Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: England Squad

Default England Squad

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/61786784

McIlorum? Seriously? The sport is a joke if you can just switch country allegiances whenever it suits.
    I ate a tuna sandwich on my first day!

In The West Stand

Congrats to Joe Batchelor - incredibly well deserved (alongside our other representatives).

Anyone find it weird that the England coach involved in the Wigan set up only saw fit to include 2 Wigan players (and a Huddersfield player who cant get into the team, but Wigan want to sign) whilst Warrington in their awful form have 5 representatives? Surely Harry Smith should be in ahead of Ratchford? Havard ahead of Philbin, Marshall ahead of Ashton? Especially with the news that Field and French are also dropping out of the All Stars squad?

After the vitriol the Wigan fans spilt last year (to the point they had to come out before the squads were announced this year to explain with 8 representatives it wasnt reasonable to strip our team further) surely they wouldnt be doing exactly what they accused us of???

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Congrats to Joe Batchelor - incredibly well deserved (alongside our other representatives).

Anyone find it weird that the England coach involved in the Wigan set up only saw fit to include 2 Wigan players (and a Huddersfield player who cant get into the team, but Wigan want to sign) whilst Warrington in their awful form have 5 representatives? Surely Harry Smith should be in ahead of Ratchford? Havard ahead of Philbin, Marshall ahead of Ashton? Especially with the news that Field and French are also dropping out of the All Stars squad?

After the vitriol the Wigan fans spilt last year (to the point they had to come out before the squads were announced this year to explain with 8 representatives it wasnt reasonable to strip our team further) surely they wouldnt be doing exactly what they accused us of???

Fishier than the contents of Baldrick's trousers

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Really poor team.
    Struggle to see how so many Warrington players have made the squad.

Massive congrats to Batch. What a rise he’s had.

Just a thought. Don’t pick to many Wigan players to prevent possible injury / Suspension for what’s a completely pointless game. Wigan England coach picks loads of Saints players run them into the ground!
    I’m sure Cullen will be there in person ready with his ban Saints players check sheet..
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Very odd team. No Knowles seems the big one for me, unless someone knows something I don't.

It depends what Wane is looking to get out the game. Maybe he is trying to work out who else makes his squad and his auto picks are given the game off?
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    Really poor team.
    Struggle to see how so many Warrington players have made the squad.

Massive congrats to Batch. What a rise he’s had.
    Maybe it’s to try and generate ticket sales with the game being at Warrington. Although I would have thought the locals would have had a belly full of watching Warrington players.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    Very odd team. No Knowles seems the big one for me, unless someone knows something I don't.

It depends what Wane is looking to get out the game. Maybe he is trying to work out who else makes his squad and his auto picks are given the game off?
    Think it's five max from each club and with Knowles one of the first on the teamsheet he's probably though best to have a look at some others. Some really odd selections though.

Banned

You'd have thought it would be a chance to either get as close to the World Cup 17 together for a game. Or, failing that, to give a try-out to emerging players.

I don't see the point in playing guys whose best days are well behind them. Hall, McShane, Ratchford, Watkins at least should be nowhere near an England squad these days. There's a Roby-shaped hole in the squad, so I guess you could make a case for Paddy Whack (although he's a very limited player), but McShane had a couple of years' purple patch and has faded a lot the last couple of seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    You'd have thought it would be a chance to either get as close to the World Cup 17 together for a game. Or, failing that, to give a try-out to emerging players.

I don't see the point in playing guys whose best days are well behind them. Hall, McShane, Ratchford, Watkins at least should be nowhere near an England squad these days. There's a Roby-shaped hole in the squad, so I guess you could make a case for Paddy Whack (although he's a very limited player), but McShane had a couple of years' purple patch and has faded a lot the last couple of seasons.
    Problem is is that there is no one of any real quality coming through to take spaces. Hall is the 2nd top English try scorer in the comp at the moment, and not much else behind him (is Marshall injured on just Wigan biased leaving him out to keep him fresh?) and also up there in terms of carries, clean breaks and metres made. McShane 2nd top tackle maker, but the other two nowhere near top 10 on any stats, so those two must just be for experience....

Interestingly, Welsby is only top 10 on tackle busts and errors made (of which he's made the most....)

Banned

In terms of wingers, where are Marshall (as you say) and Davies?

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    In terms of wingers, where are Marshall (as you say) and Davies?
    Davies is 5th in metres and Marshall 6th in tries, but in terms of the rest of the stats they are nowhere, so maybe that's why they've not been picked.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post

On the announcement it mentioned that Knowles, Percival and Lomax miss out through injury.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The South Stand

Hope the rest of our lads pull out with niggles. It’s a laughable team against laughable opposition in a laughable concept.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The South Stand

Wane ensuring that his beloved Pies get a week off, whilst their nearest and dearest have to play yet another fixture, risking injury and with the current theme re officiating, yellow cards and suspension. Who would've thought it?

In The South Stand

Default England Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Hope the rest of our lads pull out with niggles. It’s a laughable team against laughable opposition in a laughable concept.
    I don’t. It’s not up to us to decide what England games we do and don’t consider deserving of our players.

Agree it’s a rubbish game, but I would assume from Wane’s point of view preparing for a World a cup it is important. Let’s do the right thing and not undermine it any further.

Good luck to the lads who might make their full England debuts - will be a big deal for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

I'm not sure how good an idea these games are mid season. Clubs and players clearly don't care enough and the game becomes a farce every year. The England team is never full strength and the all stars team ends up a cobbled mess. The fact a few English players are in the squad shows how desperate it has become.

It may be worth having a full season of Super League, having the final a week earlier and then having a warm up game before a big event in future as the clubs will support it more then.

Every single fan will just be hoping their players come out of it unscathed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Starting A Programme Collection

Me to a meaningless game . How many from team of the month Wigan !! .Warrington near bottom no one outstanding but 5 says it all . Even the2 star players for Wigan have pulled out of there team. Don’t want to get injured. The corrupt RFL at it again. .

A nothing fixture, and completely pointless, but hey ho.

Not sure how the likes of Michael McIlorum, Mike McMeeken, Mikolaj Oledzki, Joe Philbin and Stefan Ratchford get in there when all of them have been pedestrian this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    I'm not sure how good an idea these games are mid season. Clubs and players clearly don't care enough and the game becomes a farce every year. The England team is never full strength and the all stars team ends up a cobbled mess. The fact a few English players are in the squad shows how desperate it has become.

It may be worth having a full season of Super League, having the final a week earlier and then having a warm up game before a big event in future as the clubs will support it more then.

Every single fan will just be hoping their players come out of it unscathed.
    Playing a cobbled mess of an all stars team is still better than putting 60 past France or wales. I also get that Wane wants to be able to have a good look at players but the only way to get a full strength side out would be to either fly the NRL players over here or to fly the super league players out there.

I’d love to see a dedicated international weekend down under with England v Aus, NZ v Tonga, Fiji v Samoa, PNG v Cook Islands. Have the games all on one day as a festival of rugby. Then a Wales v Scotland, Ireland v France double header up here. Can’t see it though.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Playing a cobbled mess of an all stars team is still better than putting 60 past France or wales. I also get that Wane wants to be able to have a good look at players but the only way to get a full strength side out would be to either fly the NRL players over here or to fly the super league players out there.

I’d love to see a dedicated international weekend down under with England v Aus, NZ v Tonga, Fiji v Samoa, PNG v Cook Islands. Have the games all on one day as a festival of rugby. Then a Wales v Scotland, Ireland v France double header up here. Can’t see it though.
    The NRL have a scheduled 'representative round' in the calendar and it's the weekend of the 25-26th June.

Samoa vs Cook Islands
    PNG vs Figi
    NZ vs Tonga
    NSW vs QLD

Shame that something couldn't be done as you suggest to include sides from the northern hemisphere.

On a side note, the New Zealand vs Tonga game could be as exciting as Origin 2. Really interesting to see the Tonga team...They'll be missing a few through those over here and those who may opt to play in Origin, but they have some real talent emerging in Olakau'atu in the second row (plays for Manly) and Koula either at full back, wing or centre. He's been clocked at 10.58s for the 100m. He's just 19 and starting to show what he can do. He's also at Manly.
    *Not to be confused with Mike Stephenson, MBE

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    The NRL have a scheduled 'representative round' in the calendar and it's the weekend of the 25-26th June.

Samoa vs Cook Islands
    PNG vs Figi
    NZ vs Tonga
    NSW vs QLD

Shame that something couldn't be done as you suggest to include sides from the northern hemisphere.

On a side note, the New Zealand vs Tonga game could be as exciting as Origin 2. Really interesting to see the Tonga team...They'll be missing a few through those over here and those who may opt to play in Origin, but they have some real talent emerging in Olakau'atu in the second row (plays for Manly) and Koula either at full back, wing or centre. He's been clocked at 10.58s for the 100m. He's just 19 and starting to show what he can do. He's also at Manly.
    Hopefully under this new IMG deal getting a more cohesive international game is on their list of priorities. The NRL clubs have too much veto power at the moment. I know a lot of people don’t really give a toss about international rugby but without meaningful international competition rugby league in the UK is destined to slowly slide into a provincial semi professional sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Private Pyle View Post
    Think it's five max from each club and with Knowles one of the first on the teamsheet he's probably though best to have a look at some others. Some really odd selections though.
    Fair point. If he wants to look at Batch then he needs to leave a Saints player out and Knowles would more than likely play instead of him
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Trying to muster some sort of enthusiasm for this game is hard. As I have said in another post, it's turned into a bit of a mess. We’ve ended up with a half-baked England side playing against a load of strangers cobbled together on Monday plus any English lads not deemed good enough for England. I am going to watch the game but it almost feels forced!

Having said that, I've scribbled down what I would pick from the 20 named, I think it will be something along the lines of:

Tomkins
    Maksinon
    Watkins
    Wardle
    Hall
    Welsby
    Williams
    Walmsley
    McShane
    Cooper
    McMeeken
    Farrell
    Bateman

McIlorum
    Batchelor
    Oledzki
    Lees

Ashton, Philbin and Ratchford to miss out. However I know Wane is a big fan of Ratchford so him on the bench over Batchelor wouldn't surprise me.

You could probably name a side as good, if not better, made up of players not playing this weekend who will be in and around the World Cup squad - so I am not sure what we are going to learn from this weekend really. Off the top of my head you have the NRL based lads (Burgess, Whitehead, Sutton, Farnworth, Young) plus the likes of Lomax, Knowles, Percival, Davies, Marshall, Currie, Newman, Clark who would all have chances. It could be a very very different England team that faces Samoa in a few months.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

I usually look forward to England/GB games but I have zero interest in this one.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies