Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 21 man squad v Leeds

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Default 21 man squad v Leeds

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2022/06/2...double-header/

IN: Josh Simm
    OUT: James Bell

1. Jack Welsby, 2. Tommy Makinson, 3. Will Hopoate, 5. Regan Grace, 6. Jonny Lomax, 8. Alex Walmsley, 9. James Roby, 10. Matty Lees, 12. Joe Batchelor, 13, Morgan Knowles, 14. Joey Lussick, 16. Curtis Sironen, 17. Agnatius Paasi, 19. Jake Wingfield, 21. Josh Simm, 22. Ben Davies, 23. Konrad Hurrell, 24. Dan Norman, 26. Sam Royle, 27. Jon Bennison, 29. Dan Hill.

I think the team pretty much picks itself this week:

Hopoate
    Makinson
    Hurrell
    Davies
    Grace
    Welsby
    Lomax
    Walmsley
    Roby
    Lees
    Batchelor
    Sironen
    Knowles

Lussick
    Wingfield
    Paasi
    Norman

Royle, Simm, Hill and Bennison to miss out.

Simm for Davies is the only realistic possible change to that but I am confident he will stick with Davies.

Really looking forward to this one. Leeds are edging towards full strength now and will undoubtedly improve under Smith. Regardless of how Leeds are doing it always has the feel of a big game anyway. Hopefully a decent crowd on, good weather, etc. As I say, really looking forward to this.

I think we will have too much for them but I can see it being a similar scoreline to the Hull KR game and we won’t have it all our own way.

We have a huge few weeks coming up so it’s more important then ever we get our discipline right and don’t pick up any more daft bans. Percival, Matautia and Bell should hopefully all be back in contention next week and LMS a few weeks later, so there should hopefully be real competition building if we can keep everyone healthy and available.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

I would agree on that team. Pretty straight forward assuming there are no injuries we are unaware of.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Got A Replica Shirt

Totally agree YG.The disciplinary issue is a concern for me.
    I feel we have been hard done too this at times,but there next three week are critical on ourselves making a statement against the 2nd,3rd and fourth teams.
    Posituve results will ensure LLS and a rest as we enter GF territory.
    Let Woolf stresses the importance of sensible heads.

Agree with above team selection. Don’t see Simm getting in over Davies as Simm is being let go at end of season (unless we have an injury)
    I’m not sure Percy will play v Catalans. I just think KW was a little evasive when talking about his return.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Not too concerned about Ben Davies being left centre fairly solid player and has had a run of games so he's use to the team structure and plays now. Same with Dan Norman whilst LMS is out, he is starting to break through on tackles now and his defence is much better.

Just need Sironen to tackle clean as everyone has mentioned discipline is an issue for Thursday and the coming weeks.

Starting A Programme Collection

the Super League season starts now as far as I am concerned. Most of the boys have had a couple of weeks off recently, so should be fired up and ready to hit it hard for the next 4 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo8 View Post
    the Super League season starts now as far as I am concerned. Most of the boys have had a couple of weeks off recently, so should be fired up and ready to hit it hard for the next 4 months.
    I agree , we have been limping through the first half of the season in my view . This will be a tough game , I think Leeds will be on the ball and vastly improved , they will also want to start their season .

Big game and we need to make a statement !

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post

Just need Sironen to tackle clean as everyone has mentioned discipline is an issue for Thursday and the coming weeks.
    Speaking of discipline, is Bentley playing or is he still banned?

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kakariki View Post
    Speaking of discipline, is Bentley playing or is he still banned?

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk
    He’s playing. Leeds are pretty much full strength. Couldn’t see any obvious absentees when I looked at their squad. Tom Briscoe at a push but not sure if he’s injured or just not selected.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    He’s playing. Leeds are pretty much full strength. Couldn’t see any obvious absentees when I looked at their squad. Tom Briscoe at a push but not sure if he’s injured or just not selected.
    Briscoe is currently injured

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Be an argument to say Briscoe doesn’t start ahead of Fusitua and Handley anyway. Jack Walker seems to be the only other missing player and he’s covered by Myler and Hardaker anyway. I’d expect us still to win this one, especially at home, but we’ll have to work hard for it. I’ll go for 26-16 to Saints.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
    I agree , we have been limping through the first half of the season in my view . This will be a tough game , I think Leeds will be on the ball and vastly improved , they will also want to start their season .

Big game and we need to make a statement !
    I think limped is harsh. We were arguably the best we've been under Woolf until the Dodd injury, since then we've been below par but not sure anyone has ever limped 4 points clear at the top.

I agree on this being a tough game and a chance to make a statement, though. A good, solid display and we'll be full of confidence going into the next 3 massive games.

Having watched the KR game back we looked much better in attack first 40, if Hopoate gets his passing right (some wild ones on Sunday) we could be back to being 80% of what we were in attack, which will be better than most.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesSL View Post
    I think limped is harsh. We were arguably the best we've been under Woolf until the Dodd injury, since then we've been below par but not sure anyone has ever limped 4 points clear at the top.

I agree on this being a tough game and a chance to make a statement, though. A good, solid display and we'll be full of confidence going into the next 3 massive games.

Having watched the KR game back we looked much better in attack first 40, if Hopoate gets his passing right (some wild ones on Sunday) we could be back to being 80% of what we were in attack, which will be better than most.

I don't think the attack, particularly close to the oppo line will be anywhere near as fluid without Dodd.

If we are going to win SL this time, our defence will have to be top draw

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    I don't think the attack, particularly close to the oppo line will be anywhere near as fluid without Dodd.

In the games since he got injured it's been really poor I agree. Sunday I just saw some signs watching it back that we got it through the hands much quicker and looked a lot, lot better even if it wasn't hard to do so compared to recent games.

Once Percival is back on the left hopefully it'll start going that way as well and that will only help.

It's never going to be what it was, as you say, but if Hopoate can stay fit and play to a reasonable level I still think it'll be enough alongside the defence which I think will also improve when Percival is back as well and our edges get back playing together.

With a full side I felt like we weren't far off being unbeatable with a full 17 with how we looked in early games. So it's such a shame how it's fell.

At least in the next month we'll get a good insight into how we look against those we'll have to beat in September, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post

I reckon Hopoate will come good in that compartment (attack) has good hands and instinctive close passing game, I,ve seen it in his NRL appearances but not yet in Superleague. He had smart awareness in that Makinson try when Hurrell flipped the ball back from over the touch line.

To be fair our attack has never settled into any shapes with so much disruption Dodd, Lomax, Percival, Hopoate, Grace, Matautia, Bell are all attacking players, our fluency has been on the back burner for a while now.
    Last edited by STIDDY; 22nd June 2022 at 11:14.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I reckon Hopoate will come good in that compartment (attack) has good hands and instinctive close passing game, I,ve seen it in his NRL appearances but not yet in Superleague. He had smart awareness in that Makinson try when Hurrell flipped the ball back from over the touch line.

To be fair our attack has never settled into any shapes with so much disruption Dodd, Lomax, Percival, Hopoate, Grace, Matautia, Bell are all attacking players, our fluency has been on the back burner for a while now.
    I don’t feel like we have really got going , 1st game against cats I thought we always
    Good after that it all feels very scrappy . The 1,6,7,9 role had to be sorted and stable . Now we have that , you can work with interchanges in back line .

I’m more confident now than I was a few weeks ago . We are however treading on egg shells , another injury in the spine and it will be tough to win a big game , semi or final .

Second half of the season now so I hope we can go into it with a fresh look and feel . Wehave had time to adjust and hopefully now focus on what we do best . Big game tonight and it will show us where we are . The next 4 weeks will be tough but a good time to play the challengers given we should be fresh and prepped with our new look spine !

Got A Season Ticket

Seeing people on Twitter saying Hopoate isn’t playing tonight because of an injury, have I missed something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by macca24 View Post
    Seeing people on Twitter saying Hopoate isn’t playing tonight because of an injury, have I missed something?

Doesn't surprise me. He's like Phil Jones at Utd, can get injured without playing games. I thought it was funny as he wasn't on the captain runs pics and Bennison was.

We really should cut our losses on him. He's another Josh Perry, taking up a big chunk of salary cap, free house, car etc, same for his wife and he barely plays.

Getting a bit silly now (if true) - I have just had a look and he has had 4 different periods of absence already - this would be 5. He has played 7 out of a possible 18 games so far and only on 2 occasions has he managed to play consecutive weeks.

I have defended him so far but it's only when he look into it do you realise how bad it has been.

It's so so disruptive in such a key position too. If he is missing again then surely we need a Plan B and we need to act on it fast. Whether that's a loan/short term deal for a new signing or playing someone else at 1 or 7 who can stretch a few games together.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by macca24 View Post

He got injured half way trough the HKR game and the trainer came on and put a huge strapping around his leg, though as the game went on more and more of it seemed to fall off (or he pulled it off). From where the strapping was it looked like the same hamstring injury.
    I know plenty on here have been defending Hopoate but TBH i'd rather see Bennison get his chance at FB. He may not have the experience but at least he's a proper FB who's played most of his junior rugby in that position and he's got a lot more pace than Hopoate.

Good luck to Bennison if he's in. If he shows anything I'd keep him there.

It's just his passing really, we've seen he can play at this level and be solid so if he can pass reasonably well then he could do a good job for us there.

As others have said IF Hopoate isn't playing then got to start asking questions about next year with him.

Thompson did the admirable thing and said I can't do it anymore I'll leave.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

We need consistency in key positions if we are gonna get our attack clicking. If Hopoate is injured again Woolf needs to call it now and build the side around different players. At this rate he’s gonna take Josh Perrys crown as most useless signing of the last decade.
    On the plus side I’m looking forward to seeing more of young Bennison.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Got A Season Ticket Jack Reacher's Avatar

[QUOTE=JamesSL;848274]Good luck to Bennison if he's in. If he shows anything I'd keep him there.

It's just his passing really, we've seen he can play at this level and be solid so if he can pass reasonably well then he could do a good job for us there.

As others have said IF Hopoate isn't playing then got to start asking questions about next year with him.

Thompson did the admirable thing and said I can't do it anymore I'll leave.[/QUOTE]

Just wondering if there are any legs in the Ratchford rumour it is connected to this

Got A Season Ticket

I don’t know if it is true, I’ve just seen a couple of people mention it however not people I’ve come across before so can’t say whether it’s reliable information or not.

Missed the last game because of work and hadn’t heard anything about him picking up an injury but makes sense if he had his leg strapped up.

I’ve been one to give him benefit of the doubt however there comes a point when we need someone in that position to string a run of games together prior to the business end of the season. Ideally we need the same person at fullback for the big 3 games after tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    We need consistency in key positions if we are gonna get our attack clicking. If Hopoate is injured again Woolf needs to call it now and build the side around different players. At this rate he’s gonna take Josh Perrys crown as most useless signing of the last decade.
    On the plus side I’m looking forward to seeing more of young Bennison.
    If he's not on the pitch tonight I think I will agree with you, losing patience with not having settled pivots.