Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 21 man squad v Toulouse

Just seen the tries, some good tries in there. Nice to see Grace back on the scoresheet, and some nice glimpses from Welsby at 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Indeed. I'm going watching Top Gun instead
    That’s what I did, mostly to avoid the shitty Jubilee events

Top Gun 2 was surprisingly awesome

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post

Not a fan of the monarch then?

Watched Woolf’s press conference.

How on earth did we get to the airport at 8:30 and only arrive in Toulouse at 7:30 pm?

11 hrs travelling? WTF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post

How on earth did we get to the airport at 8:30 and only arrive in Toulouse at 7:30 pm?

11 hrs travelling? WTF

Probably why the match officials never managed to get over to France. Problem at Manchester airport with flights and the officials ended up stranded in Munich.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    Not a fan of the monarch then?
    Nope. Bankrolling Andrew out of his “problems” is just one of many issues I have with the Queen

A vile bunch of miscreants

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Think most of us would have taken that result given our last result there and we’ve a couple of returning players plus a new 1/6/7 combination.
    Yep. I'll take that. Onto next week

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post

Same. I've avoided it all weekend by working and getting out of an afternoon/evening.

It was very good. I enjoyed it immensely

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    On the saints match centre it does sound as though we are not getting anything from the French officials. Apparentely penalty against Grace for making a great tackle.
    Was at the game. IMO I just think the ref was a little out of his depth. No anti English thing. As for game it seemed at times like our first game here which I was also at. Periods where we looked a bit leggy and lost for ideas. Defended well considering repeat sets we had to deal with. But there was a determination not to lose. Good atmosphere from fans. Have to say nowhere near as many Toulouse fans as first game. But a win. Hurrell dancing with the fans after game was really funny..
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Was at the game. IMO I just think the ref was a little out of his depth. No anti English thing. As for game it seemed at times like our first game here which I was also at. Periods where we looked a bit leggy and lost for ideas. Defended well considering repeat sets we had to deal with. But there was a determination not to lose. Good atmosphere from fans. Have to say nowhere near as many Toulouse fans as first game. But a win. Hurrell dancing with the fans after game was really funny..
    I,ve only seen a few video clips but it looked as though a French Forward Pass was not a forward pass and an English Forward pass was a forward pass. How was our completion rate and execution last time out we very poor in those departments, looked as though Grace was decent in both attack and defence.

Penalty count seemed a bit lobsided 12 - 4 in favour of Toulouse.
    Last edited by STIDDY; 5th June 2022 at 08:09.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    I make the penalty count 9-1 to Toulouse, before even considering the 2 tries disallowed
    If we're constantly committing infringements, should the referee ignore them to keep the penalty count close?

We are going to struggle in attack with Welsby having to play 7 & Lomax with a knackered bicep at 6.

I am really surprised we haven't brought a scrum half in

Got A Season Ticket

We are going to struggle in attack with Welsby having to play 7 & Lomax with a knackered bicep at 6.

I guess George Williams isn't available? I have read he is world class, and therefore would be an upgrade on Welsby
    Last edited by Stevo's Knockonathon; 5th June 2022 at 10:20.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

I didn't see it that way, we scored five tries four of which where in the backs, Knowles' try was from distance too (as well as an interception)

We made plenty of breaks up the middle and could have scored a few more if it wasn't for some poor decisions (not meant as a criticism of the ref - he was clearly put in an awful position)

Hopoate also had a few good touches with the ball.

I don't think we need another signing, other than for cover - which seems a waste

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    I didn't see it that way, we scored five tries four of which where in the backs, Knowles' try was from distance too (as well as an interception)

We made plenty of breaks up the middle and could have scored a few more if it wasn't for some poor decisions (not meant as a criticism of the ref - he was clearly put in an awful position)

Hopoate also had a few good touches with the ball.

I don't think we need another signing, other than for cover - which seems a waste
    You know what, fair enough. I'm going to stop getting a nark on about it & see how it pans out

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo's Knockonathon View Post
    I guess George Williams isn't available? I have read he is world class, and therefore would be an upgrade on Welsby
    Hahaha. I'd have probably asked him to sign. Probably why I'm nowhere a coaching role of any sort in any sport

I was there and the referee did fine. I was on the half way line and most of his decisions were sensible. There was no overthinking from him. He just gave the decisions that were obvious. Years of Stuart Cummings interpretations has got us thinking that the way the game has to be complicated.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Regarding the game itself. We played well, good defence and good shape. Hopoate was good at fullback, very solid, he never looked like dropping anything and was very direct in his kick returns. Grace looked dangerous and our pack were pretty dominant.

Toulouse are a pretty reasonable team. They looked far from the worst team in the league.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post

11 hrs travelling? WTF

Guessing got to airport early as they were on a commercial flight to give plenty of time to get through security, check in etc. Then transferring from Carcassonne

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by southernsaint7 View Post
    Guessing got to airport early as they were on a commercial flight to give plenty of time to get through security, check in etc. Then transferring from Carcassonne
    France an hour in front so only ten hours..

But you're right, nightmare with planes at the moment - then the flight, baggage collection, then an hour from Carcassonne.

10 hours easily done

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    Regarding the game itself. We played well, good defence and good shape. Hopoate was good at fullback, very solid, he never looked like dropping anything and was very direct in his kick returns. Grace looked dangerous and our pack were pretty dominant.

Toulouse are a pretty reasonable team. They looked far from the worst team in the league.
    Wakefield managed a golden point win against Hull today, it's going to be difficult for Toulouse to stay up.

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    Wakefield managed a golden point win against Hull today, it's going to be difficult for Toulouse to stay up.
    And another opportunity will be lost in the interests of 'fairness', ie another m62 club having their umpteenth chance before going down again

Banned

They seem to put in their best performances against the better sides.

They've played more away than home games and they have games coming up that are, on paper, winnable (Cas, Leeds, HKR, Salford at home plus Wakey away)

They need to start picking up points, though.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Seen the highlights... another two try assists in there for Jake Connor. I'm not sure how quickly the stats are updated but he's already almost got as many as Drinkwater got last year (Drinkwater got the most assists last season). Picked up a knee injury apparently though and could have a spell on the sidelines.

Good to see Regan Grace back and scoring a try in the Saints highlights.
    *Not to be confused with Mike Stephenson, MBE

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Was interesting to see the line up for the Saints game and as anticipated Hopoate played at full back. Welsby in the halves, his 'more natural position'- KW said. Scored a good try, running the ball and threatening the line.
    Last edited by Mike Stephenson; 6th June 2022 at 00:26.
    *Not to be confused with Mike Stephenson, MBE