Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Will Roberts

Got A Season Ticket

Default Will Roberts

Cant understand why he isent in our 17 this week. Fabulous talent and great goal kicker. Hat trick last week in th eacdemy game vs Hull.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Saint View Post
    Cant understand why he isent in our 17 this week. Fabulous talent and great goal kicker. Hat trick last week in th eacdemy game vs Hull.
    Have you seen the size of some of them Hull forwards !!!!!

I think the days of youngster breaking into the first teams at 16 or 17 are long gone.

Since the game has gone fully pro with Super League the the physique of players has increased. This is the problem that young Hill had last week, he had no chance of stopping his opposite number near the line.

Don't get me wrong as a fan its great watching young stars breaking into the team but it's a big risk

In The South Stand

What position does he play?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    Have you seen the size of some of them Hull forwards !!!!!

I think the days of youngster breaking into the first teams at 16 or 17 are long gone.

Since the game has gone fully pro with Super League the the physique of players has increased. This is the problem that young Hill had last week, he had no chance of stopping his opposite number near the line.

Don't get me wrong as a fan its great watching young stars breaking into the team but it's a big risk
    They're not gone, it just depends on the individual.

Saints do seem to bring through some very small, skinny players. Dan Hill and Jon Bennison are both 20 soon and are still light years away from being ready for Super League. It does make you wonder if there is enough focus on nutrition and gym work at a young age. When you watch the NRL, their players tend to be a stone or three heavier, although they tend to break through a bit later, maybe from 20 onwards rather than 18 in many cases in SL.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    What position does he play?
    No 7 I think.
    Sorry for being a bit vague! I was talking to someone in Toulouse (his father is involved with the club), who was singing the praises of a young HB who could be pushing Dodd for a place in a few years time. I think it was Will Roberts, but it could be just the beer remembering that bit!

In The South Stand

Played scholarship in 2021 and has only played nine games at Academy level. Absolutely no way we’ll chuck him in at first team level yet.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Learning All The Songs

He's a very talented player but it would crucify his career chucking him in now.

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Saints do seem to bring through some very small, skinny players. Dan Hill and Jon Bennison are both 20 soon and are still light years away from being ready for Super League. It does make you wonder if there is enough focus on nutrition and gym work at a young age. When you watch the NRL, their players tend to be a stone or three heavier, although they tend to break through a bit later, maybe from 20 onwards rather than 18 in many cases in SL.
    Bennison "light years away from SL??"

I could have sworn I've seen him playing very well this year already........
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

Learning All The Songs

It would be great if you could spell these players. They will mature but injury could skittle them and ruin their careers.

Got A Season Ticket

Of course there's focus on nutrition and gym work but too much at an early age causes issues later.

I think Saints are more interested in the core skills of the young lads rather than how much they can bench press. They will fill out eventually as they mature, but core skills are far more important and Bennison looks like he's got those in abundance.

Learning All The Songs

Dan Hill and Jon Bennison are both 20 soon and are still light years away from being ready for Super League.
    I don't know what player your watching but Bennison has shown this year he's more than ready to be playing regularly in SL

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    I don't know what player your watching but Bennison has shown this year he's more than ready to be playing regularly in SL
    Not for a team that wants to win things. He's okay, but he's not worthy of a starting shirt for us or most other SL clubs.

In The South Stand

Not for a team that wants to win things. He's okay, but he's not worthy of a starting shirt for us or most other SL clubs.
    All things being equal he wouldn't be a starter,he's a backup player and one for the future. What do you expect from him ? He's been thrown in due to injuries, he's done a good job, he's let nobody down. But here you are again bringing young players down.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    All things being equal he wouldn't be a starter,he's a backup player and one for the future. What do you expect from him ? He's been thrown in due to injuries, he's done a good job, he's let nobody down. But here you are again bringing young players down.
    For me he is an definite future SL regular. And as you say hasn’t done a bad job up to now.
    Particularly when at FB.
    Last edited by Belgian Saint; 12th August 2022 at 19:38. Reason: Part deleted

Learning All The Songs

He looks good at FB overall. Decent under the highball and fearless with it.

Starting A Programme Collection Saintsaregods's Avatar

I think Bennison has acquitted himself well, he plays with confidence and heart. Not the finished article yet by any means, he’s made mistakes as any young player does, but I remember being underwhelmed by Welsby’s first season. Hope Bennison kicks on in the same manner.

If they tend to come through a couple years later, they'll tend to be a couple of stone heavier won't they?

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Sainthood View Post
    If they tend to come through a couple years later, they'll tend to be a couple of stone heavier won't they?
    Don’t let logic get in the way of a good rant

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    Bennison should be a backup until he bulks up . He will take a hammering otherwise.

Learning All The Songs

Given a choice between Bennison and sick note Hopoate I know which I’d take. An academy kid willing to put his absolute body on the line and play through serious injury for the team, or an overpaid quota player who limps off after half a game followed by a month out, repeat !!!

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Given a choice between Bennison and sick note Hopoate I know which I’d take. An academy kid willing to put his absolute body on the line and play through serious injury for the team, or an overpaid quota player who limps off after half a game followed by a month out, repeat !!!
    Nonsense, he's just had bad luck with injuries this year. You just have to look at the last game he played and him putting his body on the line to see his commitment for the club is there. If Hopoate didn't play at Magic, we wouldn't have won. If Hopoate is fit he is a guaranteed starter.

Learning All The Songs

In round 1 he played most of the game with broken ribs, against Salford at home he played 70 minutes with a torn hamstring.

If you don't like the guy that's your prerogative but don't fabricate complete bullshit to suit your agenda against him.

Putting his body on the line is how Will picked up his injury. Sickness? What's your take on Percy?

Cannot agree , as big as his heart is Bennison needs to bulk up . When he is fit Hopoate starts .