Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: 21 man squad v Leeds

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    I expected last night to be a much closer game. Leeds were more or less at full strength and we had 6 of our first choice 17 missing.

Very pleased with that win, thought Sironen had his best game yet for us, strong running, great defence and some nice ball skills.

Bennison is a confident kid too and will improve further with more game time. He’ll probably get lots more game time with Hopoate seemingly made of biscuits.

Walmsley was also more like his old self, he’s been less effective of late but played really well last night, so too Paasi and Wingfield when they came on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Leeds were disappointing and have plenty to work on.

That was the best I've seen of Sironen too.

Bennison did okay at full back. He's a slight frame and one of those who looks like he has some physical development to go through, but he's only 19 of course. What was the reason given for Hopoate being out of the side?
    *Not to be confused with Mike Stephenson, MBE

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    Leeds were disappointing and have plenty to work on.

That was the best I've seen of Sironen too.

Bennison did okay at full back. He's a slight frame and one of those who looks like he has some physical development to go through, but he's only 19 of course. What was the reason given for Hopoate being out of the side?
    Woolf said pre-match he’d picked up another niggle.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Leeds have 3 players having to serve bans after Thursday's game Tetevano up to the tribunal looks as though its going to be 4-6 games, Thompson 2 games, Newman 2 games. On the latter watched the match replay and Newman was right up to the refs face so he's going have to learn intimidation doesn't pay.

Congrats to Sironen no ban from him cleared of a possible late hit. Walmsley aggressive tackle not even considered with the disciplinary, similar with his scruffing of Tetevano for his assault on Hurrell.

In The West Stand

Tetevano - Grade D
    Newman - Grade B
    Thompson - Grade B

nothing for us!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    nothing for us!

<<< picks self off floor >>>

The Leeds fans will presumably be losing their sh*t over this (demanding Grace be banned for claiming to have scored a try they 'know' he didn't because they spotted it from miles away)

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Leeds have 3 players having to serve bans after Thursday's game Tetevano up to the tribunal looks as though its going to be 4-6 games, Thompson 2 games, Newman 2 games. On the latter watched the match replay and Newman was right up to the refs face so he's going have to learn intimidation doesn't pay.

Congrats to Sironen no ban from him cleared of a possible late hit. Walmsley aggressive tackle not even considered with the disciplinary, similar with his scruffing of Tetevano for his assault on Hurrell.
    I was confused at the game why it was even given as a penalty, even moreso on a second viewing at home. It was clearly just a big hard tackle, nothing even that could even resemble a shoulder charge or high challenge.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo8 View Post
    I was confused at the game why it was even given as a penalty, even moreso on a second viewing at home. It was clearly just a big hard tackle, nothing even that could even resemble a shoulder charge or high challenge.
    Tetevano tried to put the shoulder in and got put in his backside. Austin trying to card Walmsley (even though it was Lees) was pathetic

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post

Sironen avoiding a ban is a big win. Don't recall seeing anything at the game

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo8 View Post
    Yes when I watched the match again I rewound a couple of times to see the incident, both Walmsley and Knowles used their arms no signs of using a shoulder. Just an aggressive tackle with a lot of impact force behind it.

In The South Stand

I can understand why the Walmsley tackle was blown up for in real time but watching it back there was nothing wrong with it. Austin should have got a game for that though, he was shouting at the ref saying it should be a red.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    <<< picks self off floor >>>

The Leeds fans will presumably be losing their sh*t over this (demanding Grace be banned for claiming to have scored a try they 'know' he didn't because they spotted it from miles away)
    They are. It’s hilarious. I think 2 matches for a trip is a bit harsh given Thompson also went in the bin, 1 match would have done. Newman is absolutely deserved, it is unacceptable to berate an official the way he did, no matter how shit he is. Hope they throw the book at Tetevano.

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    Sironen avoiding a ban is a big win. Don't recall seeing anything at the game
    The only one close he adjusted and took the man to ground I think

Glad Welsby didn't get any bother for tackle on Bentley

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    They are. It’s hilarious. I think 2 matches for a trip is a bit harsh given Thompson also went in the bin, 1 match would have done. Newman is absolutely deserved, it is unacceptable to berate an official the way he did, no matter how shit he is. Hope they throw the book at Tetevano.
    Spot on regarding Newman. He was like a man possessed the entire game, gurning, screaming and shouting, berating touch judges and ref alike. I think he needs to watch it or he'll be in serious trouble if he carries on down that path.

Learning All The Songs

Newman says he's appealing so they're going to be apoplectic when he gets an extra game for a frivolous appeal. This is what he's said about it...

“I don’t think I was aggressive towards him [referee Tom Grant] and if it’s come across that way, I just want to apologise to the fans."

Could probably try apologising to the guy you were agressive to rather than the fans. Not sure how he can defend it tbh given he had to be held back from the ref by a team mate. What a melon.

Quote Originally Posted by Private Pyle View Post
    Newman says he's appealing so they're going to be apoplectic when he gets an extra game for a frivolous appeal. This is what he's said about it...

“I don’t think I was aggressive towards him [referee Tom Grant] and if it’s come across that way, I just want to apologise to the fans."

Could probably try apologising to the guy you were agressive to rather than the fans. Not sure how he can defend it tbh given he had to be held back from the ref by a team mate. What a melon.
    The club should be fined as well for letting him appeal. We, as a sport, are starting to move more towards the histrionics of football and it needs addressing. If that had been a union game at any level that would have been a straight red card followed by a 2-4 game ban.

As a member has said above, Tetevano was the one who was running the ball up but then turned sideways so he could use his shoulder on impact against the defenders, and he just got put on his booty in the process. Was lovely to watch.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Hope gets an increase. I don’t want to see us become like football,with everybody in the referees face.

Got A Season Ticket

From where I was sitting you could see Newman dishing it out to the touch judge pretty much from kick off. I was surprised that he wasn't spoken to about it during the game.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealHarryPinner View Post
    From where I was sitting you could see Newman dishing it out to the touch judge pretty much from kick off. I was surprised that he wasn't spoken to about it during the game.
    All the officials were Super League referees. All in communication with each other. Couldn’t the more experienced officials have recommended a card to nip behaviour like this in the bud? I don’t think I’ve seen such disrespectful behaviour by a player towards officials before. I hope he gets an extra game to make it clear to all players that they need to be respectful to referees. I don’t think all referees are wonderful or that they get everything right but without them (a cliche but true) there is no game.

I think there was a wilful attempt, by more than one Leeds’ player, to unduly influence a relatively inexperienced (at Super League level) referee.

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    All the officials were Super League referees. All in communication with each other. Couldn’t the more experienced officials have recommended a card to nip behaviour like this in the bud? I don’t think I’ve seen such disrespectful behaviour by a player towards officials before. I hope he gets an extra game to make it clear to all players that they need to be respectful to referees. I don’t think all referees are wonderful or that they get everything right but without them (a cliche but true) there is no game.

I think there was a wilful attempt, by more than one Leeds’ player, to unduly influence a relatively inexperienced (at Super League level) referee.
    Its been a long time since I,ve seen an agitated player like that, he was giving Robert Hicks some grief as well, I agree he should have given a yellow card and told him to have a seat and calm down. I imagine he got one game ban for the intimidation to the ref and another game ban for the bad language. I don't know where Newman got that from maybe Blake Austin is his mentor.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post

Spot on mate. I've mentioned in other posts that Newman's behaviour was truly shocking. He was screaming at officials, his eyes bulging and his neck muscles straining, gesticulating like a maniac. I don't know who he thinks he is but I think maybe some of the positive coverage he's been given re his obvious talent has gone to his head. A manic display that his club should be fining him for. Refs don't need abuse like that from professionals. Awful.

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

The club should be fined as well for letting him appeal. We, as a sport, are starting to move more towards the histrionics of football and it needs addressing. If that had been a union game at any level that would have been a straight red card followed by a 2-4 game ban.
    Agreed. There's a lot of playacting to milk a penalty, shouting at the referee, imaginary waving of a card to get a sinbinning. We are as guilty as any other team but it needs stamping out of the game.
    I get that adrenaline fuels anger and frustration but players need to keep a lid on it and be dealt with if they don't. I remember from my playing day my coaches telling the team only the captain talks to the ref and always call them "Sir". I remember one game where the coach subbed a player, one of the better ones in the team, precisely because he did shout at the referee. He never did it again.

I’ve never taken to Newman and have always thought he acts like a spoilt prima donna. What made his reaction worse to the referee sending it up as a try was that he was never in a position to judge whether Walmsley had grounded the ball and, of course, his claim of no-try was shown to be wrong. He deserves at least one game addition to the ban, a hefty fine for acting like a gobshite and a good slap from his coach.

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    He deserves at least one game addition to the ban, a hefty fine for acting like a gobshite and a good slap from his coach.
    Can we please have that as an official disciplinary charge? Jake Connor, Tomkins and Gale would be Sine Die!

Well done to the RFL. Newman has been given an extra game for a frivolous appeal so 3 in total

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk