Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Who ?

Default Who ?

Just trying to think here as my memory is shocking…. I’ve been watching saints since 1984 as a teenager….I am just trying to remember before Eamonn took over as chairman, who was the guy before him I’m sure his first name was Peter but cant remember his last name it may have began with H, he was quite tall, I’m thinking it would have been early - mid 90s.?
    Or am I completely way off ?
    LET THE GAME BEGIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Jigsaw View Post
    Just trying to think here as my memory is shocking…. I’ve been watching saints since 1984 as a teenager….I am just trying to remember before Eamonn took over as chairman, who was the guy before him I’m sure his first name was Peter but cant remember his last name it may have began with H, he was quite tall, I’m thinking it would have been early - mid 90s.?
    Eric Latham, boss of Kerrs minerals (pop) was the last Chairman before McManus took over, the likes of Eric Bromilow, and other businessmen, St Helens Glass, Bill Jelley etc., were on the board then prior to that Joe Pickavance, and of course Harry Cook was the longest serving chairman. I stand to be corrected if there was someone between Mr Latham and the current regime

Quote Originally Posted by Jigsaw View Post
    I've a feeling you may be thinking of David Howes, although he was a Chief Exec rather than chairman.

Chairmen before McManus that I can remember include Mal Kay and Howard somebody ... my memory is going too.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I've a feeling you may be thinking of David Howes, although he was a Chief Exec rather than chairman.

Chairmen before McManus that I can remember include Mal Kay and Howard somebody ... my memory is going too.
    Howard Morris ?

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post

Howard Morris - Solicitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Weetabix View Post
    Howard Morris - Solicitor.
    Yeah, that's the fella.

Got A Season Ticket

Don't forget Tom Ellard

David Howes …. That’s the guy….. sorry for the confusion …. Like I say my memory is bad must be my age ….
    LET THE GAME BEGIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    Eric Latham, boss of Kerrs minerals (pop) was the last Chairman before McManus took over, the likes of Eric Bromilow, and other businessmen, St Helens Glass, Bill Jelley etc., were on the board then prior to that Joe Pickavance, and of course Harry Cook was the longest serving chairman. I stand to be corrected if there was someone between Mr Latham and the current regime

I was with Bill when he took a phone call from the Nat West Bank to ask if he could act as Guarantor for the fee for Paul Newlove

I don't know if they just phoned him or a few of the directors.

Must be 25 to 30yrs ago doesn't time fly when your having fun

Learning All The Songs

Looking back at some of the names mentioned as directors and chairmen from the the pre McManus era they were good local businessmen and did their best for the club but I don't think any of them could have got us where we are now.

I've never met McManus but he's done wonders for this club, that older generation of directors wouldn't have have had the vision and imagination to get the new ground up and running.

That's not meant to be a criticism for the older ones, they were/are good blokes but the club and the team are a completely different level these days.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

harry Cook and Joe Pick. That's going back a while

Got A Season Ticket

Joe Picavance...who in 1988 famously twanged his braces in front of Jonathan Davies and said...quote " Right lad let's talk Turkey ". Wonder why he didn't sign for us????

Quote Originally Posted by Thommo View Post
    Joe Picavance...who in 1988 famously twanged his braces in front of Jonathan Davies and said...quote " Right lad let's talk Turkey ". Wonder why he didn't sign for us????
    According to Davies himself at a Sportsmans night years ago at St Mary's Billinge, he was all set to sign for Saints, had agreed terms etc.with the directors but they wanted to make sure that the coach ( Murphy) was happy with it, Murph was on holiday in the South of France and wouldn't make an immediate decision until he had returned from holiday, Widnes then nipped in and signed him from under our noses. This might just be a story from Davies but the way he told it, it certainly sounded true, of course we later went on to sign Michael O Connor from Australia , supposedly the world's best player, who failed to live up to the title to put it mildly

In The South Stand

According to Davies himself at a Sportsmans night years ago at St Mary's Billinge, he was all set to sign for Saints, had agreed terms etc.with the directors but they wanted to make sure that the coach ( Murphy) was happy with it, Murph was on holiday in the South of France and wouldn't make an immediate decision until he had returned from holiday, Widnes then nipped in and signed him from under our noses. This might just be a story from Davies but the way he told it, it certainly sounded true, of course we later went on to sign Michael O Connor from Australia , supposedly the world's best player, who failed to live up to the title to put it mildly
    Fascinating how these things go in sport. If we'd signed Davies it's possible our history could have been completely different. With a signing of that quality it's entirely possible our success would have begun earlier than it did, but how long would it have lasted with the financial stability the club had in those days and would we have ended up where Wigan are now in terms of amassing trophies or where Widnes/Bradford are now?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

We also flew the worlds best centre back for the final. What a disaster that was.

Learning All The Songs

While we're doing snippets of info

A few years ago a director of Saints accidently bumped into a director from Widnes in a bar in Tenerife, the Saints director was bemoaning the off field problems they were having with Bobby Goulding, the Widnes director commented that they had recently signed a lad from Wigan who was a decent scrum half and maybe a deent replacement.......

......... Sean Long

That was from Frank Myler at a sportsmans evening at Widnes, he mentioned the name of the directors but it didn't sink in at the time. I can only assume its true , it does seem to fit with what goes on in our game many a deal done over a brandy and some cigars

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Fascinating how these things go in sport. If we'd signed Davies it's possible our history could have been completely different. With a signing of that quality it's entirely possible our success would have begun earlier than it did, but how long would it have lasted with the financial stability the club had in those days and would we have ended up where Wigan are now in terms of amassing trophies or where Widnes/Bradford are now?
    Davies was a top player but he was allowed time to settle into the Widnes team, which was a stronger team than us at that time with a lot of leaders. I'm sure he played a fair few A team games before going into the first team.
    I suspect, with Murphy in charge, he would have just been chucked in at the deep end and expected to carry the team and be a superstar from the word go.
    Then again, Davies' class might have shone through and, like you say, he could have been the spark we needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    harry Cook and Joe Pick. That's going back a while
    Harry was my old school Headmaster at MertonBank Primary decent bloke from what I can remember.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Kakariki View Post
    Davies was a top player but he was allowed time to settle into the Widnes team, which was a stronger team than us at that time with a lot of leaders. I'm sure he played a fair few A team games before going into the first team.
    I suspect, with Murphy in charge, he would have just been chucked in at the deep end and expected to carry the team and be a superstar from the word go.
    Then again, Davies' class might have shone through and, like you say, he could have been the spark we needed.
    Yes he did play a few A team games to get him used to the game.We tended just to throw players in at the deep end,we put Stuart Evans straight in and he didn't even know how to play the ball after a tackle.

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

David Howes was probably too forward thinking for RL at that time. He wanted to make Knowsley Road the hub of the town, he had plans to extend the seated stand and join it up with a new scoreboard end with an Italian restaurant attached to it.
    Making plans and delivering them are different propositions but he was an interesting guy, he got us playing at Anfield a couple of times which I enjoyed.

Learning All The Songs The Chief's Avatar

It was David Howes who brought Paul Newlove to the club, swapping Lockers, Dwyer and Nickle plus cash. The rest is history

Quote Originally Posted by The Chief View Post
    It was David Howes who brought Paul Newlove to the club, swapping Lockers, Dwyer and Nickle plus cash. The rest is history
    Arrived in the back of a Securicor van if memory serves, plus £250.000 and the players mentioned going the other way, all things considered Howes started us on a road to continued success, always being there or thereabouts

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Arrived in the back of a Securicor van if memory serves, plus £250.000 and the players mentioned going the other way, all things considered Howes started us on a road to continued success, always being there or thereabouts
    It’s always crap being the sheep in the school nativity. Imagine being Nickle, Dwyer or Loughlin within this theatre. They probably felt like a used tampon lol. I did love Newlove though. Everytime he got the ball I was on the edge of my seat.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies