Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Next coach

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    Why would it be the same, they are two different people? Two very different characters. Wellens will not succeed or fail because of anything Cunningham did, or did not, do. I hope he gets the job at some point and that he does well, but if he fails on his bum it is nothing to do with any previous coach
    Totally different personalities. Wellens also has much more experience as an assistant than KC had. His experience includes one of the best attacking coaches we have had and probably the best defensive coach we have ever had. If he has picked up the good points from those two, he should be okay. In addition he has worked under Bennet, whom I criticised as GB coach but he can’t be criticised for his club record.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Totally different personalities. Wellens also has much more experience as an assistant than KC had. His experience includes one of the best attacking coaches we have had and probably the best defensive coach we have ever had. If he has picked up the good points from those two, he should be okay. In addition he has worked under Bennet, whom I criticised as GB coach but he can’t be criticised for his club record.
    There’s part of me that would like him to remain assistant to bring continuity to whoever comes in and whoever comes after that, but that’s a slightly selfish viewpoint.

I wonder if Wello even has designs on the head coach role or is happy to have the longevity of an assistant role?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post
    Quite. Cunningham didn’t have the benefit of learning under Holbrook and Woolf either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wellens has also worked with Bennett and Wane too

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by BackrowSaint View Post
    Wellens has also worked with Bennett and Wane too
    Wasn’t he also involved in a cross sporting coaching excellency thing through Sports England? I seem to recall it being a big deal at the time.

No evidence, but have a feeling we will see Woolf sign a new contract

Banned

Would anyone take Tony Smith? Couple of years before Wellens takes over. Teams play great rugby, good experience and proven success.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Northstand View Post
    Would anyone take Tony Smith? Couple of years before Wellens takes over. Teams play great rugby, good experience and proven success.
    Yes....me!

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

No.

I would do everything to keep Woolf for another season but allow Wellens to be "first team coach" for the most part.

I.M.O

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

And he also has no ties for next season as things stand. Knows the competition over here very well and the player pool. If the time comes that KW confirms he's leaving, I think he should be one who's considered at least.
    *Not to be confused with Mike Stephenson, MBE

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    And he also has no ties for next season as things stand. Knows the competition over here very well and the player pool. If the time comes that KW confirms he's leaving, I think he should be one who's considered at least.
    I've said on a previous thread, I'd be happy to see Wellens as head coach with Smith as some kind of mentor/director of rugby role. Think that might work and help Wellens if he is to take the biggest job in British rugby league as his first head coach position.
    Whether Smith and Wellens would be happy with that is a different matter altogether, of course...

We could do with clarification on this quite soon really though as the longer it goes on the more it could affect our season and we are a couple of months away from the business end of the season.

Even if he is going back to Aus without a coaching gig, lets announce it so everyone knows what is happening. I'd love him to stay longer but the uncertaintity is increasing with each passing day.

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    We could do with clarification on this quite soon really though as the longer it goes on the more it could affect our season and we are a couple of months away from the business end of the season.

Even if he is going back to Aus without a coaching gig, lets announce it so everyone knows what is happening. I'd love him to stay longer but the uncertaintity is increasing with each passing day.
    It's not really uncertainty though if we already know who's going to replace him and that person is already at the club. It's not as if we're stuck without a coach. I'd say that applied more when Holbrook was leaving than this time

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post

It's not really uncertainty though if we already know who's going to replace him and that person is already at the club. It's not as if we're stuck without a coach. I'd say that applied more when Holbrook was leaving than this time

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    No.

I would do everything to keep Woolf for another season but allow Wellens to be "first team coach" for the most part.

I.M.O
    Thats a possibilty if Woolf doesn't get a gig in OZ, his family could go back to OZ ready for January school term, whist he could stay here for preseason and help Wellens with the start of the season before going home in March 2023. If Wellens does become head coach then we also need to look at the assistants as well.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Two Wheeled Saint View Post
    Thanks for this. I wonder whether he is Wolfe’s successor. Or, if not, a future Saints head coach. I would like to see him do well.

Noooobie

Would Wellens have zero interest in following Woolf out to Aus?
    Genuine question, just wondering.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by samfooty88 View Post
    Would Wellens have zero interest in following Woolf out to Aus?
    Genuine question, just wondering.
    I think going of his latest interview he mentioned he has the opportunity to leave Saints in 2004 but didn't because of the success and the players he was playing with, it's very much the same coaching wise.

Starting A Programme Collection

I’ve got a sneaky feeling that Wolfe may just go round again !

In The South Stand

I like Ian Watson and reckon he’ll end up at Warrington or Leeds, though I think if pushed, I’d back Wello for the job.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
    I’ve got a sneaky feeling that Wolfe may just go round again !
    With no announcement yet I fell Wellens is being lined up to succeed.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superarch View Post
    With no announcement yet I fell Wellens is being lined up to succeed.
    Don’t think there will be any announcement until July still ongoing similar to last year.

Learning All The Songs

KW will stay for one more year..
    Roby will also go round again..

Maybe Wello himself would prefer the longevity of assistant?
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS
    Insta @christianjamescreative

Quote Originally Posted by CGSaint View Post
    Maybe Wello himself would prefer the longevity of assistant?
    If Woolf does leave I can see this sentence happening with a few words changed slightly

Noooobie

Not sure how to put a pic on here but in the papers last week over here (Gold Coast) it said that Bennett is really chasing woolf to be his assistant and has even linked up with him as the Tongan assistant coach.
    Woolf seems to be lined up with all the coaching gigs over here unfortunately

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Dannygreg View Post
    Not sure how to put a pic on here but in the papers last week over here (Gold Coast) it said that Bennett is really chasing woolf to be his assistant and has even linked up with him as the Tongan assistant coach.
    Woolf seems to be lined up with all the coaching gigs over here unfortunately
    And yet 24 hours ago Burgess was being offered the Assistant coach role at South’s to stop him taking the job at Dolphins: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/nr...-interest.html (apologies for the daily fail link)

The press, like us, are just paid to guess at this point, and others have said, it’s probably a good few months until anything is going to be decided by anyone…