Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 12345671323 ... LastLast

Thread: Wire

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    Rumoured only by a few NRL lovers on here, completely denied by the club they were ever interested in him.
    We were very interested in him.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Austin was unplayable when fit and first arrived, and was still an influence on beating Saints at Wembley while sat in the stand, on a stick.
    Widdop was the current England 6
    Williams was the current England 7
    Inglis was a risk, but the boost for SL would have been tremendous, if it hadn’t been for c-19 and the risk paid off.

I’ve a strong feeling that Thewlis will be Wire No1 and Dufty will be 6. He’s been playing 1 and even centre, but for me he’s a 6 all day long. Just as Lomax was.
    Last edited by rubber duckie; 17th May 2022 at 11:43.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by rubber duckie View Post
    King isn’t on a big deal, Wire offered him a modest increase and called his and Wigan’s bluff, as Wigan say they are interested in every player connected to Wire to maximise cap spend. Wigan went quiet on King and no one came in for him, he re-signed, tail between his legs.
    As for Dufty only being good enough to light up the bottom half of the league…he backed out of a deal with Saints last season for the Doggies.
    …and 6/7 only take up £300k of cap, Just saying.
    At least your good for a laugh on here !
    King is on a huge contract like Widdop & Williams except the latter are both the marquee reduced cap level so your right they only take up £300K (though based on their performances they're not even worth £30K). Same with Daz Clarke, he signed a massive new contract with them last time when Leeds came sniffing around.

As for Dufty, dont believe the garbage written on here sometimes and whats in the Aussie press. They kept claiming Dufty was signing for Saints to replace Coote. What the useless press never bothered to check was that Saints had already said that they were going to give Welsby his chance at 1 for 2022. So it just proved they made the whole story up.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    At least your good for a laugh on here !
    King is on a huge contract like Widdop & Williams except the latter are both the marquee reduced cap level so your right they only take up £300K (though based on their performances they're not even worth £30K). Same with Daz Clarke, he signed a massive new contract with them last time when Leeds came sniffing around.

As for Dufty, dont believe the garbage written on here sometimes and whats in the Aussie press. They kept claiming Dufty was signing for Saints to replace Coote. What the useless press never bothered to check was that Saints had already said that they were going to give Welsby his chance at 1 for 2022. So it just proved they made the whole story up.
    I’m not going to argue against the rise of Welsby, wether chance or not, it certainly has worked out great for Saints and maybe England.
    As for King on a big contract, you just contradicted your own post by saying don’t believe all the press talk.
    I didn’t read the press talk on King, but I know Wire called his bluff, he got a take it or leave it deal.
    He was holding out and his agent put it out there Wigan are interested. Wire owners are businessmen don’t like that kind of deal. He didn’t get any big deal. I heard his new deal had a 10k raise. Still a 10k pay rise isn’t to be sniffed at.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Kakariki View Post
    I think saying Powell needs time to build his own team is being overplayed. He was announced as the new Wire coach very early last season and I'm sure he would have been consulted somewhat on transfer and squad matters. He even brought in two players from Cas so he is already shaping the team as he wants it.
    I presume that he also didn’t want Lee Briers as assistant, which may have been a mistake. It’s certainly a mistake in that Briers is probably having an influence on Wigan’s resurgence.

Starting A Programme Collection newport dave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kakariki View Post
    I think saying Powell needs time to build his own team is being overplayed. He was announced as the new Wire coach very early last season and I'm sure he would have been consulted somewhat on transfer and squad matters. He even brought in two players from Cas so he is already shaping the team as he wants it.
    Didn't he bring in Bullock, Holmes & Matau'tia. Hardly top class players to be bringing in. None would get anywhere near Saints team..

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
    Still in Newport....still no nearer home.........

Starting A Programme Collection newport dave's Avatar

O/T.
    God bless Maurice Lyndsey, he was a thorn in our sides, but still the driving force behind the expansion and success of the hame, and the man behind SL.
    Also the reason the pies nearly went to the wall, and are now rent boys..

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
    Still in Newport....still no nearer home.........

Austin was unplayable when fit and first arrived, and was still an influence on beating Saints at Wembley while sat in the stand, on a stick.
    Widdop was the current England 6
    Williams was the current England 7
    Inglis was a risk, but the boost for SL would have been tremendous, if it hadn’t been for c-19 and the risk paid off.

I’ve a strong feeling that Thewlis will be Wire No1 and Dufty will be 6. He’s been playing 1 and even centre, but for me he’s a 6 all day long. Just as Lomax was.

I hope you are right and Wire follow Saints lead in trusting in the youth. I happen to know some of Josh Thewlis’ family as they are from my area and he was outstanding at Waterhead as an amateur but if I could be so bold, “Use him or lose him” because there are plenty of other teams where he’d be a superstar. He is the answer, not yet another NRL reject.

Having said that……

Austin was so good you were better with him in the stands. Fact.

Widdop is a poor man’s Fages, regardless of being an England player.

Williams progress remains to be seen but he seems a shadow of the player he was in the NRL. A bit like Inglis. And Widdop….. (and Dufty?)

Inglis I was genuinely disappointed that he came for a holiday and pocket money. He was unfit, overweight, disinterested and imho tarnished his legacy for a few quid. It was nothing to do with Covid, and all on his shoulders when he made little or no effort to get fit and earn his corn however I’m most disappointed because I would have loved to see him play “live” at close quarters as I did with Andrew Johns, as opposed to seeing them at Old Trafford or Wembley nowhere near the action.

But it’s ok, sign Dufty/A.N.Other Aussie mercenary and ignore the pack. Wire have been doing that since Morley left really….
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    I hope you are right and Wire follow Saints lead in trusting in the youth. I happen to know some of Josh Thewlis’ family as they are from my area and he was outstanding at Waterhead as an amateur but if I could be so bold, “Use him or lose him” because there are plenty of other teams where he’d be a superstar. He is the answer, not yet another NRL reject.

Having said that……

Austin was so good you were better with him in the stands. Fact.

Widdop is a poor man’s Fages, regardless of being an England player.

Williams progress remains to be seen but he seems a shadow of the player he was in the NRL. A bit like Inglis. And Widdop….. (and Dufty?)

Inglis I was genuinely disappointed that he came for a holiday and pocket money. He was unfit, overweight, disinterested and imho tarnished his legacy for a few quid. It was nothing to do with Covid, and all on his shoulders when he made little or no effort to get fit and earn his corn however I’m most disappointed because I would have loved to see him play “live” at close quarters as I did with Andrew Johns, as opposed to seeing them at Old Trafford or Wembley nowhere near the action.

But it’s ok, sign Dufty/A.N.Other Aussie mercenary and ignore the pack. Wire have been doing that since Morley left really….

Widdop is, along with Josh Hodgson, one of the most overated players of the last 10 years.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Widdop is, along with Josh Hodgson, one of the most overated players of the last 10 years.
    Well he’s in the squad for Thursday, so if Wire get thrashed and Widdop looks so underwhelming, you’ll get a Chufty badge.

Got A Season Ticket

Well he’s in the squad for Thursday, so if Wire get thrashed and Widdop looks so underwhelming, you’ll get a Chufty badge.
    I think you need to replace if with when... Keep it tidy.

Is it true that over on RL Fans you are the lone (and I mean lone….) voice saying you think that Wire will turn St Helens over, and that you think they didn’t play that badly against Catalans, keeping their pack quiet “for an hour”

.I’m basing my theory on the points that Wire kept a huge Cats pack quiet for nearly an hour,

(You do know the game is 80 mins?)

Asking for a friend (who has swallowed his tongue laughing……..!)
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    They fell into the “good players in the NRL” therefore must be far better than anyone in Superleague bracket. You still get it now, anybody with a hint of English who is a regular in an NRL team must play for England, because they must be sooooo much better than the players over here.

Of course if they were that good they would be pushing for a Kangaroo jersey, not looking for easy international honours.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo's Knockonathon View Post
    I think you need to replace if with when... Keep it tidy.
    If we don't win by 20, I'll be disappointed.

Wire are garbage

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

From what I've seen of Warrington on TV it's prop forwards that Warrington need.

I'm looking forward to Thursday, last years game at HJ was one of the best of the season, Saints will most probably be too strong for them but with all the chopping and changing of positions it may give Wire a remote chance if they give the ball some air.

Most probably similar to the Hull game, we'll have too much power up front for them

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    If we don't win by 20, I'll be disappointed.

Wire are garbage
    And if Saints don’t win by 20+?

Even the bookies don’t agree with you, the biggest I’ve seen is +12.
    Thursday could be your lucky day.

And if Saints don’t win by 20+?

Even the bookies don’t agree with you, the biggest I’ve seen is +12.
    Thursday could be your lucky day.
    If we don't give you a hiding, I'll be miffed. I expect us to turn up and do a job Thursday. 30-10 something like that

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    We were very interested in him.
    Lucky escape then but that said, almost anyone who goes to the Bulldogs suffers a decline. A train wreck of a club.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Not on the subject of the game, but a pretty inspirational read from Peter Matautia on sky sports today

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-leag...an-help-others

Learning All The Songs

Charnley confirmed as leaving them at the end of the season

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    Wonder if their fans will bake him a farewell cake - made with razor blades and anthrax

Starting A Programme Collection Saintsaregods's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Wonder if their fans will bake him a farewell cake - made with razor blades and anthrax
    I’ve heard that on his last day, as he drives away from the ground, the fans will give him their traditional 21 brick salute.

Got A Season Ticket

Entered in error

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    Going saints as Regans replacement ����

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by A.O.88 View Post
    Going saints as Regans replacement ����

Don't.