Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Next coach

Starting A Programme Collection

Can certainly see the positive if Wellens succeeds he isn't going to leave us in 2/3 years for the NRL etc.

My thoughts in general are if it isn't broke don't fix it and our last 3 Aussie coaches have all won a Grand Final.

Our last internal appointment took us from GF winners to 7th. Certainly doesn't mean Wellens would but think it's a fair concern to an extent.

What does work in Wellens favour is him being around the England camps etc as well to be fair to him. He will know what KC did wrong and should hopefully be able to work using his knowledge from that as he was around the club at that time. He has also worked under the best coach we've had for a long time (IMO) in Woolf. So from that point he could/should be better prepared than KC was.

It's just a huge decision isn't it? One I'm glad I don't have to make...

Well to give our neighbours across the lump some credit, they’ve not done too bad with Matty Peet. Never been a head coach before nor even a player.

With a decent backroom staff like he has with SOL and Briers, they have made it work, so far anyway.

Wellens with a couple of experienced old hands alongside him could be just the ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    It is so hard for us fans to not be caught up in the romance of Wellens being the head coach of a successful Saints team and as much as McManus and Rush are astute businessmen who don't let their hearts rule their head, there must be an element of that in their minds too. Let's be honest it is what dreams of made of - a local lad and club legend going on to win trophies as head coach.

If you look at the pros and cons - Wellens knows the club and the players inside out, there wouldn't be a risk of him being homesick and/or eyeing up a NRL job, he knows the competition, the opposition, the area, the fans. He would have the instant respect of the players at the club. It's literally just the fact it his first job that would go against him.

You don't often get it in Rugby League but just imagine him in charge for the next 10 years and doing something similar to what Ferguson did at Man Utd in terms of the number of trophies and having that longevity in the job. It's all set up for him to have a long-lasting period of success at Saints and for me (easy to say I know) the potential rewards of having him in charge are worth the risk. I trust the club to make the call in terms of if/when Wellens is the man for the job but should Woolf leave after this season then he has to be frontrunner surely.
    Wellens probably has quite a fair advantage taking over from Woolf compared to Cunningham taking over from Brown. He has a remarkable set of determined players at the moment that doesn't need fixing and he's got a fair amount of young players ready to transition.

Wellens doesn't seem to be a bloke who would make wholesale changes in players and the playing structure, I should imagine he would fine tune and go back to basics when things don't turn out learning that philosophy from Holbrook and Woolf.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    Well to give our neighbours across the lump some credit, they’ve not done too bad with Matty Peet. Never been a head coach before nor even a player.

With a decent backroom staff like he has with SOL and Briers, they have made it work, so far anyway.

Wellens with a couple of experienced old hands alongside him could be just the ticket.

In fairness, Peet was head coach of the highly successful academy for many years before stepping up, so whilst it's not Super League, he has a lot of Head Coach experience.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    The rumours earlier this year of Phil Gould being too involved with the club and the Head Coach’s work would be enough to make me think again, no matter how good the roster is. Kikau also come out recently citing Barrett as a key reason for joining the Bulldogs, so that’s not exactly a positive message you want from a major signing.
    Perhaps, but the other way to look at it is that it's a chance for KW to work with someone who's regarded as having one of the smartest brains in RL.

Panthers have already signed a replacement for Kikau in Luke Garner from Wests. So it's unlikely Kikau will try and back out of the deal now. Money talks of course and that's the reason he's leaving Penrith more than anything I'd say.
    *Not to be confused with Mike Stephenson, MBE

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    someone who's regarded as having one of the smartest brains in RL.
    He hides it well

Learning All The Songs Two Wheeled Saint's Avatar

On the latest pre-match interview KW stated he and his wife both are loving living in St Helens.
    [fingers crossed]

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Two Wheeled Saint View Post
    On the latest pre-match interview KW stated he and his wife both are loving living in St Helens.
    [fingers crossed]
    I never had him down as a masochist!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Two Wheeled Saint View Post
    [fingers crossed]
    To be fair mate i can never understand people taking seriously what any coach says. What do people expect?
    He’s hardly gonna say ‘this place is a sh**hole. Hopoate gets a shirt because i’ve known him a while but I understand fans concerns because he can’t go for a pi** without the risk of going full metzitzah b'peh on us!’

Im not having a dig at Woolf. But how many coaches are actually straight with the fans? (Other than Lee Radford maybe)
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Speculation in the Aus media today that Woolf is leaning towards the assistant role at the Dolphins. Journalists are saying the owner of the Warriors flew over here to convince him to go to them as head coach but he has knocked that back.

In here- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If-YUn59JwQ

Speculation in the Aus media today that Woolf is leaning towards the assistant role at the Dolphins. Journalists are saying the owner of the Warriors flew over here to convince him to go to them as head coach but he has knocked that back.

There is a lot of upheaval in the NRL head coach and assistant coach roles at the moment, some clubs appear to see Woolf as a second option and not a first option its possible Woolf may not like that. It appears only the Dolphins will give time to a coach to build over the longer period.

I,m also expecting Holbrook to be sacked very shortly, lots of talk coming out of the gold coast media since the weekend. His interview looked quite bad and he looked very depressed compared to the Saints days.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post

I'm also expecting Holbrook to be sacked very shortly, lots of talk coming out of the gold coast media since the weekend. His interview looked quite bad and he looked very depressed compared to the Saints days.
    Now there's a curveball..........
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The South Stand

Perhaps he knocked them back because he’s decided to stay. We can but hope and speculate.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    Perhaps he knocked them back because he’s decided to stay. We can but hope and speculate.
    Heard from a mate down here in NZ that the Warriors owners have put a blanket ban on any players or coaches who are aligned with the agent Moses. KW is one of those, so would be odd if they are pursuing him.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I,m also expecting Holbrook to be sacked very shortly, lots of talk coming out of the gold coast media since the weekend. His interview looked quite bad and he looked very depressed compared to the Saints days.
    Titans are running bottom of the ladder at the moment but I think given they made the finals last year, he may get a reprieve. The fact that there's already three clubs without a head coach at the moment means any potential replacements will be being looked at by the other sides. I've said in the NRL thread that I think they over achieved somewhat last season and have been overtaken this year by sides who have better rosters than them.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny NZ View Post
    Heard from a mate down here in NZ that the Warriors owners have put a blanket ban on any players or coaches who are aligned with the agent Moses. KW is one of those, so would be odd if they are pursuing him.
    I think the Warriors know they have limited options though Vinny. Not a lot of the top coaches or players seem to want to go there...

It was interesting looking at the Kiwi test team last week, in that not a single player in the 17 was from the Warriors. Why do you think it is that the top NZ players don't want to go there? I'm sure I read last year when Joseph Manu was on the open market, Warriors offered him big money but he signed a new deal at the Roosters. Think they've tried for Dylan Brown before too.
    Last edited by Mike Stephenson; 29th June 2022 at 12:05.

Got A Season Ticket

Ha ha how do you solve a problem like the Warriors. I think it is an issue right at the top of the organisation as players ( or coaches) who leave the Warriors are able to do well wherever they go under a better structure.
    Another element is that since the days of Stacey Jones and Ali Lauiti'iti when the Warriors played a very adhoc, freedom to offload and sometimes quite frankly bizarre moves the clubs they faced struggled to cope. Now in the much more clinical defensive set ups that type of play is nullified but the Warriors havent found a way to conform or adapt. Still I will be there at a sold out Mt Smart to welcome them home and hope....always hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny NZ View Post
    Ha ha how do you solve a problem like the Warriors. I think it is an issue right at the top of the organisation as players ( or coaches) who leave the Warriors are able to do well wherever they go under a better structure.
    Another element is that since the days of Stacey Jones and Ali Lauiti'iti when the Warriors played a very adhoc, freedom to offload and sometimes quite frankly bizarre moves the clubs they faced struggled to cope. Now in the much more clinical defensive set ups that type of play is nullified but the Warriors havent found a way to conform or adapt. Still I will be there at a sold out Mt Smart to welcome them home and hope....always hope.
    Incredibly frustrating but, just as with Saints, I just can't stop following them and will continue to tune in to every game. The rot started from the top and has never been resolved. The travel is also an issue and in the COVID era we do need to remember that it has been incredibly tough on all the payers and staff being away for so long. One thing is certain, they have a huge support base and they deserve a huge roar when they finally make their comeback appearance on Sunday. Write this season off (well, we have no choice) and plan for next year already.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

I can see the Gold Coast having a word with Holbrook Monday morning.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Ringing endorsement for Wellens from Scully here...
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    could be an interesting option for us, but personally I wouldn't go back. First of all we have actually improved since he left, so what would he have to be able to add to maintain the success? Secondly, i know he left on good terms but he did choose to leave us for what he thought was a better option - so its a bit like a married man crawling back to his wife after he had an affair with his 25 year old secretary.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo8 View Post
    could be an interesting option for us, but personally I wouldn't go back. First of all we have actually improved since he left, so what would he have to be able to add to maintain the success? Secondly, i know he left on good terms but he did choose to leave us for what he thought was a better option - so its a bit like a married man crawling back to his wife after he had an affair with his 25 year old secretary.
    What! He chose to leave, he could choose to come back. No secretaries involved.

He wanted to coach in the NRL , he was offered the job at the final hour as he was all but set on staying a season further . In his words ‘ it was an offer i simply cant refuse ‘ . He really liked it here and had he not have got the head coach job in the NRL he may well still be here . Two of his lads was making headway at Liverpool and one was a superb Rugby player . I believe neither are playing rugby or football anymore since going back !

I’m not sure he will come back , not to Saints ‘ tail between the legs feel’ . He has made a few Bob to sit off and re set for a year and perhaps take an assistant position for a few yr in Auss . His mum and his wife’s parents are also in there early 80s so it may also be a factor for not coming back at this time ! Who knows , but I don’t see him coming back

Learning All The Songs

I wouldn’t have him back, but Holbrook did a great job at Saints. He had to sort out the basket case that was St Helens and he had to get rid of all the deadwood. He turned the likes of Peyroux from bog standard player to a fan’s favourite. Woolf didn’t have to do that when he joined.

Quote Originally Posted by pramtown View Post
    I wouldn’t have him back, but Holbrook did a great job at Saints. He had to sort out the basket case that was St Helens and he had to get rid of all the deadwood. He turned the likes of Peyroux from bog standard player to a fan’s favourite. Woolf didn’t have to do that when he joined.
    Don’t think he would have much impact if he returned we play a different game now and Holbrook seems to have lost coaching confidence.

From Scully’s article it appears it’s Wellens for the job with a slim chance of Woolf going another year.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    It just goes to show that SL and the NRL are two completely different beasts
    On a side note just watching tonight’s game cas v hudds what is all the hype around Will Price he must be the most overrated player in SL he’s nowhere near NRL standard imo