Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Grand Final 2022 - Saints V Leeds

In The South Stand

I watched it live on TV and as soon as Welsby made it i said WHAT a tackle and i said thats as perfect a tackle that could be made .

In The South Stand

Default Grand Final 2022 - Saints V Leeds

Quote Originally Posted by Scrum Down View Post
    Bennison to stay at full back for me. Percy centre, hopoate on the wing. Pack of Lees, Roby, Passi, Batchelor, Sironen and Bell. If Hopoate isn't fit we have no option but to play Davies as far as I can tell. Presumably he'd have to go centre with Percy on the wing. Knowles and Matautia have no chance in my opinion. We really need Hopate to come through this week. Welsby surely will be fine. If that gets a ban then I'm done with RL.
    If Hopoate is fit I’d play him at full back.

We look a better side in attack with him chiming in - I don’t think we can afford not to play him at FB if he’s fit.

Bennison to the wing assuming Knowles is banned which he will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The South Stand

Double post

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    I've seen a lot of talking of moving Bennison to the wing and playing Hopoate at full back, but I'd leave Benno where he is and put Will on the wing. Jon has been exposed on the wing a couple of times and lacks the physicality needed, especially as the wingers are crucial to us clearing our lines and with the need for strong defence against opposition wingers. He's been excellent at full back and his lack of strength does not get exposed as much back there, so I see no need to change it.
    It’s harsh on Bennison, whom I really rate, but if Hopoate is fully fit and ready to do 80 mins I’d swap him straight in at full back for Bennison and leave the rest of the backline the same. Firstly, Having Percy and Matautia in the three-quarters gives us a load of extra go-forward, which is hugely important given Walmsley’s absence. Secondly, we look a lot more secure defensively on the edges with that more experienced line up. And thirdly, on the few occasions Hopoate has played at full back we’ve looked like a completely different team in attack.

If Knowles does get banned that opens up a bench spot and there could be a case for giving it to Bennison; he’d be like-for-like cover for Hopoate and if we needed cover in the forwards we could put him on and shift Matautia into the pack. I suspect Woolf will want forwards on the bench though; if Norman has recovered I could see him getting the spot.

Noooobie

Lafai against Huddersfield tackled a player 5 seconds after the ball had been released and got no ban so I’m confident mata’utia won’t be banned however the consistency of the rfl is a joke, welsby’s tackle was a great tackle he hit the man in he’s chest and he clashed heads a little with him so I’m pretty sure that can’t be seen as a ban the one i am nervous about is knowles I think Atkin as made a meal out of it so looks worse pretty much every game a player grabs another players arms to slow the PTB atkin is on the verge of spinning round to escape it and falls around like there was a sniper if you watch it knowles doesn’t pull on he’s arm he’s just got hold and the pulling comes from atkin trying to pull away so fingers crossed we have no bans because Any of them being banned is a big loss

Got A Season Ticket

Norman has a busted cheekbone...more chance of me being picked!

Quote Originally Posted by Thommo View Post
    Norman has a busted cheekbone...more chance of me being picked!
    Fair enough. In that case I’d give it to Bennison.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

The judiciary this year have banned Knowles and Matautia for some pretty soft stuff. Fingers crossed our luck will swing tonight. For a showpiece final the league should want as much quality on the field as possible. Players missing finals for those small grey area 50/50 calls is stupid. Having said that, it didn’t stop them banning Matautia from last years cup final.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs

Surely they wont ban Knowles for that? Hardly anything, the Salford player milking it as though he was an 80 year old with arthritis.

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    The judiciary this year have banned Knowles and Matautia for some pretty soft stuff. Fingers crossed our luck will swing tonight. For a showpiece final the league should want as much quality on the field as possible. Players missing finals for those small grey area 50/50 calls is stupid. Having said that, it didn’t stop them banning Matautia from last years cup final.
    Even in the current climate I’d be amazed if they banned Matautia. Nothing remotely wrong with it. I’m expecting a ban for Knowles but that’s it.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Even in the current climate I’d be amazed if they banned Matautia. Nothing remotely wrong with it. I’m expecting a ban for Knowles but that’s it.
    I honestly think Knowles is the only one with a case to answer. The only thing that can save Knowles is the fact that;
    A. It wasn’t something he’s done before.
    B. It wasn’t a typical chicken wing.
    These two factors could reduce it from a ban, to a warning and heavy fine. The judiciary have to been seen to take some sort of action.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

The fact that the contact was initiated to slow down the play the ball rather than the suggestion to injure (ludicrous) should see him perhaps get a warning. He's got him in a slightly awkward position but not with any force or intention. A chicken wing in the truest sense is intended purely to injure and rightly has no part in our sport. Morgan is just not that kind of player.The rest is just hot air spouted by rival fans who don't want us to win 4 titles in a row, if it was a Salford player and they were going to a final it would barely be getting a mention

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Lot of clamour for welsby to get banned.
    What's everyone's thoughts?
    Really . Since when was making a brilliant tackle an offence . If he gets a ban for that I'd have to think long and hard about whether it's worth going the game any more .

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    I watched it live on TV and as soon as Welsby made it i said WHAT a tackle and i said thats as perfect a tackle that could be made .
    Watched the BBC highlight last night and I echo what John Kear said " it's a hard tackle and it's a legal tackle "

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by litherland saint View Post
    Really . Since when was making a brilliant tackle an offence . If he gets a ban for that I'd have to think long and hard about whether it's worth going the game any more .
    Totally agree. No case to answer.

I slowed it down and the blood comes from a head clash after Welsby rocks him back.

Front on, arms wrapped, no contact to the head. No issue for me.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by fizzy rascal View Post
    Totally agree. No case to answer.

I slowed it down and the blood comes from a head clash after Welsby rocks him back.

Front on, arms wrapped, no contact to the head. No issue for me.

It’s the no contact to the head point that it will turn on.

I thought it was head on head but slowed down it looks like it might have been his left shoulder.

Clearly unintentional and shouldn’t be a ban. Is he eligible for a 0 match Grade A?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post
    It’s the no contact to the head point that it will turn on.

I thought it was head on head but slowed down it looks like it might have been his left shoulder.

Clearly unintentional and shouldn’t be a ban. Is he eligible for a 0 match Grade A?

I think he's had a Grade A this season but could be wrong.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by BackrowSaint View Post
    I think he's had a Grade A this season but could be wrong.
    I think as long as it’s only one in last 24 months he’s eligible for 0 matches on a grade A?

Someone told me rules are two charges in 24 months including one in last 12 months means don’t get the lower penalty (ie 0 rather than 1 match at grade A).

If it’s above grade A obv he’d be done

Starting A Programme Collection NSL's Avatar

It's pretty pointless worrying about what the Match Review Panel will do, on previous experience they roll a dice to decide what happens.

Starting A Programme Collection NSL's Avatar

Knowles out, Bell up to 13 leaving a space on the bench? Hopoate situation could change things though.

Noooobie

Hopoate
    Makinson
    Hurrell
    Matautia
    Percival
    Lomax
    Welsby
    Lees
    Roby
    Paasi
    Batchelor
    Sironen
    Bell

Lussick wingfield lms bennison.

Lightweight bench but that would be our best starting line up. Matautia to move into the pack later in the game.

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mattyweb2602 View Post
    Hopoate
    Makinson
    Hurrell
    Matautia
    Percival
    Lomax
    Welsby
    Lees
    Roby
    Paasi
    Batchelor
    Sironen
    Bell

Lussick wingfield lms bennison.

Lightweight bench but that would be our best starting line up. Matautia to move into the pack later in the game.
    If Bennison doesn’t start no way will we put him on the bench.
    We’ll more likely go for this and keep Sione ready to slot back into centre should anything happen to Hoppa.
    Hopoate
    Makinson
    Hurrell
    Percy
    Bennison
    Welsby
    Lomax
    Lees
    Roby
    Paasi
    Sironen
    Batchelor
    Sione

Lussick
    Wingfield
    LMS
    Bell

Got A Season Ticket

Saints - Hopoate, Knowles, Dodd, Walmsley, Grace all out.

Leeds - Sezer, Gannon, Newman and potentially Handley and Fusitua

The game is dead. Each week we're seeing the best players sat in the stands through either suspension or Injuries.

Kids favourite players sat in the stands constantly. It's a right mess.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Saint View Post
    Saints - Hopoate, Knowles, Dodd, Walmsley, Grace all out.

Leeds - Sezer, Gannon, Newman and potentially Handley and Fusitua

The game is dead. Each week we're seeing the best players sat in the stands through either suspension or Injuries.

Kids favourite players sat in the stands constantly. It's a right mess.
    How many of those are bans? One?

Not sure we can say the game is dead because some players picked up injuries and one was (rightly imo) suspended.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post
    How many of those are bans? One?

Not sure we can say the game is dead because some players picked up injuries and one was (rightly imo) suspended.

I think the point is with the game continually getting tougher and tougher with ever advancing sports science, asking players to play as many games as we do is causing us to get to a unsustainable tipping point, leading to more and more players picking up serious injuries, and subsequently the quality of our showcase events dropping due to our elite players being injured. I think we could all agree that we would prefer both sides to be much closer to full strength than they are and the RFL to do more to protect players (including mandatory recovery times between games - playing 2 Easter’s this year was insanity).