Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Percival worry

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The.Reverand View Post
    Either way it’s been more of the same with Percy missing yet more big chunks of a season.
    Harsh. Bar 2020 he's not had any seasons like this. Average of 26 games per year in 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2021 and has played 15 so far this.

It's a commonly heard myth that he has a terrible injury record. He hasn't. He has averaged 20 games a year throughout his career including his debut year when he only played 11.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    I'm not sure it's that long mate. Think it was 19 May his last game against Warrington
    Oh aye you're right pal, my bad.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Harsh. Bar 2020 he's not had any seasons like this. Average of 26 games per year in 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2021 and has played 15 so far this.

It's a commonly heard myth that he has a terrible injury record. He hasn't. He has averaged 20 games a year throughout his career including his debut year when he only played 11.
    Don't spoil a good player assassination with facts.

Starting A Programme Collection

Very surprised he hasn't been injured more often , the way he runs the ball out as tho' he is a prop .
    One thing is for sure we are certanly missing him .

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Especially harsh when you consider his latest injury is an impact injury which can happen to anyone in RL.

Learning All The Songs

Have enjoyed watching Percy from when he first came through and he has been unlucky with injuries since the shoulder in early 2020, the hamstring in late 2020 and now this issue.
    He was silky smooth, great hands, with pace to burn and could catch a ball over his head in defence or attack.
    I think the bulldozer style came about because Bennett thought he was not direct enough for international rugby, Bateman being picked ahead of him being the example.
    Also Tommy did not return the ball like this when he was younger it was when he broke his leg and knee reconstruction shortly after that he developed his upper body strength that he now has that fend with one arm carry, Tommy picks his point when to enter the line after crabbing and looking who he is going to target using late footwork very well. Percy does not do this anymore, he used to, he runs straight and though he may not get knocked backwards, all forwards love straight runners they can set and really put the shoulder in. Mark may get away with it but eventually against bigger men he will bend and then crack, the shot he tried on Ben Murdoch being a time it failed because of size.
    Our normal first choice five outside backs are brilliant at returning the ball we cannot change that now but it is time for them to pick their moments better as Tommy seems to do. Mark has nothing to prove, start using that late footwork again and cause the big men to miss he scored a try in the GF by crabbing and following his own kick!!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Have enjoyed watching Percy from when he first came through and he has been unlucky with injuries since the shoulder in early 2020, the hamstring in late 2020 and now this issue.
    He was silky smooth, great hands, with pace to burn and could catch a ball over his head in defence or attack.
    I think the bulldozer style came about because Bennett thought he was not direct enough for international rugby, Bateman being picked ahead of him being the example.
    Also Tommy did not return the ball like this when he was younger it was when he broke his leg and knee reconstruction shortly after that he developed his upper body strength that he now has that fend with one arm carry, Tommy picks his point when to enter the line after crabbing and looking who he is going to target using late footwork very well. Percy does not do this anymore, he used to, he runs straight and though he may not get knocked backwards, all forwards love straight runners they can set and really put the shoulder in. Mark may get away with it but eventually against bigger men he will bend and then crack, the shot he tried on Ben Murdoch being a time it failed because of size.
    Our normal first choice five outside backs are brilliant at returning the ball we cannot change that now but it is time for them to pick their moments better as Tommy seems to do. Mark has nothing to prove, start using that late footwork again and cause the big men to miss he scored a try in the GF by crabbing and following his own kick!!
    I don’t get to as many games these days but I did watch us at Warrington last year. I will never forget that scorching try he scored. I feel lucky to have witnessed it live. It was up there with Sullivans long distance try at wigan in the 2000 play offs.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    I don’t get to as many games these days but I did watch us at Warrington last year. I will never forget that scorching try he scored. I feel lucky to have witnessed it live. It was up there with Sullivans long distance try at wigan in the 2000 play offs.
    I think that try was even more incredible considering the hamstring problems he had that year. He had no right to score that try yet did ... Special moment

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    I think that try was even more incredible considering the hamstring problems he had that year. He had no right to score that try yet did ... Special moment
    The triple hand off, swapping of ball to other hand. Fantastic. I think what made it special was how unexpected it was. I honestly expected him to get run down within 20 yards of taking off.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Great effort for that try. He had the pace to leave Ratchford and I forget who the other one was, then had the strength to hold off Currie. Typical Percy try, unexpected and with pace effort and strength

In the interview on Saints TV Woolf has said the best case for Percival is that he’s back for the last week of the regular season and that IF he comes back this season he’ll be a huge player for us.

Got A Season Ticket

Sironen for Wingfield, Percival For Bennison and Welsby for Davies and we have more than a chance of winning the GF.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Saint View Post
    Sironen for Wingfield, Percival For Bennison and Welsby for Davies and we have more than a chance of winning the GF.
    Not a chance Bennison will be dropped. He's earned his place & has been very good for us. Percival back in at centre and Mata’utia back in the second row. Providing both available. Leave Bennison on the wing

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

In the interview on Saints TV Woolf has said the best case for Percival is that he’s back for the last week of the regular season and that IF he comes back this season he’ll be a huge player for us.
    I'm seeing it as a bonus if he plays again this season now. I honestly don't think Saints know whether he will or won't at this stage. Must be such a frustrating injury.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    I'm seeing it as a bonus if he plays again this season now. I honestly don't think Saints know whether he will or won't at this stage. Must be such a frustrating injury.
    That doesn't sound good at all.

Got A Season Ticket

That doesn't sound promising.

If he's only back for Toulouse I think we just leave him for this season. We need some continuity down that left edge, keep Sione there with Bennison to try and build an understanding before the play offs.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

If we have wrapped up the LLS early doors we could give Percy a bench spot for the Wakey game, survive that he gets a full 80 mins for the last game with Toulouse.

It appears Percy has trained well and is fairly fit but not tested with impact training on that knee, perhaps we get a better picture in a couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by fizzy rascal View Post
    That doesn't sound promising.

If he's only back for Toulouse I think we just leave him for this season. We need some continuity down that left edge, keep Sione there with Bennison to try and build an understanding before the play offs.
    As I said a couple of weeks ago, it wouldn't surprise me if he finished the season as left winger, with Matautia staying at centre.

In The South Stand The.Reverand's Avatar

What you don’t want is him taking a spot in a playoff or grand final even and coming off after 10 minutes after contact. That’s a bigger impact on the team than him not playing. A fit Percy you want in there, but any kind of a gamble we go with what we have, it’s been doing ok and better than playing a large part of a playoff game with only 3 subs.

Quote Originally Posted by The.Reverand View Post
    What you don’t want is him taking a spot in a playoff or grand final even and coming off after 10 minutes after contact. That’s a bigger impact on the team than him not playing. A fit Percy you want in there, but any kind of a gamble we go with what we have, it’s been doing ok and better than playing a large part of a playoff game with only 3 subs.
    Hard to judge unless you have seen him in training, I agree we wouldn't want him coming off after a few minutes. If it is 50/50 then probably no, but if they are 90 % certain he will get through then I think he is worth the risk.

Learning All The Songs

Has to be available for the last game of the season or have a couple of reserves games under his belt for me otherwise he shouldn't be getting brought straight into the intensity of play-off games. It would bring back memories of the CC game we lost to Wire a couple of years back.

Would love to have him back in the side but unless he can prove his fitness it's too big a risk with all the uncertainty they've had around how well the injury has been healing.

If he can't prove his fitness I'd much rather give him an extended off season to make sure he's right for next year. Just need to make sure two of Hurrell, Hopoate and Matautia are fit and not banned so we're covered.

Learning All The Songs Two Wheeled Saint's Avatar

He's in an oxygen tank today, so they are obviously trying everything.