Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Regan Grace

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    When have we need a succession plan for wingers? Makinson come into the side of 11 years ago, Swift debuted a year later and then Grace usurped him.
    If you follow that line of argument then the academy shouldn't have bothered with hookers for the past 10+ years (just fill the shirt with random forward), as Roby was in situ.

In The South Stand

They have plans for every position in the academy and we've seen this over the years. But as we all know the step up from academy to first team is steep and not many make it. This is why we need a quality reserves competition that all clubs should be part of.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    If you follow that line of argument then the academy shouldn't have bothered with hookers for the past 10+ years (just fill the shirt with random forward), as Roby was in situ.
    It’s not an argument but neither is “well, we should have a succession plan”. We most likely have had but have moved on players never good enough to bother those in the first team and given chances to those who showed potential (Spedding, Costello, Bailey).
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    It’s not an argument but neither is “well, we should have a succession plan”. We most likely have had but have moved on players never good enough to bother those in the first team and given chances to those who showed potential (Spedding, Costello, Bailey).
    We have run on two wingers for a couple of seasons that too few for me.
    I get you can't have three or more top salaried wingers in the squad.

I think wing as a position needs to be looked at in the reserves/academy as nobody seems to come through in that position.
    In fact none of Spedding, Costello, Bailey were/are wingers. That's the point.

There doesn't seem to be a position that's valued and is usually filled with bits and pieces players just filling in.
    Very different from other positions that consistently deliver first team ready and first team quality players.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    I'd like to see the percentages of how many tries in SL are scored from outside the 40.

Some of us on here are talking like speed as if they have just discovered fire when the game shows no real change in trend from how it was over the last 10 years, particularly. We are'nt in 1996 when Newlove, Sullivan or Hunte were scoring 80 yarders. I do get the point though that the back line is at risk of being too slow.

I'd also throw another suggestion into the mix. Is it worth going with what we have next year on the basis there may be much better alternatives off contract at the end of 2023. May be better to do this than panic buy and end up with a dud on a multi year contract.
    Fair point and you're probably correct, there doesn't seem to be that many alternatives available for 2023.

I'm not sure about stats but I would think Grace would be near the top for scoring long range tries over the last few years (I think he scored 2 in one game against Leeds during lockdown).

I like a genuinely fast player, it adds a different dynamic and ensures opposing teams can't have a broken kick chase or a broken line because of the threat. I want us to be able to score from anywhere on the field.

In The South Stand The.Reverand's Avatar

I would quite like another winger who can come in and do some work when need be to speed things up. Wish him good luck, but Grace probably doesn’t need a shower some matches.

Got A Season Ticket

Default Yes

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I told you this was all from the horses mouth. m the

In The South Stand

What I find odd is that the BBC article says that French RU clubs have no salary cap. How does that work when they’re playing in competitions with clubs that do?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/62049019

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    What I find odd is that the BBC article says that French RU clubs have no salary cap. How does that work when they’re playing in competitions with clubs that do?

The French don't bother with rules

In The South Stand

They have a 10million euro salary cap compared with a £5 million one for UK teams

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I hope Grace wants to go out with a bang, starting with Wigan.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

The European competitions don't have a salary cap. BBC article is wrong about the lack of a salary cap in France but the BBC being inaccurate isn't exactly a shock.

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    They have a 10million euro salary cap compared with a £5 million one for UK teams
    That doesn't come in till 2024, for now it's still 11.3m euros.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    The European competitions don't have a salary cap. BBC article is wrong about the lack of a salary cap in France but the BBC being inaccurate isn't exactly a shock.

That doesn't come in till 2024, for now it's still 11.3m euros.
    Dwarfs our cap,we can't compete in anyway with that. Good luck to him,he can earn far more if his move goes well. Going to be cold on the wing though in union.

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    Dwarfs our cap,we can't compete in anyway with that. Good luck to him,he can earn far more if his move goes well. Going to be cold on the wing though in union.
    Racing 92’s stadium has a roof so he should be warm for home games!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Just been reading the BBC sport article on Grace going over to Union. I get the impression the Welsh Coach May have influenced Grace’s decision by bending the rules a bit so that he can qualify as a Welsh international without the residency rule.
    Wonder if that was the carrot needed for Grace to change codes.

Banned

I don’t see Grace having the physicality to cope with Union. Expect him to come back after the World Cup year. He won’t be a huge miss IMO, good player with moments of brilliance but definitely replaceable if we get the recruitment right.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I get the impression the Welsh Coach May have influenced Grace’s decision by bending the rules a bit so that he can qualify as a Welsh international without the residency rule.
    He hasn't bent the rules, it's always been the case that if the player is uncapped and his "first" contract is abroad, he stills qualifies, but only whilst that initial contract is in place. Once Regan either renews his contract with Racing or moves to a different club, he has to move to Wales to continue his international career

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Just been reading the BBC sport article on Grace going over to Union. I get the impression the Welsh Coach May have influenced Grace’s decision by bending the rules a bit so that he can qualify as a Welsh international without the residency rule.
    He may have influenced the decision but no rules have been bent. As an uncapped player, during Grace’s first contract in union he is eligible for Wales selection whether he plays in Wales, France, Japan or anywhere. If he is then capped he would need to sign for a Welsh club for his next contract to continue to be eligible.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    He may have influenced the decision but no rules have been bent. As an uncapped player, during Grace’s first contract in union he is eligible for Wales selection whether he plays in Wales, France, Japan or anywhere. If he is then capped he would need to sign for a Welsh club for his next contract to continue to be eligible.
    Or stay on the same terms with the club he's at. Apparantly one loophole of the rule is that if you remain on the same contract you are still eligible. So if Regan extends his current Racing contract on the same pay and same length (1 year with an option for a second) he would remain eligible.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
    The French don't bother with rules
    Don't be a dicko.