Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Lewis Murphy

Got A Season Ticket

Looking at our financial losses over the last 3 years it's no wonder transfer fees are hardly paid anymore.

I thought Wigan was struggling then I checked ours!! It's grim reading considering we was making profit in 2017

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Saint View Post
    Looking at our financial losses over the last 3 years it's no wonder transfer fees are hardly paid anymore.

I thought Wigan was struggling then I checked ours!! It's grim reading considering we was making profit in 2017
    Not sure what you expected to see from the accounts of a sports club during pandemic impacted seasons! We lost £1.5m cumulatively at EBITDA level across the two Covid hit financial years to October 2020 and October 2021. Don't think Wigan's 2021 results have been published yet but think they lost about £450k in year to Nov 2020 without an empty stadium to deal with (Saints was £720k).

Wigan's losses in recent years (although not 2020 I don't think) have been mitigated a bit by flogging players too which we haven't really resorted to. Will be interesting to see their 2021 numbers, should be out in the next couple of weeks.

The real sign of how clubs are doing will be the 2022 results. Hopefuly all clubs (including Wigan - we need them) will be showing a more stable footing post-pandemic. I know Wigan, like us, have a lot of cash across Directors/Shareholders which is great.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post
    Not sure what you expected to see from the accounts of a sports club during pandemic impacted seasons! We lost £1.5m cumulatively at EBITDA level across the two Covid hit financial years to October 2020 and October 2021. Don't think Wigan's 2021 results have been published yet but think they lost about £450k in year to Nov 2020 without an empty stadium to deal with (Saints was £720k).

Wigan's losses in recent years (although not 2020 I don't think) have been mitigated a bit by flogging players too which we haven't really resorted to. Will be interesting to see their 2021 numbers, should be out in the next couple of weeks.

The real sign of how clubs are doing will be the 2022 results. Hopefuly all clubs (including Wigan - we need them) will be showing a more stable footing post-pandemic. I know Wigan, like us, have a lot of cash across Directors/Shareholders which is great.
    Interesting to read somewhere in the 2021 accounts that approx £5.5 Million receipts from rugby related income and £1.5 Million from match day and hospitality sales, keep buying the beer and pies seems to be the message and all over 50s get your jab at Saints if it is used again as that is included in hospitality income, I never used to buy a programme but I'm not impressed with the E programme, presumably the paper programme didn't generate income,, this isn't much to do with Lewis Murphy is it? but not worth generating a new topic

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

It wouldn't suprise me if the accounts next year from the year 2022 will be a lot healthier. The covid years hit all the income streams from hospitality, ticket sales and merchandise etc. When I visited the ticket office at the beginning of the year they did mention that the club did a lot of refunds from the cancelled attended games in 2021.

We always seem to be knocked back with extra expenditure over the last 9 or 10 years, the current funding from the RFL/SKY salary cap very poor now and should ba around £5 million, even that amount won't catch up with other sports.

Learning All The Songs

The finances from this season have been healthy. We've had an upturn in attendances, gameday sales have been good and the corporate sponsorship and hospitality have been strong.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post

I never had a clue there was that much money lost.

Shows what a credit Eamonn is to the town. But I can see if saints are reluctant to pay a fee for Murphy.

In The South Stand

But I can see if saints are reluctant to pay a fee for Murphy.
    I know what you mean but any fee from any club for Murphy ain't coming from trading profits from the last couple of years . . . .

Learning All The Songs The Chief's Avatar

Wakey won’t let him go for anything. A year left on his contract, unless they have a change of heart we either look elsewhere or wait

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

Depends what is offered in exchange. Wakefield are losing quite a few players this year.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Chief View Post
    Wakey won’t let him go for anything. A year left on his contract, unless they have a change of heart we either look elsewhere or wait
    Are contracts worth as much as they once were, esp. ones with 12 months or less remaining...?

Learning All The Songs

They're absolutely skint and have a lot of players off contract. I think there's a bargain to be made.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BackrowSaint View Post
    They're absolutely skint and have a lot of players off contract. I think there's a bargain to be made.
    Key question is can we afford any sort of transfer fee after the last few years? That league leaders shield bonus may be needed elsewhere. We presumably have players that Wakefield would want in their squad so is there any one or two players that could be used in a swap deal and can we convince them to leave Saints for Wakey?
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs Two Wheeled Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Key question is can we afford any sort of transfer fee after the last few years? That league leaders shield bonus may be needed elsewhere. We presumably have players that Wakefield would want in their squad so is there any one or two players that could be used in a swap deal and can we convince them to leave Saints for Wakey?
    Can't be Bell, he is playing out of his skin at the moment.

Learning All The Songs

Hopoate, Bell, Davies or Royle possibly.

Learning All The Songs

We've gone a long way this year to covering debts, whether Eamonn is happy to spend without a full recoup or not only he will know.

One thing is for sure, the reason we've done so well commercially this year is because of the success we've had. A fee to acquire talented players is a sound investment to continue that on field and in turn commercial success.

Our entire attacking structure in goal line attack is set up to create space for the wingers to finish, a player with Murphy's ability in that area could be really prolific for us on the end of Welsby/Lomax miss balls.

In The South Stand

And there is the big issue about people saying we should move players on or swap them for another player. The only big lure would be a lot more money and Wakefield simply don't have it. No contracted player we have will leave the facilities,player culture and squad togetherness we have to go there unless there is a huge financial gain.

Learning All The Songs Two Wheeled Saint's Avatar

Can we not just send a team of brickies over, they will be happy with that won't they ;-)

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    And there is the big issue about people saying we should move players on or swap them for another player. The only big lure would be a lot more money and Wakefield simply don't have it. No contracted player we have will leave the facilities,player culture and squad togetherness we have to go there unless there is a huge financial gain.
    a 3 year contract at Wakefield when you have a year remaining on your Saints contract and they have told you they wont renew may be more appealing then you give it credit for.

In The South Stand

If we did want Murphy, and there's no guarantees that we do, we could easily make it happen. It's just about how much we want to.

Learning All The Songs The Chief's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    If we did want Murphy, and there's no guarantees that we do, we could easily make it happen. It's just about how much we want to.
    We do, and they don’t want to sell at any cost. That said, there is always a price, but it’s whether Saints want to pay big money.

In The South Stand

We do, and they don’t want to sell at any cost. That said, there is always a price, but it’s whether Saints want to pay big money.
    If it’s too big a price it’s too big a price and we look elsewhere.

I trust the club to find a suitable replacement for Grace, Murphy or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The West Stand

Get in his head, run with Hopoate on the wing for a year, sign him on a free for 2024.

In The South Stand

They can name their price all they like,they need to sell him and get some cash for him or face him going for nothing at the end of next season. They will have to be realistic about any fee

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Get in his head, run with Hopoate on the wing for a year, sign him on a free for 2024.
    Then everyone will want him and it becomes a bidding war. Salary cap says we should act now.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Hopoate

On the wing

Bin him off, play a random child. They'd be more reliable.

(But seriously, get Murphy signed. Get him to agitate for a move, have a paddy, put a transfer request in etc) Failing that, sign someone on a one year contract. There are always available players, even if it's a player with potential in the academy system or Championship.