362
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CGSaint View Post
    Yeah I was about to do the same

    Just been reading the Leeds forum they are begging for welsby to get a ban for a near perfect tackle..

    Knowles will be banned of course. For me Bell straight in for Knowles at LF..
    It's a tough one for bennison. I like the look of him at full back. Hopoate in the centre and keep percival on the wing?
    This was my point on the other thread. In real time in looked a great tackle. Even one or two replays it looked great. Then the pundits start mentioning the bloody nose. Then they went over and over it at half time. Talk of 'that could have been a red card' started to arise. To his credit only JJB said 'nah not for me it looked OK, it's a semi final' etc. If that's not an attempt conscious or not to get a player in bother with the judiciary then I don't know what is. Now it's grown legs and the numpty fans over at Leeds are calling for a ban. If they don't get one, it's a case of 'Saints get all the decisions' blah blah blah.

    Really hope he's cleared to play.

  5. #5
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    8,628
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Hopoate and Welsby's availability could be absolutely crucial especially if Knowles is banned.

    Disciplinary is tomorrow at 7.30pm tomorrow btw so fingers crossed we get some good news.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

  6. #6
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    780
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Hopoate and Welsby's availability could be absolutely crucial especially if Knowles is banned.

    Disciplinary is tomorrow at 7.30pm tomorrow btw so fingers crossed we get some good news.
    I expect Hopoate to play, barring any set backs this week.

  7. #7
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    11,658
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    I donít mind Hopoate coming back in at fullback if Woolf is confident that he can last the 80 minutes. The last time Leeds beat us at Old Trafford was when Wellens went off injured. So we know all too well how an injury in a final can punish.
    My only real concern coming out of yesterdays game is Matautia at centre. I think we really need Percy at centre.
    Iím not concerned with us facing Leeds. Itís 11 years since our last GF loss. Two very different looking teams with only Hardaker, Lomax, Roby, Makinson and Scarsbrook still involved (i think). If we lose next Saturday it will be because Leeds are better on the night. It wonít be any hoodoo.

    If anything, we should be eager to right some wrongs.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

  8. #8
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    8,628
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BackrowSaint View Post
    I expect Hopoate to play, barring any set backs this week.
    Fingers crossed.

    If Hopoate does play I would expect him at full back, Bennison to go to the wing, with Percival Centre, Sione to loose (or bench with Bell loose). If Hopoate did get injured we'd just revert back to yesterdays backline so itd be worth the risk IMO. If Welsby is available too we'd have the strongest backline and halves combination we've had since April.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

  9. #9
    In The West Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    5,007
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Fingers crossed.

    If Hopoate does play I would expect him at full back, Bennison to go to the wing, with Percival Centre, Sione to loose (or bench with Bell loose). If Hopoate did get injured we'd just revert back to yesterdays backline so itd be worth the risk IMO. If Welsby is available too we'd have the strongest backline and halves combination we've had since April.
    Lot of clamour for welsby to get banned.
    What's everyone's thoughts?

  10. #10
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    780
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    I don’t mind Hopoate coming back in at fullback if Woolf is confident that he can last the 80 minutes. The last time Leeds beat us at Old Trafford was when Wellens went off injured. So we know all too well how an injury in a final can punish.
    My only real concern coming out of yesterdays game is Matautia at centre. I think we really need Percy at centre.
    I’m not concerned with us facing Leeds. It’s 11 years since our last GF loss. Two very different looking teams with only Hardaker, Lomax, Roby, Makinson and Scarsbrook still involved (i think). If we lose next Saturday it will be because Leeds are better on the night. It won’t be any hoodoo.

    If anything, we should be eager to right some wrongs.
    That's the killer question and why he wasn't involved yesterday with the risk of other players potenitlaly not making it through too after long absences. Now Percy and Sione have got through the game, it makes it less of a risk introducing Hopoate as well.

  11. #11
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    780
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Lot of clamour for welsby to get banned.
    What's everyone's thoughts?
    I can't see it, any contact is secondary after bouncing off the ball and he's got a good record. I'm expecting Knowles to get a game and would be more worried about Mata'utia because of previous than Welsby. (I don't think there was anything wrong with Sione's tackle but I've said htat before and he's been banned.)

  12. #12
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,223
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Lot of clamour for welsby to get banned.
    What's everyone's thoughts?
    I’ve looked at the Welsby tackle in great detail a number of times. Perfect timing, arms wrapped, head tucked in, contact around the chest. Copybook and hard hitting ball and all tackle. If you think of the physics of the tackle, Atkin is jack -knifed by the force and he probably hit his mouth and nose on the top of Welsby’s head hence the blood. No contact with the head at all by Welsby’s shoulder. Best tackle I’ve seen in some time!

  13. #13
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,223
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Matautiaís tackle was arms wrapped and not dangerous. The ball had been passed fractionally ahead of the tackle. Sione was committed and couldnít pull out. The player was winded and Iím not surprised but he came back on and seemed fine. No ban for that even though Sione has previous!

  14. #14
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    780
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snellinmo View Post
    Matautia’s tackle was arms wrapped and not dangerous. The ball had been passed fractionally ahead of the tackle. Sione was committed and couldn’t pull out. The player was winded and I’m not surprised but he came back on and seemed fine. No ban for that even though Sione has previous!
    That's exactly how I see it, but I don't know if the disciplinary will.

    It really is a sad state of affairs that every tackle has to be dissected for a possibe ban rather than enjoyed as intended. I hope we see a more common sense approach next season.
    Last edited by BackrowSaint; 18th September 2022 at 16:02.

  15. #15
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    11,658
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Lot of clamour for welsby to get banned.
    What's everyone's thoughts?
    Haters wanting us to lose one of our most dangerous players. Hardly surprising. It was a good hard tackle. Welsby bent his back plenty to make the tackle. What more can he do? Its not his fault the salford lad was much shorter. He may have caught him high but was it with a swinging arm or shoulder? I don’t think it was. It was a front on hit imo.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

  16. #16
    In The West Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    7,299
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snellinmo View Post
    I’ve looked at the Welsby tackle in great detail a number of times. Perfect timing, arms wrapped, head tucked in, contact around the chest. Copybook and hard hitting ball and all tackle. If you think of the physics of the tackle, Atkin is jack -knifed by the force and he probably hit his mouth and nose on the top of Welsby’s head hence the blood. No contact with the head at all by Welsby’s shoulder. Best tackle I’ve seen in some time!
    Yes, I did the same thing played it over and over again. I came up with the exact same conclusion. I had it down as one of the great tackles of the season and a great advert in respect to the gladitorial aspect of the game. If they decide to ban Welsby then welcome to ................ SNOWFLAKE SUPERLEAGUE.

  17. #17
    In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,003
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Hopoate and Welsby's availability could be absolutely crucial especially if Knowles is banned.

    Disciplinary is tomorrow at 7.30pm tomorrow btw so fingers crossed we get some good news.
    As petty as this may sound if I was Saints and anyone beyond Knowles gets banned I'd pull everyone from the England squad as a middle finger to the RFL

  18. #18
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    11,140
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    When was the Matautia one so I can watch it back? Don’t remember it.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

  19. #19
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    780
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    When was the Matautia one so I can watch it back? Don’t remember it.
    Approx 15 mins into second half

  20. #20
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Bury
    Posts
    1,418
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BackrowSaint View Post
    I expect Hopoate to play, barring any set backs this week.
    guaranteed he will have set back

  21. #21
    Starting A Programme Collection greggo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    652
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Twentyman View Post
    This was my point on the other thread. In real time in looked a great tackle. Even one or two replays it looked great. Then the pundits start mentioning the bloody nose. Then they went over and over it at half time. Talk of 'that could have been a red card' started to arise. To his credit only JJB said 'nah not for me it looked OK, it's a semi final' etc. If that's not an attempt conscious or not to get a player in bother with the judiciary then I don't know what is. Now it's grown legs and the numpty fans over at Leeds are calling for a ban. If they don't get one, it's a case of 'Saints get all the decisions' blah blah blah.

    Really hope he's cleared to play.
    Pie sports

  22. #22
    Starting A Programme Collection greggo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    652
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by southernsaint7 View Post
    As petty as this may sound if I was Saints and anyone beyond Knowles gets banned I'd pull everyone from the England squad as a middle finger to the RFL
    I agree totally

  23. #23
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,542
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Knowles will miss the game, it’s almost a certainty. I don’t think Welsby will, though he’s had a few Grade A’s this year that have gone unpunished so an accumulation effect may be a factor, I suppose.

    Looking forward to the game, if being nervy, as I am for any final. What a way to do four in a row, beating Leeds, the first team to go three in a row and to put to put the period that felt like Groundhog Day against them. They’re a very good side under Smith and in great form and wins at Catalans and Wigan are testament to that.

    We’ve had some good finals as a game, both in the Cup and the Grand Final, in recent years and while I would rather we had the game wrapped up by half-time, I hope it’s another good day.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

  24. #24
    Got A Season Ticket NSL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    316
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Probably my ignorance but I haven't seen anything to suggest Hopoate will be fit? Happy if he is although I'd be reluctant to drop Bennison after yesterday, there may be some juggling about to do though.

    As for the disciplinary, they have been studying every minute detail of every contact and will probably find more than what we are already aware of. Most concerned about Welsby but I honestly think there won't be any bans.

  25. #25
    Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Crank caverns
    Posts
    1,030
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NSL View Post
    Probably my ignorance but I haven't seen anything to suggest Hopoate will be fit? Happy if he is although I'd be reluctant to drop Bennison after yesterday, there may be some juggling about to do though.

    As for the disciplinary, they have been studying every minute detail of every contact and will probably find more than what we are already aware of. Most concerned about Welsby but I honestly think there won't be any bans.
    Watch Woolf's post match interview on saints tv

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •