Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attack coach required

Starting A Programme Collection

Default Attack coach required

Saints had all the game and should in reality have won easily yet struggled to score tries. The game is not just about defence tries win games.

Learning All The Songs

When we had our full team available our attack was a joy to watch earlier in the season.

Sent from my XQ-BT52 using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by notawiginfan View Post
    Saints had all the game and should in reality have won easily yet struggled to score tries. The game is not just about defence tries win games.
    We played one out rugby all game

Learning All The Songs

Well I didn't think we would win that

Thank god for Lomax

Saints need to stay switched on mentally for the full 80 against Leeds.. if anyone can push it to their limits this current Saints team can

COME ON SAINTS
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS
    Insta @christianjamescreative

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

We are also often average post a week off. Just got to hope we have enough of the right pegs for next week now

Learning All The Songs

Said the same thing in the New Coach thread - regardless of bodies missing, our handling of late has been poor. Struggling to move the ball outwide without a misplaced pass or a knock-on.

Got A Season Ticket

I thought this was a job advertisement then.

Learning All The Songs

It is going to be Longy

Noooobie

And when we start conceding on average more than 11 points a games watch out for the thread "We need a defence coach".

According to the gloomsters on here, we were thrashed 12-19.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by St. Ulrich of Augsburg View Post
    And when we start conceding on average more than 11 points a games watch out for the thread "We need a defence coach".

According to the gloomsters on here, we were thrashed 12-19.
    No we won 19-12 but there was only one good try in the game and we didn’t score it. Our attack was poor and has often been poor recently. Our defence is very rarely poor.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    No we won 19-12 but there was only one good try in the game and we didn’t score it. Our attack was poor and has often been poor recently. Our defence is very rarely poor.
    In semi final rugby there are no good tries or bad tries - there are only tries which win the game. If you want to watch the champagne rugby watch out games up to and including Good Friday, we played some great stuff before we lost Dodd. But honestly couldn’t care less about where or how the points come from next Saturday as long as we have more of them than Leeds after 80 minutes

Noooobie

I wish I could take you on face value. And you would be quite happy to have conceded nearly twice as many points like Salford did, as long as we scored 24 more. But I think this board would die of shame.

Learning All The Songs

I wish I could take you on face value. And you would be quite happy to have conceded nearly twice as many points like Salford did, as long as we scored 24 more. But I think this board would die of shame.
    No. But I would like to see some semblance of attacking ideas, even in a semi final.

Noooobie

Almost as if we we were missing a England class scrum half through injury or something wasn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    It is going to be Longy
    That would be a retrograde step.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

In big games it's always easier to throw it about when you're behind. Always being a score in front, you just want to play out your sets - similarly a few scores behind and you can throw it around..

I thought we were playing quite expansive at 12-0, but shut up shop when Knowles got sin-binned and never really got going again

Learning All The Songs

Almost as if we we were missing a England class scrum half through injury or something wasn't it?
    The players we had out today are all good players. For me there is something lacking in the way Woolf coaches attack, he is a brilliant defence coach but this is not only due to missing Dodd, good as he obviously is. This thread is about whether we need a new coaching approach to how we attack and I believe we do. If it wasn’t for Lomax today it is possible we wouldn’t have scored any tries.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

I think you have to give credit to the opposition defence, they don't just stand there and let you run rings around them.

In The South Stand

We scored more points than the opposition again.

Like we have done to win three consecutive titles and the current LLS and make the GF.

If we score more points again next week I’ll be quite pleased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noooobie

And on an NFL thread: if it wasn't for Mahomes, the Chiefs would have scored nothing. We need a new offensive coach.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    In semi final rugby there are no good tries or bad tries - there are only tries which win the game. If you want to watch the champagne rugby watch out games up to and including Good Friday, we played some great stuff before we lost Dodd. But honestly couldn’t care less about where or how the points come from next Saturday as long as we have more of them than Leeds after 80 minutes
    Exactly before we lost Dodd we were averaging 32pts a game with some fantastic tries. When we added strike players Percival, Hopoate, Grace Makinson and Matautia to that injury list we went down to 22pts a game. The back end of the season we have had scores, 60, 36, 34. 10, 38. I think we finished the season averaging 26 pts a game

Woolf changed tactic today and introduced a more smart kicking game to add pressure, Salford did the opposite and played all the first half and start of the second half with one man rugby. That saints tactic gave Lomax the man of the man today.

Got A Season Ticket

Remember the days we used to play for beautiful stuff hammering Leeds in the semis. Only for them to bitch us in grand finals. Grind out the win that's all we can ask!

Learning All The Songs

We need a scrum half and a relatively settled back five. At the moment we're just playing to the strengths of the team we can get on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Private Pyle View Post
    We need a scrum half and a relatively settled back five. At the moment we're just playing to the strengths of the team we can get on the field.
    Great point.

This season is just about getting through it and manufacturing ways to win with limited resources.

Next season needs some serious work on the attack.

Just saying Dodd back is a bit too simplistic.

Getting to the final with the bodies available is a huge achievement.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    Next season needs some serious work on the attack.

Just saying Dodd back is a bit too simplistic.
    It's not just been Dodd though. Grace, Percival and Hopoate have missed most of the season. Sione missed half the season, Makinson missed over a month of the season. Lomax played with a ruptured bicep since April. That is alot of attacking talent in the stands or playing half fit for large chunks of the season.

To have finished top and make the Grand Final is an unbelievable achievement. Hopefully next season our spine and outside backs will be alot more settled and we'll see attacking improvements. Pre Easter we were scoring for fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste