Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: O'Connor to present Grand Final trophy

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo8 View Post
    The issue to me is that it seems so half hearted and ill thought through, it is literally "who will be there that we can get to do it" - and it just sums up the half hearted and lazy way that the game is being run at the moment.

If they want to make this ceremony of bringing the trophy out something important as part of the occasion then there should be some thought put into it.

Either give the honour to an unsung hero/a retiring player/the man of steel or young player of the year/a legend linked to both competing teams.

Give it some meaning or don't bother. Don't just give it to the first former player that wanders past the meeting room when they are deciding.
    Exactly this.

Learning All The Songs saint mac's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post
    Exactly this.
    Paul Sculthorpe must be in with a chance of presenting The World Cup.

Learning All The Songs

I'm not really arsed about who brings the trophy on in fairness, but if we are going to make a big deal as a sport about having someone bring it on, I would sooner see a community club volunteer who deserves recognition doing it than any old A N Other.

Give them a couple of lounge tickets, announcement over the tannoy and bring the trophy our shaking the captain's hands. Would make someone who deserves it year and put a bit of meaning into it with little to no expense.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by BackrowSaint View Post
    I'm not really arsed about who brings the trophy on in fairness, but if we are going to make a big deal as a sport about having someone bring it on, I would sooner see a community club volunteer who deserves recognition doing it than any old A N Other.

Good idea mate

Lots of people who deserve a moment in the sun.

Kevin Sinfield for his amazing fundraising, Chris Lowe from Rochdale who lost his little lad Freddie to cancer last year and has been running 5k every day this year raising money for North Manchester children’s hospital, Martin Blondel from the SPF, Danny Sculthorpe for his work with StateofMind…. That’s just off the top of my head.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Got A Season Ticket

It doesn't matter who presents to trophy as long as they're handing it to James Roby...

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saint mac View Post
    Paul Sculthorpe must be in with a chance of presenting The World Cup.
    Suppose it will be a lifetime achievement to finally hold the thing if he does

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

There hasn't been a year since my first game in the mid-1980s that somebody hasn't said that the game is "dying". Of course, it's nothing of the sort, but even if it was, suggesting Terry O'Connor is symptomatic of it because he's walking out with the trophy is just a tad over-dramatic. :-)
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    There hasn't been a year since my first game in the mid-1980s that somebody hasn't said that the game is "dying". Of course, it's nothing of the sort, but even if it was, suggesting Terry O'Connor is symptomatic of it because he's walking out with the trophy is just a tad over-dramatic. :-)
    It's the final straw, kids all over the country will be hanging up their boots when they see Terry walking out with the trophy.

In The South Stand

Can any one actually remember anyone that has brought out the trophy in all the years it's been running? Do people talk about who brought it out ? No they talk about the game,the incidents,who won the Harry Sunderland and who won the game.

Got A Season Ticket Two Sugars Strong's Avatar

I heard Nadine Dorries was presenting it, down Twickenham.
    That's the Saints way...

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Didn't scully present it in 2020?

In The South Stand The.Reverand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Two Sugars Strong View Post
    I heard Nadine Dorries was presenting it, down Twickenham.
    Nadine Dorries needs to present herself to an oncoming train.

Learning All The Songs

Most on here saying others are more deserving, that Terry did not achieve as much as some in his career.
    Really !! A four time dream team member, Ireland captain, GB capped and a pundit on the broadcast station.
    He declared how honored he was to be asked and that potentially (now reality) that his son could be behind him, he follows most junior games and is an RL fan, "just a fat kid from Widnes" as he says humbly.
    Some very bitter people on here, who post utter sh@!e at times, trying to cover up their own lack of recognition thinking they deserve in their own eyes .

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Most on here saying others are more deserving, that Terry did not achieve as much as some in his career.
    Really !! A four time dream team member, Ireland captain, GB capped and a pundit on the broadcast station.
    He declared how honored he was to be asked and that potentially (now reality) that his son could be behind him, he follows most junior games and is an RL fan, "just a fat kid from Widnes" as he says humbly.
    Some very bitter people on here, who post utter sh@!e at times, trying to cover up their own lack of recognition thinking they deserve in their own eyes .
    Yeah people think he’s a lazy choice for a ceremonial role because of their own lack of recognition. Good one!

I’m sure he is very honoured, and so he should be and it’s great his kid is playing. Doesn’t stop it being a lazy choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

Yeah people think he’s a lazy choice for a ceremonial role because of their own lack of recognition. Good one!

I’m sure he is very honoured, and so he should be and it’s great his kid is playing. Doesn’t stop it being a lazy choice.

It`s not a lazy choice he has the credentials for it as a player and the profile due to his media work. How is that a lazy choice?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

It`s not a lazy choice he has the credentials for it as a player and the profile due to his media work. How is that a lazy choice?
    I wouldn’t think his profile in media gives him much credit, most think he spouts rubbish. One thing Sky probably looked at his that he will cost the nothing. If they want to get the atmosphere going at the GF they should show him on the big screen going toe to toe with Tallies.

In The South Stand

You can have your opinion chap, my opinion is if you’re going to announce something (which you only do when you consider it worthy of announcement) go for someone with genuine profile outside the sport or someone obviously deserving within it.

TOC is a Sky commentator on the game. He’s on tv every week. What is the point of it?

It’s just rubbish. You think differently and that’s fair enough.

Learning All The Songs

You can have your opinion chap, my opinion is if you’re going to announce something (which you only do when you consider it worthy of announcement) go for someone with genuine profile outside the sport or someone obviously deserving within it.

TOC is a Sky commentator on the game. He’s on tv every week. What is the point of it?

It’s just rubbish. You think differently and that’s fair enough.

That is what a forum is for FTV differing thoughts. I have detailed his playing achievements, media profile and now by chance a backstory. Worthy choice in my opinion.

You speak of rubbish some of the first page posts are just that, among other things.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I wouldn’t think his profile in media gives him much credit, most think he spouts rubbish. One thing Sky probably looked at his that he will cost the nothing. If they want to get the atmosphere going at the GF they should show him on the big screen going toe to toe with Tallies.
    thought he came out well with Tallis considering he got the first four in before TOC knew what was happening.

Most thought Stevo & Eddie were rubbish, now they think these incumbents are rubbish and want another set of commentators who will also be rubbish within a few weeks in their opinions.

That does not include yourself Belgian, your posts are among a few I actively seek out as they are usually reasoned and well thought out.

Banned

That is what a forum is for FTV differing thoughts. I have detailed his playing achievements, media profile and now by chance a backstory. Worthy choice in my opinion.

You speak of rubbish some of the first page posts are just that, among other things.
    Mate could you see say Dion Dublin or Gary Neville presenting the Premier League trophy….? Could you envisage Shane Williams presenting the Six Nations. Its a lazy appointment.

Learning All The Songs

Can everyone get a f###### grip. You all sound like stereotypical northerners moaning for moaning sake. Cheer up you bunch of negative w######
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS
    Insta @christianjamescreative

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Mate could you see say Dion Dublin or Gary Neville presenting the Premier League trophy….? Could you envisage Shane Williams presenting the Six Nations. Its a lazy appointment.
    He is walking out with the trophy not presenting it.
    TOC is a good choice he is former player who still has a profile through his punditry. I do not follow any other sport bar boxing so I will never see who presents the Football or RU trophies. If it was a former player who walked out with a trophy I don`t think many would be too concerned, Beckham got enough positive headlines for visiting the Queen whilst in repose.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    He's walking the trophy out pre game,not presenting it. Two totally different things.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

thought he came out well with Tallis considering he got the first four in before TOC knew what was happening.

Most thought Stevo & Eddie were rubbish, now they think these incumbents are rubbish and want another set of commentators who will also be rubbish within a few weeks in their opinions.

That does not include yourself Belgian, your posts are among a few I actively seek out as they are usually reasoned and well thought out.
    Tallis in an interview said he couldn’t believe O’Connor didn’t go down after them first punches, and said he had never been hit with fists as hard as T O’C’s.