Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Most memorable Saints moments in SL era

Learning All The Songs

Default Most memorable Saints moments in SL era

Bit of fun

Your most memorable moment good and bad (only choose 1 for each)

Good - Cunningham try in the dying moments at the very ast game at Knowsley Road. So fitting for one of our greatest players.

Bad - Newton attack on Gilmour and Long in the same game. And if I remember rightly never even got a yellow?
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS
    Insta @christianjamescreative

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Good - 2014 grand final. Just such an amazing feeling after losing 5 on the bounce and it was on my birthday as well. One of my favourite ever days.

Bad - 2009 grand final. Out of all of the ones we lost that one hurt the most for whatever reason. I’ve been upset after defeats before but I was genuinely angry after that one.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Christ an off season thread in May!!

Good - 2000 grand final. My first experience of us beating Wigan in a final.

Bad - 2011 grand final
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Good - 2019 beating Wigan to get to the 2019 final.

Bad - 2019 Challenge Cup Final.

Having only started following Saints really just the season before the new stadium opened ive not really alot to choose from

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    Good - 2019 beating Wigan to get to the 2019 final.

Bad - 2019 Challenge Cup Final.

Having only started following Saints really just the season before the new stadium opened ive not really alot to choose from
    Still got more to pick from than 60 years of supporting Warrington

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BackrowSaint View Post
    Still got more to pick from than 60 years of supporting Warrington
    That is very true

Banned

Good: The 1996 Challenge Cup Final
    Spent my growing up years suffering from having to watch our hated neighbours sweeping all before them and the accompanying media love-in about them, whilst we had to make do with scraps. I'd been to three CCF's and seen us lose every single one.
    After racing into a lead in this one, I was thinking "here we go a-f*cking-gain" and pondering that we were cursed, when Goulding began the carpet-bombing of the hapless Nathan Graham.
    The sheer elation and relief at the end was unbelievable. It really felt like the new era that it was.

Bad: 2008 Grand Final

After getting mugged by Leeds the year before (they totally outplayed us on the night and I think we were too over-confident), 2008 offered us a chance for revenge. And it was the last game in charge for Daniel Anderson, who I loved as our coach, and who deserved the best of send-offs. A combination of a couple of dodgy decisions and all the luck going in Leeds' favour, and I felt utterly bereft. It hit me more than any other final loss for some reason, apart from perhaps the '87 CCF (and felt like the end of a golden era)

Learning All The Songs

75 Nil nuff said

Wello scoring 4 against the Pies at Cardiff.

Got A Season Ticket

Sean long attempting to kick a goal with Bernards head on (ref stopped him I recall) , then Baloo kicking a last second touchline conversion against Leeds :-) priceless

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Spent my growing up years suffering from having to watch our hated neighbours sweeping all before them and the accompanying media love-in about them, whilst we had to make do with scraps. I'd been to three CCF's and seen us lose every single one.
    After racing into a lead in this one, I was thinking "here we go a-f*cking-gain" and pondering that we were cursed, when Goulding began the carpet-bombing of the hapless Nathan Graham.
    The sheer elation and relief at the end was unbelievable. It really felt like the new era that it was.

Bad: 2008 Grand Final

After getting mugged by Leeds the year before (they totally outplayed us on the night and I think we were too over-confident), 2008 offered us a chance for revenge. And it was the last game in charge for Daniel Anderson, who I loved as our coach, and who deserved the best of send-offs. A combination of a couple of dodgy decisions and all the luck going in Leeds' favour, and I felt utterly bereft. It hit me more than any other final loss for some reason, apart from perhaps the '87 CCF (and felt like the end of a golden era)
    I agree with every word.

For anyone who had followed saints through the barren years of the 80's and 3 final defeats in 5 years, the 96 final meant the world. And when Apollo scored at the end I was an absolute mess!

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

Good 1996 Final. for all the reasons above. In addition I was sat in amongst all the Bradford fans, took all their sh*t and just kept saying we'll see whose here at the end, with what seemed false bravado. Then waving them goodbye.
    Bad: The Cunningham era. Seeing a legend lose the respect of the majority of fans and I would say also a few of the players.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

Good? I would’ve said “Wide to West” followed by Longy with Bernard’s head but it has to be Jack Welsby’s Try in the 2020 Grand Final. Sitting in my lounge watching on TV after months of lockdown, the depressing reports all over TV and the general media, the sheer elation of winning in such dramatic fashion after what was an absolutely enthralling war of attrition. My spirits were truly lifted, it was even sweeter as it was against Wigan and the whole “Never Write off the Saints” feeling I had for weeks afterwards, even in such testing times.

Bad?

KC’s tenure.

The loss against Catalans in April 2016. I knew at that moment KC just wasn’t the right coach for us. Legend as a player but just out of his depth and by getting to the playoffs in 15 and 16 the cracks were papered over.

I believe we should have been in finals with the team we had.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Learning All The Songs

Good - 2014 grand final win, beating Wigan with a team wrecked by so many injuries thanks to a neanderthal losing it, finally ending the run of 5 final defeats in a row and winning our first since 2006.

Bad - 2018 semi final loss, that team deserved a grand final, we had been so dominant all year, finishing 10 points clear of 2nd before the split to the super 8’s.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    [B]
    I couldn't agree more. I attended all those games, I even Queued all night drunk for tickets at Knowsley Road for one of them (maybe the first can't remember). So finally winning was the most amazing feeling. Bobby Goulding was incredible as player & leader that day.

Bad:
    The loss to Leeds (I know there were so many) where Shenton injured his elbow. We were winning and they didn't look like scoring then Burrow came on and ran through the defence where Shenton should have been and had been so solid to win them the game!

Got A Season Ticket Injury Crisis 2010's Avatar

Good: The 2004 Challenge cup final in Cardiff, great atmosphere.

Bad: The 1989 Challenge cup final 0-27, I lived in Germany at the time and spent lots on return flights hotels etc and always remember the goons taunting us after the match singing easy easy. I was convinced we had a team to break that Wigan dominance of the 80's, came so close on many occasions.

Starting A Programme Collection Saintsaregods's Avatar

Good: 1996 CCF, I’d been to every CCF we’d been in since ‘78 and watched them lose every one. To witness that comeback brought me to tears, I’d finally broken my hoodoo.

Bad: have to say the Cunningham era also, I thought we had the dream team with long and KC was my favourite player. So sad to see him tarnish that legacy.

Starting A Programme Collection

The 1996 final no question ! What a day . The heat , the fans and arguably the Greatest final ever ; Certainly from our point of view !

The worst is probably 87 . Utter disappointment as a young lad and first time seeing saints at Wembley . All we had to do it lift the cup and we cocked it up !

Got A Season Ticket Jack Reacher's Avatar

Good - last game of the 1996 season when we put 60 odd on Warrington at KR before the presentation of the inaugral Super League trophy

Worst - Murrayfield. CC final v Wigan. Just didn't show up.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Good - The 2014 Grand Final without doubt, we never had a chance in the build up.

Bad - I have two, Saints Grand Final 2011 was probably the most disappointing of them all, losing wellens and then shenton was sickening. Away from Saints, England vs New Zealand at Wembley in 2013. I was absolutely gutted at Wembley, probably more so than saints because I've grown up knowing with Saints we'll probably be back next year