Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jack Welsby

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    I have to say at this moment in time, I'd take Field over Welsby as my full back. Perhaps important to say that both are learning the position, neither have played consistently at full back until this season. I guess it comes down to what you like to see from a full back and for me, it's X-factor. I commented in the other thread that Welsby showed great speed in chasing back French and it would be great to see him use that speed more with ball in hand. I can only really remember a super try away against Hull FC I think it was, last season when he did. Field has done it several times this year and made a huge difference to Wigan's attack. I'm not sure Welbsy does the same if he was in Wigan's team, from what we've seen so far. I'd want Welsby somewhere in my 17 though!

Thing to say about Field as well, is that he actually has the same number of assists as Lomax, so he does have that in his repertoire, just more often than not, he can just score the try himself. Again, it comes down to what you like to see and I'm consistent in my view if nothing else- I said that I'd still take Ben Barba over Lachlan Coote, when that debate was going on. Barba made it fun to watch Saints again for me. Magical player. If Ben Barba put his hand down a toilet, he'd pull out a gold watch- Phil Gould

I also think Liam Farrell gets in this Saints team and the first choice 13 too. Been a top SL player for a number of years.
    I think you’re wrong. Welsby has more desire, more speed of thought, more of a rugby brain than Field can dream of.

When the Wigan supporter listed their players I said I’d take Farrell but to be fair to him I think he’s a one team player. He’s Wigan through and through and so that argument is pure fantasy.

P. S. Unlike Farrell, I think Field will be off to the NRL if he manages to impress them. But, if he’s as good as you say, why hasn’t he managed to cut it there already?
    Last edited by Suttoner; 9th May 2022 at 22:14. Reason: PS

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    But what we have to rave about is the fact that Welsby managed to chase Bevan French down, execute a difficult ankle tap, get to his feet and, with Bachelor racing in to assist, tackle him again. For me, Welsby is head and shoulders better than Field as a rounded rugby player. I’m not knocking Field because speedsters are impressive but Welsby is an exceptional talent.
    Think I’d rather have the Field tackle instead of a dumb play by us and cover defence where someone had to take one for the team and get a sin binning, tbh.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Think I’d rather have the Field tackle instead of a dumb play by us and cover defence where someone had to take one for the team and get a sin binning, tbh.
    Definitely from the point of view of the fixture but chasing French back, getting a hand to his ankle and then getting quickly to his feet to go after him again is an example of Welsby’s determination and desire to win just as much as his chasing down Tommy Makinson’s drop goal attempt. And the thread is, after all, about Welsby. I think we have much the same point of view about Field’s tackle but I think Welsby is the better player. The individual posting as Mike Stephenson would take Field as full back over Welsby. I wouldn’t even though I don’t know whether full back will ultimately be Welsby’s best position.

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

I think you’re wrong. Welsby has more desire, more speed of thought, more of a rugby brain than Field can dream of.

When the Wigan supporter listed their players I said I’d take Farrell but to be fair to him I think he’s a one team player. He’s Wigan through and through and so that argument is pure fantasy.
    Spot on

There are many occasions this season where Field has simply given up on plays, the one that most springs to mind is the Bachelor disallowed try on Good Friday. There are several other occasions where he seems not even to try to get near a player to attempt a tackle. I'd take players with the commitment and desire like Welsby, Farrell or Knowles any day of the week.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I agree, Field for me is a lazy defender and is slow at a defensive read, as I mentioned before he also has an atrocious slow passing game. Yes, he is an exciting player in open space but most of that has been courtesy of a Bateman offload or a Farrell inside drop off. Still think he is a Quinlan type of player but a bit quicker over 20 metres. He's hyped up to the eyeballs at the moment because the media think an attacking full back is a be all and end all.

For Welsby he could play all along the backline and loose forward and still be very effective, the problem for him at the moment is covering those 2 positions in the game its diluting that effectiveness.

Learning All The Songs

Welsby has always had speed. He is a cert for international honours. My only concern is the number of hard matches he has had at a young age. No chance of him having a breather so to speak.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Definitely from the point of view of the fixture but chasing French back, getting a hand to his ankle and then getting quickly to his feet to go after him again is an example of Welsby’s determination and desire to win just as much as his chasing down Tommy Makinson’s drop goal attempt. And the thread is, after all, about Welsby. I think we have much the same point of view about Field’s tackle but I think Welsby is the better player. The individual posting as Mike Stephenson would take Field as full back over Welsby. I wouldn’t even though I don’t know whether full back will ultimately be Welsby’s best position.
    Dead right.