Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Next coach

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I mentioned mid season we may have to lower our expectations next year as we will be in a bit of a transition if we can't get a top winger and I didn't expect Roby to go another year. On the other side of the coin who will be the other major challengers next season, Leeds perhaps and Wire can't be playing badly forever, Wigan could be in a transition next year as well. Salford will have learn't a lot over the back end of this season.

I expect a few suprises coming from our academy squad next year building into a relevant new team squad for 2024.
    Yeh all fair points mate.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Banned

I mentioned mid season we may have to lower our expectations next year as we will be in a bit of a transition if we can't get a top winger and I didn't expect Roby to go another year. On the other side of the coin who will be the other major challengers next season, Leeds perhaps and Wire can't be playing badly forever, Wigan could be in a transition next year as well. Salford will have learn't a lot over the back end of this season.

I expect a few suprises coming from our academy squad next year building into a relevant new team squad for 2024.
    Wigan will challenge for definite. Peet has proved himself this year; for all the hype about their attack and Field etc it is their defence which has been sharpened up. I think losing Briers to Brisbane is a blow.

Not sure on the rest. Dont rate Warrington at all nor their ‘Championship Manager’ approach to recruitment, I’ll stick my neck out and say Leeds have over achieved. I like Rowley and his project at Salford, but hard to keep it going with little resouces. Huddersfield need to start winning more big games to be taken seriously for a GF.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Wigan will challenge for definite. Peet has proved himself this year; for all the hype about their attack and Field etc it is their defence which has been sharpened up. I think losing Briers to Brisbane is a blow.

Not sure on the rest. Dont rate Warrington at all nor their ‘Championship Manager’ approach to recruitment, I’ll stick my neck out and say Leeds have over achieved. I like Rowley and his project at Salford, but hard to keep it going with little resouces. Huddersfield need to start winning more big games to be taken seriously for a GF.
    I’m not sure I agree Wigan will be in the challenges next year. They have had a really good year from an injuries and bounce of the ball perspective and how replicable that will be I’m not sure. The number of games they won in the last minutes has also really inflated their challenge. Then when you throw in that it seems likely that they’re losing French, and we saw how much that blunted their attack against Leeds, and puts them one injury to Field away from really struggling to score like at the end of 2021. Similarly, when you think back the the 2020 Grand Final, their defence seemed much harder to break down, and one of their key defensive links is retiring in Leuluai and I’m not sure either Cust or Smith (who Leeds seemed to target a lot) have particularly strong defence. Even worse, unusually, they seem to have an incredibly mediocre batch in the academy at the moment so it’s not like they can do their usual rabbit out of a hat either. I could easily see Huddersfield and Leeds over taking them next year, even whilst agreeing Leeds have benefitted from new coach syndrome giving them a really good run of form…

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    I’m not sure I agree Wigan will be in the challenges next year. They have had a really good year from an injuries and bounce of the ball perspective and how replicable that will be I’m not sure. The number of games they won in the last minutes has also really inflated their challenge. Then when you throw in that it seems likely that they’re losing French, and we saw how much that blunted their attack against Leeds, and puts them one injury to Field away from really struggling to score like at the end of 2021. Similarly, when you think back the the 2020 Grand Final, their defence seemed much harder to break down, and one of their key defensive links is retiring in Leuluai and I’m not sure either Cust or Smith (who Leeds seemed to target a lot) have particularly strong defence. Even worse, unusually, they seem to have an incredibly mediocre batch in the academy at the moment so it’s not like they can do their usual rabbit out of a hat either. I could easily see Huddersfield and Leeds over taking them next year, even whilst agreeing Leeds have benefitted from new coach syndrome giving them a really good run of form…
    In fairness to Wigans academy, they've pretty much chucked all their best players into the reserves who are performing very well.

Quote Originally Posted by BackrowSaint View Post
    In fairness to Wigans academy, they've pretty much chucked all their best players into the reserves who are performing very well.
    Very true. Their Reserves are unbeaten all season and play Wakefield in the GF today.

Nsemba will be a superstar and will play first team next season and they have others like Eckersley and Hill that will be first team in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BackrowSaint View Post
    They have. Their reserves battered Saints reserves this year too. Its hard to get away from the fact that they appear that they are trending the right way. MS mentions about French leaving but is he? The longer it goes on the more doubtful it is. I think Peet has done a great job there; he will have a number of you g players to bring on next year. They have had a number of late wins but my view is that if that becomes something you fall on the right side of then it is a net benefit. It just builds confidence you can get the job done in a close contest.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    They have. Their reserves battered Saints reserves this year too. Its hard to get away from the fact that they appear that they are trending the right way. MS mentions about French leaving but is he? The longer it goes on the more doubtful it is. I think Peet has done a great job there; he will have a number of you g players to bring on next year. They have had a number of late wins but my view is that if that becomes something you fall on the right side of then it is a net benefit. It just builds confidence you can get the job done in a close contest.
    Peer deserves a lot of respect

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

So the players want Wellens, Woolf wants Wellens and Wellens wants Wellens. Announcement due fairly soon you’d think.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Noooobie

I'm honestly happy with 4 in a row let's have a rebuild...a rest..give one of the other melts a chance at the big one. It was obvious that most others would point to all the other tenuous reasons we've done the 4....let em chat their S#%T we know what it's took to be here and that's all that matters.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Alshep View Post
    I'm honestly happy with 4 in a row let's have a rebuild...a rest..give one of the other melts a chance at the big one. It was obvious that most others would point to all the other tenuous reasons we've done the 4....let em chat their S#%T we know what it's took to be here and that's all that matters.
    Nope, never, nada. We can’t let Roby go out like that. Let him and Wellens put “5 in a Row” right, and build a platform for Lomax to lead into 2024. Pay the price it takes to get Murphy in to replace Grace, bring Ritson in for cover, and get Dodd back into the team. The next generation are coming through in Bennison, Wingfield, Buckley, Archer etc and they will all continue to put pressure on everyone to perform

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

I said a year ago that everybody at the club should be thinking we could do 5 on the spin, because why the hell not? If we didn't do it, no big deal, we've won more than enough with this group, but why not aim for it. So a year on, I'll say it again, only now it's fairly obvious, we want to win the league next season, regardless of the last 4 years. We can rebuild after that maybe!

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    I said a year ago that everybody at the club should be thinking we could do 5 on the spin, because why the hell not? If we didn't do it, no big deal, we've won more than enough with this group, but why not aim for it. So a year on, I'll say it again, only now it's fairly obvious, we want to win the league next season, regardless of the last 4 years. We can rebuild after that maybe!
    I reckon we should just rest and rotate our players all year, give Roby plenty of games off and finish fourth or fifth. In the last couple of games start to get a roll on for the finals and hit our straps for the GF. I'm being a facetious, but we have the best squad by quite a way and could probably afford to do it.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    There's absolutely no reason why not and especially so when you consider the challengers...

Watching Leeds tonight, they lack some firepower. Having Harry Newman, Sezer and Fusitu'a back will improve them of course but will be interesting to see what else they do in the market (I know they've signed Sangare and a young player from Wigan). Rohan Smith, given his background may know of a few gems from the QLD Cup, who knows?

Wigan do have lots of firepower and have shown they can beat Saints this year. I do think they need to strengthen up front though and wonder if the big contract for French hinders that? I note Reacher on here has said they have some very good young players in their reserves, so that will be one to keep an eye on to see if any of these can step up to SL next year.

Warrington have signed some good players and if they can get a new half in as well to partner Williams, that will give them a chance of being a contender at least.

Not sure on Catalan, they have lost a big player for them in Kasiano but have got Taukieaho to replace him (different style of play mind). They've an ageing spine. They do have a quota spot available and do seem to be able to attract some (relative) big names from the NRL.

Don't see Huddersfield improving on this year.

For Saints, having Dodd back in the side and in such a pivotal position, will be like have a new signing. Hopefully he can show what he was doing at the start of this season and isn't hampered by the achilles injury. If so, Saints will be settled in the key positions. Even so, would like to see some activity in the market to freshen the squad and not rest on laurels.
    *Not to be confused with Mike Stephenson, MBE

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    There's absolutely no reason why not and especially so when you consider the challengers...

Watching Leeds tonight, they lack some firepower. Having Harry Newman, Sezer and Fusitu'a back will improve them of course but will be interesting to see what else they do in the market (I know they've signed Sangare and a young player from Wigan). Rohan Smith, given his background may know of a few gems from the QLD Cup, who knows?

Wigan do have lots of firepower and have shown they can beat Saints this year. I do think they need to strengthen up front though and wonder if the big contract for French hinders that? I note Reacher on here has said they have some very good young players in their reserves, so that will be one to keep an eye on to see if any of these can step up to SL next year.

Warrington have signed some good players and if they can get a new half in as well to partner Williams, that will give them a chance of being a contender at least.

Not sure on Catalan, they have lost a big player for them in Kasiano but have got Taukieaho to replace him (different style of play mind). They've an ageing spine. They do have a quota spot available and do seem to be able to attract some (relative) big names from the NRL.

Don't see Huddersfield improving on this year.

For Saints, having Dodd back in the side and in such a pivotal position, will be like have a new signing. Hopefully he can show what he was doing at the start of this season and isn't hampered by the achilles injury. If so, Saints will be settled in the key positions. Even so, would like to see some activity in the market to freshen the squad and not rest on laurels.
    I agree. I hope we sign a good winger and bring through some more like Bennison. I hope Wellens gets the job and gets a good assistant

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by djh1972 View Post
    I reckon we should just rest and rotate our players all year, give Roby plenty of games off and finish fourth or fifth. In the last couple of games start to get a roll on for the finals and hit our straps for the GF. I'm being a facetious, but we have the best squad by quite a way and could probably afford to do it.
    Yes, if we don't have injuries on the same scale as last year I can see Bettison playing a lot more and we will see Archer, Delaney, Corkhill playing quite a few more games to rest up Lomax, Walmsley and Knowles.

Learning All The Songs

Yes, if we don't have injuries on the same scale as last year I can see Bettison playing a lot more and we will see Archer, Delaney, Corkhill playing quite a few more games to rest up Lomax, Walmsley and Knowles.
    I hope Wingfield gets more games next year. He looks like an excellent potential loose forward. I don't know anything about Corkhill really.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    I hope Wingfield gets more games next year. He looks like an excellent potential loose forward. I don't know anything about Corkhill really.
    He reminds me of Kieron Cunningham, very explosive in attack and defence and good passing game doesn't play at No 9 but he could be developed into that role. At the moment Pemberton is being developed there.

Learning All The Songs

He reminds me of Kieron Cunningham, very explosive in attack and defence and good passing game doesn't play at No 9 but he could be developed into that role. At the moment Pemberton is being developed there.
    That sounds good

Got A Season Ticket

Nope, never, nada. We can’t let Roby go out like that. Let him and Wellens put “5 in a Row” right, and build a platform for Lomax to lead into 2024. Pay the price it takes to get Murphy in to replace Grace, bring Ritson in for cover, and get Dodd back into the team. The next generation are coming through in Bennison, Wingfield, Buckley, Archer etc and they will all continue to put pressure on everyone to perform
    Cannot see Ritson leaving Barrow to be a cover, he is now in his prime years and being super fit will want to be spending these yrs playing.

Hurrell came to Saints as cover so you never know

I don’t want to be rude to Barrow but given the choice between St Helens and Barrow I have to assume most players would choose Saints

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    Hurrell came to Saints as cover so you never know

I don’t want to be rude to Barrow but given the choice between St Helens and Barrow I have to assume most players would choose Saints
    Totally different scenario, being in full time employment and being first name on the team sheet and a huge name in the division you are playing. SL is not the be all and end all. The lure needs to be there to entice successful home grown players.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Johnathon Doe View Post
    Totally different scenario, being in full time employment and being first name on the team sheet and a huge name in the division you are playing. SL is not the be all and end all. The lure needs to be there to entice successful home grown players.
    Joe Batchelor, James Bentley and Alex Walmsley say hi. Non of them came in first choice straight off the bat, they had to work and continue to develop, and when they got the opportunity grab hold of it with both hands.

Got A Season Ticket

Joe Batchelor, James Bentley and Alex Walmsley say hi. Non of them came in first choice straight off the bat, they had to work and continue to develop, and when they got the opportunity grab hold of it with both hands.
    Bentley already was a full time SL player, Walmsley was still only around 23/24 when he signed? and Batchelor was around 24? 27 isnt the age to be sitting in the shaddows for a couple of years when you could be playing every week elsewhere. That is presuming that he wants to move or has actually been approached? It's currently all rumour.