Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 1st report of Wolf Staying another year

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Yes that was on the local radio around Brisbane about 10 days ago, thought he would have gone by now. On the local TV he was nothing like the Holbrook Saints Version, very down and out and devoid of ideas to pull his team out of the hole. A short term period working with Wello could work but his confidence is shot.
    They play Canterbury tomorrow. Lose that and he's gone.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Weetabix View Post
    They play Canterbury tomorrow. Lose that and he's gone.
    I think he’s only lasted this long because he came in on Meningas recommendation.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    Stories in Australian Press that Holbrook faces imminent sack, I reckon a dream scenario would be for a return on a short term basis with a view to assist bedding Wellens in as head coach, he was such a popular coach with the players who are still at the club, that it would be a seamless transition, I know the old cliche about never go back but in this case I think it would work, there is a now a queue of several sacked coaches in the NRL who will be ahead of Holbrook for jobs, he might just be tempted
    I think this would be a bad mood. NRL clubs have worked out Titans tactical plans this season and there hasn't been a counter response. Lack of concentration and poor defence options at times have been worrying to see at Titans. We should move on - the " attacking defence ' against Huddersfield is what we need to be building on and the winning mentality culture we now have regardless of circumstances/ bad luck / injures etc ...2 crucial games we were found wanting in major Semis were v Catalans and Castleford and we struggled to get past Halifax in another Semi.

Justin was great for us at the time but not now IMO even if he becomes available.

Learning All The Songs

Having thought about it.. I agree Holbrook back isn't a good move.
    Best case scenario is Kw for one more year and start searching for a replacement and then wello to take charge after.. not that I don't have faith in Wellens I just want him to stay as long as possible
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS
    Insta @christianjamescreative

In The South Stand

If Wellens is getting the job, Holbrook back is a poor move. He’s worked under Holbrook, he doesn’t need another year under him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post
    If Wellens is getting the job, Holbrook back is a poor move. He’s worked under Holbrook, he doesn’t need another year under him.

Not another year under him, but a flexible consultancy style role might be mutually beneficial. It allows someone for Wellens to talk through challenges and bounce ideas off, without over imposing and undermining Wellens credentials as the boss?

If Wellens were coach I would want an experienced assistant with him and I’m not sure who that is at the moment

Cool

I don't think there'd be too much risk involved in giving Holbrook 2 years. I'd rather that than take what would be a gamble on Wellens who for me would be better gaining Head Coach experience elsewhere first.

I don't think you can look too much into his Gold Coast tenure this year. Last year they made massive strides but its only like a Wakefield or a Salford having a good season. A minnow club is always susceptible to nose diving down the table

If Wellens wants it , he has earned his spurs and should just be left to take the job without a nanny.

Don;t really see what 1 more year of Woolf provides Wellens with in terms of readiness either.

If Wellens doesn't want it then go to market for a coach.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    If Wellens wants it , he has earned his spurs and should just be left to take the job without a nanny.

Don;t really see what 1 more year of Woolf provides Wellens with in terms of readiness either.

If Wellens doesn't want it then go to market for a coach.
    Agreed - one of the continuous factors of our recent success is Wello in the coaching staff.

He’s earned it and I have no doubts about his temperament.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    I don't think there'd be too much risk involved in giving Holbrook 2 years. I'd rather that than take what would be a gamble on Wellens who for me would be better gaining Head Coach experience elsewhere first.

I don't think you can look too much into his Gold Coast tenure this year. Last year they made massive strides but its only like a Wakefield or a Salford having a good season. A minnow club is always susceptible to nose diving down the table
    Look at how the team has improved since Holbrook. I would sooner have Wellens with his experience under KW than JH.
    I wouldn't be adverse to JH having some type of consultancy/mentor role, as long as it was made clear the Wellens was boss.
    Who will be Wellens's assistant is a big decision.

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

To bring back Holbrook now would be a step backwards. Yes, when he came to Saints he won both the players and the fans over. Coached an entertaining style of rugby and had a modicum of success. When it came to close, really big games though I don't think there was the confidence and belief there is now. When Woolf came along he worked on defence at the expense of mostly all else. It wasn't popular but the results were good if the rugby wasn't pleasing to the eye. Once the defence was sorted he turned the team into a functioning unit, everyone having confidence in their fellow players. Once that was in place he worked on the attack. Titles followed and when it came to crunch games there was a greater degree of confidence. He now has a team playing as all other coaches in the league envy. Bringing Holbrook back after the nightmare he has had in Oz would be a retrograde step for me. Wellens has seen how Holbrook turned the team round from the Cunningham days, he has also seen how Woolf has developed it to another level. If he wants it for me he is the only option.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Look at how the team has improved since Holbrook. I would sooner have Wellens with his experience under KW than JH.
    I wouldn't be adverse to JH having some type of consultancy/mentor role, as long as it was made clear the Wellens was boss.
    Who will be Wellens's assistant is a big decision.
    It took a few months for the improvenment to surface, many posters on here wanted Woolf gone and wanted a "Holbrook mk11" style of coach, at that time McManus made a club statement about Woolf inheriting a busted squad and gave an interview 6 months later. If McManus already knows that Woolf is leaving I don't see why Woolf and Wello could more closely together in a transition capacity.

Wello has a nickname for Woolf and calls him the "Rain Man" mentioning he knows every little detail on matches as far back as last year and that is part of his approach to coaching, Wello will be learning from that and I suspect Wello has learnt more from Woolf than Holbrook or Bennett. I don't think Wello would make any significant like go into attack mode, he's seen 3 seasons of defence wins games and silverware and will maintain that Woolf legacy.

In The South Stand

Whoever takes the job should be boss there is only one bos whatever the job.

Learning All The Songs

It took a few months for the improvenment to surface, many posters on here wanted Woolf gone and wanted a "Holbrook mk11" style of coach, at that time McManus made a club statement about Woolf inheriting a busted squad and gave an interview 6 months later. If McManus already knows that Woolf is leaving I don't see why Woolf and Wello could more closely together in a transition capacity.

Wello has a nickname for Woolf and calls him the "Rain Man" mentioning he knows every little detail on matches as far back as last year and that is part of his approach to coaching, Wello will be learning from that and I suspect Wello has learnt more from Woolf than Holbrook or Bennett. I don't think Wello would make any significant like go into attack mode, he's seen 3 seasons of defence wins games and silverware and will maintain that Woolf legacy.
    I have to say I was one of the doubters. I would not say i was calling for KW's head but i found us difficult to watch and was not enjoying the games. I hold my hand up now and admit how wrong i was. The team is a joy to watch at the moment and very effective. It kind of feels like if the team play at 70% we will win every game. The games we have lost (Wigan in particular) were down to a few suicidal errors.

Learning All The Songs

I was one of them just before Covid struck we were awful. The away game at Cas were we got snotted was the final straw for me he had to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll gladly eat my words..............Now we don't want him to go .

Got A Season Ticket

There's a few on here with short memories. The club was a shambles when JH took over both on and off the field. He removed the deadwood, repaired the relationship with the fans and got us playing good rugby and won a few trophies.

Woolf has built on JH foundations and lets be honest, he's had a bit of luck along the way. The covid break allowed him to get the busted players sorted, gave him time to implement his style and lets not forget the bounce of the ball against the crusts. That first season could have gone the other way.

Woolf is a brilliant coach but forgetting how good JH was for us, is bizarre.

Personally I don't want Wellens to take over, we've been there before and it didn't end well. I'd hate for another club legend to take the club to the depths that KC did.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by fizzy rascal View Post
    There's a few on here with short memories. The club was a shambles when JH took over both on and off the field. He removed the deadwood, repaired the relationship with the fans and got us playing good rugby and won a few trophies.

Woolf has built on JH foundations and lets be honest, he's had a bit of luck along the way. The covid break allowed him to get the busted players sorted, gave him time to implement his style and lets not forget the bounce of the ball against the crusts. That first season could have gone the other way.

Woolf is a brilliant coach but forgetting how good JH was for us, is bizarre.

Personally I don't want Wellens to take over, we've been there before and it didn't end well. I'd hate for another club legend to take the club to the depths that KC did.
    Nobody is forgetting how good JH was, just rightly pointing out that the problems he so expertly solved are not the issues any new coach will now be faced with. Right man right time, no guarantee of him being the right man again.

I would rather see Wello take over than Holbrook to be honest.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Nobody is forgetting how good JH was, just rightly pointing out that the problems he so expertly solved are not the issues any new coach will now be faced with. Right man right time, no guarantee of him being the right man again.

I always thought their were similar coaching styles with Millward + Holbrook similar with Anderson + Woolf by way of attacking and defending coaches. I always thought McCrae was a good fit and just as good on the back of Eric Hughes good work.

Learning All The Songs

Thinking about it Holbrook would be a good fit a Wire with their club culture problems

Starting A Programme Collection

Wellens as far as I can see. At this point in the season a decision on who takes over must have been made otherwise all our reps would be in Aus looking to sign a 1st grade coach. Hetherington had to sign a 3rd grade coach, so it's not that simple. Paul has had a good apprenticeship both at club coach level and international level so I think he deserves it. Contractually though the club should not be giving him 3 years like KC in case, as some predict, it does not work out.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I think you are spot on.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    Thinking about it Holbrook would be a good fit a Wire with their club culture problems
    Hard to tell. I was surprised he took the GC job because its been a bit of a cultural mess of a club so the indicators would be bad as JH has struggled after a good start, but then its GC and everyone’s career goes there to die...