Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hurrell's run

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I seem to remember he was still offered a decent salary to do another season but Coote made a very respectful comment about the club needed to retain their young star players suggesting cap money should go to them. As it turned out Hull KR must have offered decent money but I think he left our club on the best of terms with the players, Rushy and McManus.
    Didn’t we only offer him a 1 year deal as well and Hull KR offered 2?
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I seem to remember he was still offered a decent salary to do another season but Coote made a very respectful comment about the club needed to retain their young star players suggesting cap money should go to them. As it turned out Hull KR must have offered decent money but I think he left our club on the best of terms with the players, Rushy and McManus.
    Correct. We offered him a rolling one year contract, HKR offered him a two year deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Didn’t we only offer him a 1 year deal as well and Hull KR offered 2?
    I think that was correct on the 1 year deal, anything longer could have delayed the development transition of Welsby, Bennison and Hill in that full back position. In my opinion the club have done the right thing in taking those 3 players into account and are planning long term which other clubs don't do and go for a quick fix instead.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Confirmed 1 year extension. Fully deserved, let's be honest, the majority of the fans were extremely underwhelmed when he signed but since game 1 he has proved us all wrong. Very happy to see him go round again.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    Confirmed 1 year extension. Fully deserved, let's be honest, the majority of the fans were extremely underwhelmed when he signed but since game 1 he has proved us all wrong. Very happy to see him go round again.
    I’m happy with that. He’s definitely earned it.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    I was one of them !Glad he has signed an extension !

Fantastic news, great character on and off the pitch. Always reminds me of “Freddie”.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Made up for him to be given an extension. I think he gets the club and its fan base.

Clearly come on leaps and bounds since leaving Leeds.

Hope he kicks on now and goes even better for the rest of the year and next

Banned

Only 30 this man. Could be here for a good few years I was one of the few who thought he’d be alright but he’s exceeded that

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Northstand View Post
    Only 30 this man. Could be here for a good few years I was one of the few who thought he’d be alright but he’s exceeded that
    I was happy last year when we signed him up. He’s the sort of player who has always had ability. It’s done him good coming to a real a club from the shower that is Leeds.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

Always really liked him, not even the rugby side. Even though he was at Leeds I couldn't dislike him, he's so engaging and he's been great for us. He's a player that really interacts with the crowd, both by his explosive runs on the pitch and by his great relationship with the fans. So pleased we've got him for at least another year.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_Claire View Post
    Always really liked him, not even the rugby side. Even though he was at Leeds I couldn't dislike him, he's so engaging and he's been great for us. He's a player that really interacts with the crowd, both by his explosive runs on the pitch and by his great relationship with the fans. So pleased we've got him for at least another year.
    Spot on. Now that he's working in a disciplined and organised club both he and the club are reaping the rewards. Just shows how Leeds must take a good look at themselves when Saints can release the great potential of this player yet Leeds couldn't. I shook his hand before the KR match and said "You need to stay" and he smiled and replied "hopefully", glad I swayed him, ha!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    Spot on. Now that he's working in a disciplined and organised club both he and the club are reaping the rewards. Just shows how Leeds must take a good look at themselves when Saints can release the great potential of this player yet Leeds couldn't. I shook his hand before the KR match and said "You need to stay" and he smiled and replied "hopefully", glad I swayed him, ha!
    I think a great deal of credit goes to Woolf. Obviously knew him from the Tonga squad and everybody knew how devastating he could be at his best. Woolf backed his ability to get the best out of Hurrell as a coach and through the environment he has created, and he has been proven right.

I, like many others, was skeptical when we signed him. I loved him in the NRL but we all saw him turn into a lazy, immobile player at Leeds. The deal seemed like a free hit for everyone though. Massively reduced one year deal. If he’d flopped, we had a good back up player for a year and we walk away. If he succeeds, we get a top class player and he puts himself firmly back in the Tonga side and the shop window for a much improved deal either at Saints or somewhere else.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

He was devastating when he first went to Leeds but he was signed as a marquee and for whatever reasons on/off field his form went away. Here the spotlight and pressure is off him a little more. It's not like we need him to win us games on his own and he can do his thing. Glad he's signed again, works hard, offers something different and nice bloke off the field.

In The South Stand

Seems to be a really nice person with an engaging personality. I think he pushed Ryan Hall’s boot back on after a tackle on Sunday! You have to be brave to stop him. Coote managed it but only by putting his body on the line, getting steamrollered and effectively tripping him with his body. I think some of us ought he would be useful backup but he’s been a regular throughout the season.

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

For me he has put himself at number 1 to partner Percy at centre. In defence he has worked hard and improved his awareness and positioning
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by The frenchman View Post
    He was devastating when he first went to Leeds

It's not like we need him to win us games on his own and he can do his thing. Glad he's signed again, works hard, offers something different and nice bloke off the field.

Good points, at Leeds he was the “Ben Barba” of the team where the ball seemed to find its way to him, sometimes in blind hope that he would make something of it. A lot of weight on his shoulders, and he eventually became easy to take out of a game……

Here he is part of a group of those kind of players who can create so nobody wants to number up on him as it leaves too much space for others…..

This gives him more room and the opportunities that come with space.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

So it's all down to you He really does love the fans, you can tell just watching him.

Starting A Programme Collection Saintsaregods's Avatar

I'm really pleased with Koni signing on again, in fact I've been impressed with our recruitment/retention this season. I was also one who questioned his signing originally.

On your intervention can you do the same with Woolf, it could be down to you and your swaying technique!!

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Give Camelot a sway Prez and ask them to provide Nickles Forearm from Sin Tellins with the winning Lotto ticket. I’ll share it with you, honest.