Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Lewis Murphy

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I know wing is a priority but we don't need to rush into it with silly money. The club needs to assess if Hopoate has longevity and will put his injuries behind him for next season. Some on here know that Percival has been doing a lot of sprint training and has come up with some impressive speed times.

With that in mind we could go:

1. Welsby

2 Percival
    3. Hopoate
    4. Hurrell
    5. Makinson

6 Lomax
    7. Dodd

With Davies, Bennison, Archer, Sambou and Hill to cover.

Got A Season Ticket

Ashall-Bott anyone?

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealHarryPinner View Post
    Ashall-Bott anyone?
    He is rapid but seems a bit small and injury prone too would make a decent squad filler ???

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I know wing is a priority but we don't need to rush into it with silly money. The club needs to assess if Hopoate has longevity and will put his injuries behind him for next season. Some on here know that Percival has been doing a lot of sprint training and has come up with some impressive speed times.

1. Welsby

2 Percival
    3. Hopoate
    4. Hurrell
    5. Makinson

6 Lomax
    7. Dodd

I don't get why people are so against trying to sign someone? We gain absolutely nothing from doing that. Hopoate is a busted flush, you don't need to be a medical expert to see that. He can't run, let alone sustain fitness throughout a professional season any more. That would leave us with Davies in the centres. Whilst it'd be 'fine', if our attitude as a club is to just do the bare minimum to get through all the time as everyone suggests, we'll end up migrating south down the table eventually.

If Murphy is really a no-go (Which seems mighty unrealistic given the financial position Wakefield are in and the amount of key players they need to sign for next season) then we move one of the overseas players on and we get someone in. We don't need to give someone a five year deal, we could easily sign someone on a 1 year deal. But as mentioned that exposes us to Murphy being off contract then and the more ambitious clubs having a free shot at him. If he has another good year we'd be competing with the NRL as well as Leeds/Wigan/Warrington so the chances of us getting Murphy in 12 months are slim to none.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    I don't get why people are so against trying to sign someone? We gain absolutely nothing from doing that. Hopoate is a busted flush, you don't need to be a medical expert to see that. He can't run, let alone sustain fitness throughout a professional season any more. That would leave us with Davies in the centres. Whilst it'd be 'fine', if our attitude as a club is to just do the bare minimum to get through all the time as everyone suggests, we'll end up migrating south down the table eventually.

If Murphy is really a no-go (Which seems mighty unrealistic given the financial position Wakefield are in and the amount of key players they need to sign for next season) then we move one of the overseas players on and we get someone in. We don't need to give someone a five year deal, we could easily sign someone on a 1 year deal. But as mentioned that exposes us to Murphy being off contract then and the more ambitious clubs having a free shot at him. If he has another good year we'd be competing with the NRL as well as Leeds/Wigan/Warrington so the chances of us getting Murphy in 12 months are slim to none.
    I think the squad is thin on quality backs cover, a problem given a couple of the senior players in the squad have struggled to maintain fitness. As there are limited viable, quality wing replacements for Grace, I'd be inclined to agree and make a play for Murphy. Saints have done it before so if they want to I'd suggest they will. It may come down to how highly rated he is by the club vis-a-vis the wage demands by his agent, important given the club is probably at higher end of the SC.

In The West Stand

I don't think anyone is against us signing someone, its just about not being held hostage and paying overs (either in fees or salary). If Wakefield refuse to budge from a swap deal for Welsby, then we are going to be forced to walk away from the table (until next year, and I would still fancy our chances), Yeah going to the NRL would be the next logical step, but we have been burnt all too many times over there (Hopoate and JThompson recently, but theres a long history back to the Perry days). So all people are cautioning is that when we make a move, its the right move for the club, not out of some sort of sense that they have to sign someone.

Welsby
    Makinson Hurrell Percival Murphy
    Lomax Dodd

Ashall-Bott
    Hill Hopoate Davies Bennison
    Archer Roberts

Is significantly more depth and quality than we had to start this year!

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    I don't think anyone is against us signing someone, its just about not being held hostage and paying overs (either in fees or salary). If Wakefield refuse to budge from a swap deal for Welsby, then we are going to be forced to walk away from the table (until next year, and I would still fancy our chances), Yeah going to the NRL would be the next logical step, but we have been burnt all too many times over there (Hopoate and JThompson recently, but theres a long history back to the Perry days). So all people are cautioning is that when we make a move, its the right move for the club, not out of some sort of sense that they have to sign someone.

Welsby
    Makinson Hurrell Percival Murphy
    Lomax Dodd

Ashall-Bott
    Hill Hopoate Davies Bennison
    Archer Roberts

Is significantly more depth and quality than we had to start this year!
    were getting rid of Welsby now !!!!!
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moore View Post
    were getting rid of Welsby now !!!!!
    what? The point was if Wakefield refused to accept a reasonable offer and, for example, wanted Welsby in return for Murphy, theres not a lot we could do...

At no point am I suggesting Welsby is leaving ...

In The South Stand The.Reverand's Avatar

1. Welsby

2 Percival
    3. Hopoate
    4. Hurrell
    5. Makinson

6 Lomax
    7. Dodd

I don’t think anyone doubts Percy’s pace. If there’s a first aid tent in the vicinity, there’s no doubt he would be first there.

In The South Stand The.Reverand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    what? The point was if Wakefield refused to accept a reasonable offer and, for example, wanted Welsby in return for Murphy, theres not a lot we could do...

At no point am I suggesting Welsby is leaving ...
    Can’t believe your suggesting we swap Welsby. Bigger disgrace than me saying we were poor Saturday.

Got A Season Ticket
    In the kitchen, trying to remember why I came here.

Not sure that everyone is suggesting it, but there does seem a risk of us slipping into the same spiral that led us via Potter and Sims (only briefly and partially interrupted by Brown) to having Dawson on the wing under KC.

For a long time our excellent scouting and development has avoided the need to go into the market, but with Grace gone, the long-term fitness of Percy and Hopoate unclear, Hurrell near his sell-by date, Makinson not getting any younger and no ready made replacement ready to step up we may have no choice of we want to keep our 3/4s competitive.

Matty Russell could be a short term fix, he is on a “superleague only” contract and has one of the highest tackle busts in superleague with 100, only Olpherts is better in that position.

Got A Season Ticket

Matty Russell could be a short term fix, he is on a “superleague only” contract and has one of the highest tackle busts in superleague with 100, only Olpherts is better in that position.
    Come on were the best team in the league. We can do better than Matty Russell

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Saint View Post
    Bring Adam Swift back he would do us a job

In The South Stand

Either:

1. Get Lewis Murphy signed paying a fee; or
    2. Persuade Regan and his new club that it would be best if he stayed with us. He isn’t going to be much use to them under his one year contract.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Maybe, but you can only get players that are available.
    From a squad point of view we are short in the backs, we have been hit badly with injuries this year but they are part of the sport and we need players to cover.
    With a good centre inside him someoe like Russel could do a job on a relatively low contract.
    From reports elsewhere the Toulouse full back , Ashall Bott seems a useful player, maybe a handy utility player and cover a few of positions, but not seen a lot of him personally.

Matty Russell has always carried the ball well, but there must be some good reasons why he has always scudded along the bottom of super league with whatever club gets promoted.

Got A Season Ticket

I think most would have said the same about Chris Smith, but he did a job for us for a couple of years until we found longer term/higher quality replacements for Hunte and Sullivan. Sometimes you have to go for the best that's available.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    Either:

1. Get Lewis Murphy signed paying a fee; or
    2. Persuade Regan and his new club that it would be best if he stayed with us. He isn’t going to be much use to them under his one year contract.
    Yeah give Regan a new contract with a snapped Achilles. You do realise his out for over 6 months, it could possibly be 9.

No thank you! Move on

In The South Stand

Yeah give Regan a new contract with a snapped Achilles. You do realise his out for over 6 months, it could possibly be 9.

No thank you! Move on
    I do realise, that’s why I mentioned his one year contract, which will be virtually wiped out. We’ve all also seen what’s happened to Dodd’s season but I’m thinking in the longer term.

At this time I’d like us to go for Lewis Murphy because he seems to be the best prospect around and has youth on his side.

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Matty Russell has always carried the ball well, but there must be some good reasons why he has always scudded along the bottom of super league with whatever club gets promoted.
    I think there has always been a few errors in him very similar to what we see in Hurrell at times. We have sort of improved Hurrell's reading of the game and his defence and handling has improved with the Saints coaching, my feeling we could coach that improvement in a Russel type of player we could also include Swift in that regard as well.

This would only be short term though until a much better class of winger comes along, as already mentioned Chris Smith did a job for us until we got that better class of winger later. I just get the feeling Lewis Murphy would cost us an arm and a leg and could disrupt the togetherness in the team.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    I do realise, that’s why I mentioned his one year contract, which will be virtually wiped out. We’ve all also seen what’s happened to Dodd’s season but I’m thinking in the longer term.

At this time I’d like us to go for Lewis Murphy because he seems to be the best prospect around and has youth on his side.
    All that is likely to mean is that we contribute cap space and cash to pay for his recovery and then he eithe a) isn't the same player and stays or b) is the same player and leaves anyway.

It's a sahme we don't have any outside backs that are generating a buzz in the Academy at the moment - before Grace came through there was a big buzz around both him and Calvin Wellington, we seem more blessed in the pack and halves at every level currently.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post
    All that is likely to mean is that we contribute cap space and cash to pay for his recovery and then he eithe a) isn't the same player and stays or b) is the same player and leaves anyway.

It's a sahme we don't have any outside backs that are generating a buzz in the Academy at the moment - before Grace came through there was a big buzz around both him and Calvin Wellington, we seem more blessed in the pack and halves at every level currently.
    i agree that we shouldn't try to get him to stay. we need to recruit externally for a winger and a utility back. I hope we move Hopoate on as well

In The South Stand

I think there has always been a few errors in him very similar to what we see in Hurrell at times. We have sort of improved Hurrell's reading of the game and his defence and handling has improved with the Saints coaching, my feeling we could coach that improvement in a Russel type of player we could also include Swift in that regard as well.

This would only be short term though until a much better class of winger comes along, as already mentioned Chris Smith did a job for us until we got that better class of winger later. I just get the feeling Lewis Murphy would cost us an arm and a leg and could disrupt the togetherness in the team.
    Chris Smith had the likes of Paul Newlove and Kevin Iro next to him didn't he? I don't think we can drop too far in terms of quality as they'll likely be playing next to Ben Davies for most of the season if Hopoate stays and Percy doesn't have any better luck, which would then leave us exposed on one side.

I might try to kidnapp Dom Young and convince him that Australia is horrible.

Got A Season Ticket

Chris Smith had the likes of Paul Newlove and Kevin Iro next to him didn't he? I don't think we can drop too far in terms of quality as they'll likely be playing next to Ben Davies for most of the season if Hopoate stays and Percy doesn't have any better luck, which would then leave us exposed on one side.

I might try to kidnapp Dom Young and convince him that Australia is horrible.
    That is true, but we don't know that Hopoate and Percy will be perma-injured next year, but we do know that Grace will be gone (I agree we shouldn't be trying to persuade him to stay). So plugging the gap we have should, I think, be the priority before we wonder what we might do if other imponderables transpire.

(None of which is to say that I don't think that we need a capable back-up centre too - although I think it is too early to write off Davies)