Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 129

Thread: Grand Final 2022 - Saints V Leeds

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Age
    35
    Posts
    307
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Grand Final 2022 - Saints V Leeds

    Thought we should just make a single thread for the build up to the big game.

    Confirmed Sezer won't play:

    https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post...t-grand-final/


    What does everyone think the team will be?
    I'm assuming Knowles will cop a small ban, so what about Hoppa to FB, Bennison to wing, Percival to centre and Matautia to LF?



    Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    562
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Yeah I was about to do the same

    Just been reading the Leeds forum they are begging for welsby to get a ban for a near perfect tackle..

    Knowles will be banned of course. For me Bell straight in for Knowles at LF..
    It's a tough one for bennison. I like the look of him at full back. Hopoate in the centre and keep percival on the wing?
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS
    Insta @christianjamescreative

  3. #3
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    818
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Hopoate
    Makinson
    Hurrell
    Percival
    Bennison
    Welsby
    Lomax
    Paasi
    Roby
    Lees
    Batchelor
    Sironen/Mata'utia
    Bell

    Lussick
    LMS
    Wingfield
    Sironen/Mata'utia

    ---

    Myler
    Briscoe
    Hardaker
    Sutcliffe
    Tindall
    Austin
    Leeming
    Oledzki
    O'Connor
    Prior
    Bentley
    Tetevano
    Smith

    Dwyer
    Walters
    Thompson
    Donaldson

  4. #4
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Windle
    Posts
    362
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CGSaint View Post
    Yeah I was about to do the same

    Just been reading the Leeds forum they are begging for welsby to get a ban for a near perfect tackle..

    Knowles will be banned of course. For me Bell straight in for Knowles at LF..
    It's a tough one for bennison. I like the look of him at full back. Hopoate in the centre and keep percival on the wing?
    This was my point on the other thread. In real time in looked a great tackle. Even one or two replays it looked great. Then the pundits start mentioning the bloody nose. Then they went over and over it at half time. Talk of 'that could have been a red card' started to arise. To his credit only JJB said 'nah not for me it looked OK, it's a semi final' etc. If that's not an attempt conscious or not to get a player in bother with the judiciary then I don't know what is. Now it's grown legs and the numpty fans over at Leeds are calling for a ban. If they don't get one, it's a case of 'Saints get all the decisions' blah blah blah.

    Really hope he's cleared to play.

  5. #5
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    8,638
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Hopoate and Welsby's availability could be absolutely crucial especially if Knowles is banned.

    Disciplinary is tomorrow at 7.30pm tomorrow btw so fingers crossed we get some good news.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

  6. #6
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    818
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Hopoate and Welsby's availability could be absolutely crucial especially if Knowles is banned.

    Disciplinary is tomorrow at 7.30pm tomorrow btw so fingers crossed we get some good news.
    I expect Hopoate to play, barring any set backs this week.

  7. #7
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    11,658
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    I don’t mind Hopoate coming back in at fullback if Woolf is confident that he can last the 80 minutes. The last time Leeds beat us at Old Trafford was when Wellens went off injured. So we know all too well how an injury in a final can punish.
    My only real concern coming out of yesterdays game is Matautia at centre. I think we really need Percy at centre.
    I’m not concerned with us facing Leeds. It’s 11 years since our last GF loss. Two very different looking teams with only Hardaker, Lomax, Roby, Makinson and Scarsbrook still involved (i think). If we lose next Saturday it will be because Leeds are better on the night. It won’t be any hoodoo.

    If anything, we should be eager to right some wrongs.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

  8. #8
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    8,638
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BackrowSaint View Post
    I expect Hopoate to play, barring any set backs this week.
    Fingers crossed.

    If Hopoate does play I would expect him at full back, Bennison to go to the wing, with Percival Centre, Sione to loose (or bench with Bell loose). If Hopoate did get injured we'd just revert back to yesterdays backline so itd be worth the risk IMO. If Welsby is available too we'd have the strongest backline and halves combination we've had since April.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

  9. #9
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Bury
    Posts
    1,448
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BackrowSaint View Post
    I expect Hopoate to play, barring any set backs this week.
    guaranteed he will have set back

  10. #10
    In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,017
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Hopoate and Welsby's availability could be absolutely crucial especially if Knowles is banned.

    Disciplinary is tomorrow at 7.30pm tomorrow btw so fingers crossed we get some good news.
    As petty as this may sound if I was Saints and anyone beyond Knowles gets banned I'd pull everyone from the England squad as a middle finger to the RFL

  11. #11
    Starting A Programme Collection greggo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    652
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by southernsaint7 View Post
    As petty as this may sound if I was Saints and anyone beyond Knowles gets banned I'd pull everyone from the England squad as a middle finger to the RFL
    I agree totally

  12. #12
    Starting A Programme Collection greggo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    652
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Twentyman View Post
    This was my point on the other thread. In real time in looked a great tackle. Even one or two replays it looked great. Then the pundits start mentioning the bloody nose. Then they went over and over it at half time. Talk of 'that could have been a red card' started to arise. To his credit only JJB said 'nah not for me it looked OK, it's a semi final' etc. If that's not an attempt conscious or not to get a player in bother with the judiciary then I don't know what is. Now it's grown legs and the numpty fans over at Leeds are calling for a ban. If they don't get one, it's a case of 'Saints get all the decisions' blah blah blah.

    Really hope he's cleared to play.
    Pie sports

  13. #13
    Got A Season Ticket complex.matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Manchester
    Age
    33
    Posts
    297
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    If Hopoate isn’t fit I’d go with

    FB. Bennison
    RW. Makinson
    RC. Hurrell
    LC. Matautia
    LW. Percival
    SO. Lomax
    SH. Welsby
    PR. Paasi
    HK. Roby
    PR. Lees
    SR. Batch
    SR. Sironen
    LF. Bell

    SUB. Lussick
    SUB. Davies
    SUB. Wingfield
    SUB. LMS


    If he is fit I’d go with (Hopoate slotting in at FB to keep him out of the defensive line as much as possible)

    FB. Hopoate
    RW. Makinson
    RC. Hurrell
    LC. Percival
    LW. Bennison
    SO. Lomax
    SH. Welsby
    PR. Paasi
    HK. Roby
    PR. Lees
    SR. Batch
    SR. Sironen
    LF. Matautia

    SUB. Lussick
    SUB. Bell
    SUB. Wingfield
    SUB. LMS

  14. #14
    In The West Stand The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Harrogate
    Age
    32
    Posts
    7,033
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by complex.matt View Post
    If Hopoate isn’t fit I’d go with

    FB. Bennison
    RW. Makinson
    RC. Hurrell
    LC. Matautia
    LW. Percival
    SO. Lomax
    SH. Welsby
    PR. Paasi
    HK. Roby
    PR. Lees
    SR. Batch
    SR. Sironen
    LF. Bell

    SUB. Lussick
    SUB. Davies
    SUB. Wingfield
    SUB. LMS


    If he is fit I’d go with (Hopoate slotting in at FB to keep him out of the defensive line as much as possible)

    FB. Hopoate
    RW. Makinson
    RC. Hurrell
    LC. Percival
    LW. Bennison
    SO. Lomax
    SH. Welsby
    PR. Paasi
    HK. Roby
    PR. Lees
    SR. Batch
    SR. Sironen
    LF. Matautia

    SUB. Lussick
    SUB. Bell
    SUB. Wingfield
    SUB. LMS
    I think they are pretty much the likely line up options assuming Knowles doesn’t get off. I think Bell will start at loose forward over Mata’utia though. Bell has the intensity and work rate to take up that Knowles enforcer role in defence alongside Lees, also has the hands to take the ball to the line and pass.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

  15. #15
    In The West Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    7,359
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    I would have Sironen at 13 to replace Knowles he would add more punch in the middle with being an effective prop missing. Matautia to go back to his usual left edge role were he built up an understanding with Percival before both got injured. Batchelor is usual right edge supporting Hurrell in both offence and defence.

    Bell to come off the bench against a tiring Leeds defence later in the first half. Wingfield and LMS bench props provide quite a bit of mobility, but maybe Woolf will have Lees doing some long minutes whilst he is on form at the moment.

  16. #16
    really is sorry Reacher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wigan
    Age
    47
    Posts
    11,548
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Why are people suggesting that Sironen or Matautia play at 13? They've not played a single game there all season and we are choosing a GF to try this. Its barmy.

    Its very very simple, Bell to replace Knowles at 13, something that we've done a lot this season. Lussick to come on if Bell needs spelling and Roby to 13.

  17. #17
    Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,382
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Mata'utia on the bench for me if Hopoate is fit. He is carrying an injury anyway and no disrespect to Royle but our bench isn't the strongest.

    Although I wouldn't be surprised if Woolf swaps Hopoate with Bennison and leaves the rest, based on this quote

    "Put those four together, when you are under pressure and trying to get off your own tryline, those four do it better than anyone else and having those four back in the team was a big difference for us today."

  18. #18
    In The West Stand Dux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    5,133
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    For me our two biggest problems this year have been chopping and changing on the edges, which has caused problems with our defence, and a relatively blunt attack, caused also by changes on the edges but mostly by the absence of Dodd and Hopoate.

    For those reasons I’d be against any solution which involves moving around three-quarters and/or second-rowers, which would introduce yet another new combination on the edge. For me the best option is to field the same back line as last week but with Hopoate at full back if fit and Bell at 13. I wouldn’t normally advocate a back on the bench in a big game like this, but as we’re more or less through our top-line forward depth, as having Sione at centre gives us a bit of flexibility, and as we might want to plan for the possibility of Hopoate not getting through the 80, I’d give Bennison that last bench spot.

  19. #19
    In The West Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    7,359
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    Why are people suggesting that Sironen or Matautia play at 13? They've not played a single game there all season and we are choosing a GF to try this. Its barmy.

    Its very very simple, Bell to replace Knowles at 13, something that we've done a lot this season. Lussick to come on if Bell needs spelling and Roby to 13.
    We need a lot of size and power in the first quarter with the absence of Walmsley and Knowles, Sironen would provide that. in my opinion Bell is a bit light to get us on the front foot straight away in what will be a very tight opening heavy guns quarter,

    Bell is an open field runner and doesn't punch big holes in the defensive line. I don't recall Bell being a starting player, will be interesting to see in a few days what Woolf decides on his starting 13. The only concern I have is Matautia's discipline and will be favourite for the yellow card, hopefully he has been given instructions to avoid that.

  20. #20
    In The South Stand The.Reverand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,854
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    I just hope if Hopoate does play and doesn’t manage to finish the game we get the shredder out.

  21. #21
    Learning All The Songs RJM25R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Royton, Oldham
    Posts
    2,066
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The.Reverand View Post
    I just hope if Hopoate does play and doesn’t manage to finish the game we get the shredder out.
    Just as a matter of interest, last season people were calling Paasi “Passive” on here and look how he has been this season…

    Hurrell was a stinker of a signing said some, and look how he’s improved.

    Of course I could be wrong but maybe an off season with our strength and fitness coaches will make him fitter for next season because there’s a player under those bandages, without a doubt…..
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

    This life is more than just a read through.

  22. #22
    In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,017
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Just as a matter of interest, last season people were calling Paasi “Passive” on here and look how he has been this season…

    Hurrell was a stinker of a signing said some, and look how he’s improved.

    Of course I could be wrong but maybe an off season with our strength and fitness coaches will make him fitter for next season because there’s a player under those bandages, without a doubt…..
    Passi did show some good signs til he got Covid to be fair

  23. #23
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,896
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Just watched the Woolf interview and he said Norman and Simm have a chance of coming back into the team alongside Hopoate. If Norman can come back in I would be very tempted to go

    Hopoate
    Makinson Hurrell Mata'utia Percival
    Welsby Lomax
    Paasi Roby Lees
    Sironen Batchelor
    Wingfield

    Lussick Bell LMS Norman

  24. #24
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    818
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Just watched the Woolf interview and he said Norman and Simm have a chance of coming back into the team alongside Hopoate. If Norman can come back in I would be very tempted to go

    Hopoate
    Makinson Hurrell Mata'utia Percival
    Welsby Lomax
    Paasi Roby Lees
    Sironen Batchelor
    Wingfield

    Lussick Bell LMS Norman
    Norman and Simm are both on the very unlikely side of making it so I wouldn't expect them to play. Hopoate though is in full training.

  25. #25
    really is sorry Reacher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wigan
    Age
    47
    Posts
    11,548
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Of course I could be wrong but maybe an off season with our strength and fitness coaches will make him fitter for next season because there’s a player under those bandages, without a doubt…..
    You mean like before this season? He had a full
    off season with the same coaches.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •