Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Attack coach required

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    It's not just been Dodd though. Grace, Percival and Hopoate have missed most of the season. Sione missed half the season, Makinson missed over a month of the season. Lomax played with a ruptured bicep since April. That is alot of attacking talent in the stands or playing half fit for large chunks of the season.

To have finished top and make the Grand Final is an unbelievable achievement. Hopefully next season our spine and outside backs will be alot more settled and we'll see attacking improvements. Pre Easter we were scoring for fun.
    This. Coupled with a crisis in the backs hit us at the worst possible transition period, with Welsby/ Dodd already making first grade, and the “next off the conveyor belt” being a year or two too early for them. If the exact same situation occurred next season, I would expect to see a lot more of Roberts, Archer, Sambou x2, along with Bennison (who was fantastic today) than we have been able to this season. We really only had Simm in that position this year, whose head dropped and didn’t make the cut.

Ironically if it were the forwards suffering, were in a stronger position, with Norman, Wingfield, Royle and Baxter all having been in a first team environment for a year or two longer and even Delaney and Buckley looking for the next step.

It’ll be a really interesting recruitment year

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

It's not just been Dodd though. Grace, Percival and Hopoate have missed most of the season. Sione missed half the season, Makinson missed over a month of the season. Lomax played with a ruptured bicep since April. That is alot of attacking talent in the stands or playing half fit for large chunks of the season.

To have finished top and make the Grand Final is an unbelievable achievement. Hopefully next season our spine and outside backs will be alot more settled and we'll see attacking improvements. Pre Easter we were scoring for fun.
    I agree, some of the moaning on here is embarrassing and really under values what this team have gone through to be where they are

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

Got A Season Ticket zerohero1266's Avatar

Dodd missing.
    Lomax playing with one arm.
    Welsby out of position.
    Grace missing.

Is it any wonder our attack play is laboured.

In The South Stand

I thoroughly enjoyed the first 25 of today. We looked dangerous with the ball, could have had a couple of tries but for dropped balls, good defence and a bit of bad luck but at 12-0 I thought we were relatively comfortable as the attack was pretty strong, if the scoreboard wasn’t, and our defence was mean and on top. The decisive moment was Knowles’ brain exploding and trying to slow the play the ball down the one time Salford had the ball in our end. It cost us a try and the momentum swung their way and I don’t think it ever really swung back our way and only the sheer talent of Lomax saw us home.

Does that mean we need a new attack coach? No, I don’t think it does. We’d have played Grace, Dodd and Walmsley, if fit, and maybe Hopoate (though that’s a Hopoate v Percival debate given Hurrell’s consistency) and Grace, Dodd and Big Al are all major points of our attack for different reasons. I’m aware we weren’t at our best, though it doesn’t mean we can’t improve in a weeks time. That without mentioning Lomax has played with one arm for half a year and he’s still comfortably one of the best English players in the game.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    I thoroughly enjoyed the first 25 of today. We looked dangerous with the ball, could have had a couple of tries but for dropped balls, good defence and a bit of bad luck but at 12-0 I thought we were relatively comfortable as the attack was pretty strong, if the scoreboard wasn’t, and our defence was mean and on top. The decisive moment was Knowles’ brain exploding and trying to slow the play the ball down the one time Salford had the ball in our end. It cost us a try and the momentum swung their way and I don’t think it ever really swung back our way and only the sheer talent of Lomax saw us home.

Does that mean we need a new attack coach? No, I don’t think it does. We’d have played Grace, Dodd and Walmsley, if fit, and maybe Hopoate (though that’s a Hopoate v Percival debate given Hurrell’s consistency) and Grace, Dodd and Big Al are all major points of our attack for different reasons. I’m aware we weren’t at our best, though it doesn’t mean we can’t improve in a weeks time. That without mentioning Lomax has played with one arm for half a year and he’s still comfortably one of the best English players in the game.
    There's two different questions.

Do we need an attack coach on the basis of what we are seeing now or in general for new season?

On the first question no. Saints have done really well with the resources available. The use of Sironen and Batchelor plus the lines of running of Lees Paasi are great.
    While the handling along the backline is patchy , equally the short kicking gme has improved out of all recognition.

For next season I would say yes we do need one despite hopefully having all hands on deck.

The game is changing, sides are catching up and woolf defence alone won't keep winning things.
    You need a point of difference. The quality of attack across SL is poor. Salford are an exception.
    Therefore attack is the area of the game in which all clubs have the greatest development potential.
    Given Saints are getting a new coach means two assistant vacancies.

Makes sense that one of them have some attacking credentials.

Can't argue with that.

Applying pressure, minimal errors & tough defence is what will win it for either Leeds or Saints.

It's going to be very, very hard next week.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    There's two different questions.

Do we need an attack coach on the basis of what we are seeing now or in general for new season?

On the first question no. Saints have done really well with the resources available. The use of Sironen and Batchelor plus the lines of running of Lees Paasi are great.
    While the handling along the backline is patchy , equally the short kicking gme has improved out of all recognition.

For next season I would say yes we do need one despite hopefully having all hands on deck.

The game is changing, sides are catching up and woolf defence alone won't keep winning things.
    You need a point of difference. The quality of attack across SL is poor. Salford are an exception.
    Therefore attack is the area of the game in which all clubs have the greatest development potential.
    Given Saints are getting a new coach means two assistant vacancies.

Makes sense that one of them have some attacking credentials.
    Don't think its a priority, out of the 4 seasons we've made it to a grand final only one of those seasons was attack based when Ben Barba was in the team. The rest of the time its fundamently good defence and pressure, quite a few games we,ve attacked the opposition when they have had the ball by dominatiing momentum.

The team do quite a lot of passing skills training thats been going on for many years with a slight drop off in that Cunningham year, the scholarship and academy train the same way, the set playing patterns seemed to be OK at the start of the season but that gradually dissapeared when we lost Dodd and Percival.

Its been said a few times that the team coaches itself and thats down to the experienced smart leadership players in the side, that made it so much easier for Holbrook and Woolf. Once we start to lose those smart players then maybe we can look at an attack coach but at the moment the balance is about right especially when we have all our players available.

In The South Stand The.Reverand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    No we won 19-12 but there was only one good try in the game and we didn’t score it. Our attack was poor and has often been poor recently. Our defence is very rarely poor.
    You have to credit Salfords defence. It was brutal at times. Also Bennisons try was superbly taken, the lad had a cracker of a game.

Got A Season Ticket

Fully understandable view. However, earlier in the season the attack was excellent. Dodd and JL at half back with Welsby the backfield threat at 1 was an excellent base. Our 3/4 line should have been 4 from Tommy, Hurrell, Percy, Grace and Hopoate. 8 names there and only 3 have been available all season and Lomax may have been carrying an injury. All told that does not allow any patterns to be established at all & with Welsby not being at full back has potentially been a big blow as teams would have had to defend differently against us than they are currently doing.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by zerohero1266 View Post
    Dodd missing.
    Lomax playing with one arm.
    Welsby out of position.
    Grace missing.

Is it any wonder our attack play is laboured.
    The majority of posters on here think Welsby should be at six.

Learning All The Songs

Attack coach probably more Physio's definitely

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by St. Ulrich of Augsburg View Post
    Almost as if we we were missing a England class scrum half through injury or something wasn't it?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by notawiginfan View Post
    The majority of posters on here think Welsby should be at six.
    Dodd isn’t going to be anywhere but 7 leaving you with Lomax and Welsby. It Has to be Lomax at 6 with Welsby as an attacking FB.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The.Reverand View Post
    You have to credit Salfords defence. It was brutal at times. Also Bennisons try was superbly taken, the lad had a cracker of a game.
    Yes, I agree.

Learning All The Songs

Bennison is going to be in this conversation soon enough too.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS
    Insta @christianjamescreative

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Dodd isn’t going to be anywhere but 7 leaving you with Lomax and Welsby. It Has to be Lomax at 6 with Welsby as an attacking FB.
    I agree. Welsby at 6 in time. I think Lomax would make a great assistant coach but he’s in pole position for stand off now

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Don't think its a priority, out of the 4 seasons we've made it to a grand final only one of those seasons was attack based when Ben Barba was in the team. The rest of the time its fundamently good defence and pressure, quite a few games we,ve attacked the opposition when they have had the ball by dominatiing momentum.

The team do quite a lot of passing skills training thats been going on for many years with a slight drop off in that Cunningham year, the scholarship and academy train the same way, the set playing patterns seemed to be OK at the start of the season but that gradually dissapeared when we lost Dodd and Percival.

Its been said a few times that the team coaches itself and thats down to the experienced smart leadership players in the side, that made it so much easier for Holbrook and Woolf. Once we start to lose those smart players then maybe we can look at an attack coach but at the moment the balance is about right especially when we have all our players available.
    Barba wasn’t in the team in 2019. We didn’t make the Grand Final with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    Barba wasn’t in the team in 2019. We didn’t make the Grand Final with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes you are correct about the grand finals and it was Lachlan Coote, but we were more attacked based when Barba played that season.