Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Chantelle Crowl autobiography

Noooobie

Default Chantelle Crowl autobiography

Just a quick note to say I'll be publishing Chantelle's autobiography later this year. As I'm sure many of you know, Channy is one of the best players in the women's game, and she'll be playing for Saints against Leeds in Saturday's Challenge Cup Final.

Her life story is truly remarkable, as I'm learning with every chapter she sends me.

I'll post again near to publication with more details.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I often wondered what was the meaning of the gorilla tattoo.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Richard de la Rivière View Post
    Just a quick note to say I'll be publishing Chantelle's autobiography later this year. As I'm sure many of you know, Channy is one of the best players in the women's game, and she'll be playing for Saints against Leeds in Saturday's Challenge Cup Final.

Her life story is truly remarkable, as I'm learning with every chapter she sends me.

I'll post again near to publication with more details.
    Yup, sign me up for that, sounds interesting.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I often wondered what was the meaning of the gorilla tattoo.
    Here's an interview I did with Channy and Carrie Roberts last December. She explains it in this.

https://www.totalrl.com/st-helens-tr...ality-battles/

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby View Post
    Will it be available for Kindle? I'd read it if so.
    I'll look into this and get back to you

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Yup, sign me up for that, sounds interesting.
    Great stuff, thank you!

Learning All The Songs

Here's an interview I did with Channy and Carrie Roberts last December. She explains it in this.

Excellent write up that, not one I remember reading previously, thanks.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Thanks for that, I knew there was a racist issue but didn't know any detail, shocking in this day and age. Went to Hull KR decades ago and Sonny Nickle got the same treatment then happened to Anthony Sullivan, never been back to that ground since.

Got A Season Ticket Wise Old Elf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Went to Hull KR decades ago and Sonny Nickle got the same treatment then happened to Anthony Sullivan, never been back to that ground since.
    Saints fans can't claim any moral high ground on this one, I'm afraid. Ellery Hanley, Henderson Gill, Martin Offiah and many others will have had very similar experiences at Knowsley Road in the 70s, 80s and 90s. There was even a 'St Helens Whites' banner that was unfurled at most home matches.
    The Grind always leads to trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Elf View Post
    Saints fans can't claim any moral high ground on this one, I'm afraid. Ellery Hanley, Henderson Gill, Martin Offiah and many others will have had very similar experiences at Knowsley Road in the 70s, 80s and 90s. There was even a 'St Helens Whites' banner that was unfurled at most home matches.
    You’re undoubtedly correct about the moral high ground stance but if memory serves me right wasn’t the ‘St Helens Whites’ banner a refer to the affinity some spectators had with Bolton Wanderers at the time - in some sort of united front against Wigan and Wigan Athletic ?

I can still remember the graffiti daubed in paint on the wall near the turnstiles on Knowsley Road - “Saints and Bolton kick to kill”- ah the seventies!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Elf View Post
    I think times, and what is acceptable as being politically correct have changed drastically since some of the times you are quoting. I remember Billy Boston always being called Old Black Billy by us and Wigan fans. At that time it was not said with any nastiness it was more an affectionate nickname for a player we used to fear and respect. I would never call him that nowadays and wonder if he accepted the way it was used in the 60's, or did he view it as racist in those days.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I think times, and what is acceptable as being politically correct have changed drastically since some of the times you are quoting. I remember Billy Boston always being called Old Black Billy by us and Wigan fans. At that time it was not said with any nastiness it was more an affectionate nickname for a player we used to fear and respect. I would never call him that nowadays and wonder if he accepted the way it was used in the 60's, or did he view it as racist in those days.
    During one of those Sky interviews with past players he said “I was never black in Wigan”. The remark made me a bit emotional given that the 50s/60s weren’t exactly racism free times. Even the most liberal people back then would probably seem racist now.

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    During one of those Sky interviews with past players he said “I was never black in Wigan”. The remark made me a bit emotional given that the 50s/60s weren’t exactly racism free times. Even the most liberal people back then would probably seem racist now.
    I don't think he was treated with racism in terms of nastines., I think it was just easier for people to use that name than his full name, and everyone new who you were referring to because of the respect he commanded. Though, virtually no one would think to call him that nowadays.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I don't think he was treated with racism in terms of nastines., I think it was just easier for people to use that name than his full name, and everyone new who you were referring to because of the respect he commanded. Though, virtually no one would think to call him that nowadays.
    I agree. I don’t think people were racist towards him. The name you remember is just a reflection of the times and not of some racist hatred. I like to think, but it’s a long time ago, that he was always respected for his rugby playing abilities. When he said he “was never black in Wigan”, I think he meant he had respect and wasn’t looked down on because of the colour of his skin. I also think he meant that he felt at home in Wigan and although I’ll happily have a laugh at their expense, I think it speaks well of the Wigan and, perhaps, Saints fans of that era.

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    I agree. I don’t think people were racist towards him. The name you remember is just a reflection of the times and not of some racist hatred. I like to think, but it’s a long time ago, that he was always respected for his rugby playing abilities. When he said he “was never black in Wigan”, I think he meant he had respect and wasn’t looked down on because of the colour of his skin. I also think he meant that he felt at home in Wigan and although I’ll happily have a laugh at their expense, I think it speaks well of the Wigan and, perhaps, Saints fans of that era.
    He was huffing and puffing toward the end of his career when he piled on weight. I remember going to Central Park one game when we played an A team prop (George Case) on the wing as we had no one else big enough to stop him. I don’t think Case touched the ball that day, but Boston never passed him. There was huge uproar from Saints fans every time he put Boston down. I don’t think George ever played for The first team after that, but his son Brian made a name for himself.