Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tonga mid-season international

In The South Stand

Default Tonga mid-season international

Tonga have announced a mid-season international game against New Zealand in June, will Woolf be coaching them for that. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen anything regarding what happens in this eventuality.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Just looked, we play Leeds on the Thursday and Tonga play on the Saturday. Doesn't give him much time to get over there and prepare for the game. Assume Wellens will take charge for the Leeds game.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Starting A Programme Collection

Woolfe will surely want to go to prep with his team ahead of the World Cup, which is fair enough. He was Tonga coach before he signed for Saints so we will have known that this was a possibility. Presumably Hurrell, Passi and Hopoate might be involved too?

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Yes but we pay his wages ... We should make him a deal. He can go if he signs a 2 year extension

Got A Season Ticket

I think for a one off league game he should be allowed to go, let Wello take the reigns for a game, I'm sure it'll be fine

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo8 View Post
    Woolfe will surely want to go to prep with his team ahead of the World Cup, which is fair enough. He was Tonga coach before he signed for Saints so we will have known that this was a possibility. Presumably Hurrell, Passi and Hopoate might be involved too?
    Not too sure on this.

Would the NRL clubs let their players or coaches travel to the UK for a mid-season international? No chance

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Kakariki View Post
    Not too sure on this.

Would the NRL clubs let their players or coaches travel to the UK for a mid-season international? No chance
    Yes but the NRL hold the international game back. We should embrace this, surely the culture at the club isn’t so bad that if the top man is away for a week everyone goes out on a bender?

In The South Stand

Default Tonga mid-season international

Let him go and prep his team and his staff will prep us for one game.

No biggie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Kakariki View Post
    Not too sure on this.

Seems a bit childish to block it just because the NRL would do the same. There's probably more to be gained for the club longer term showing good will to players who value playing for their country - which the Tongan lads definitely do.

I'd have though Woolf going will be easy enough given he was already coaching Tonga before us. Would be a good opportunity for Wello to take the reigns for a week.

Just a shame our international calendar is such a disorganised mess that we haven't got northern and southern hemispheres in sync.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    Yes but the NRL hold the international game back. We should embrace this, surely the culture at the club isn’t so bad that if the top man is away for a week everyone goes out on a bender?
    Yet they’ve actually put together a proper international weekend while we have the fallacy of one dressed up as an international when it’s really an exhibition game that they can’t give tickets away for. We’re as much to blame as anyone for the state of the game internationally.

I hope Saints let Woolf go with their blessing and hopefully gain some brownie points in helping him consider where his future lies for the next couple of years.

In The South Stand

Didn't Tonga have a friendy fixture during KW's tenure already? He didn't leave the country then.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

For what he has done in making us a great side I think Woolf deserves to make his own decision when he wants to go and hence rest him from our coaching duties for a week.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    Didn't Tonga have a friendy fixture during KW's tenure already? He didn't leave the country then.
    No, they haven’t played since 2019 according to Wikipedia, which would make sense with 2020 and 21 ruined by covid.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    No, they haven’t played since 2019 according to Wikipedia, which would make sense with 2020 and 21 ruined by covid.
    That only shows test games and not friendlies,i'm sure they had a friendly against another pacific team while KW has been here and he coached it from home.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    That only shows test games and not friendlies,i'm sure they had a friendly against another pacific team while KW has been here and he coached it from home.
    They almost certainly wouldn’t have played. 2020 saw no international rugby at all because of covid and there wasn’t a Tonga mid-season game.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

There may be clauses in his contract that clear all this up anyways as he was Tonga coach before he signed with us. Letting him go for a week/10 days is fine by me. If he wants to take Paasi, Hurrell and Hopoate with him I’m not sure I’d be too keen on that though.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    There may be clauses in his contract that clear all this up anyways as he was Tonga coach before he signed with us. Letting him go for a week/10 days is fine by me. If he wants to take Paasi, Hurrell and Hopoate with him I’m not sure I’d be too keen on that though.
    My thoughts as well.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    I fine with that as long as he only brings Paasi, Hurrell back with him.

Starting A Programme Collection

Has anything been said on this?

We've got Catalan away the week after in what looks like a huge game in the race for 1st (and we could do with 1st this year without Dodd).

Don't like the idea of the coach not being there for a few days of that build up etc given we play Leeds on the Thursday, we'd have 9 days pre Catalan. Never mind any players.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by JamesSL View Post
    Has anything been said on this?

We've got Catalan away the week after in what looks like a huge game in the race for 1st (and we could do with 1st this year without Dodd).

Don't like the idea of the coach not being there for a few days of that build up etc given we play Leeds on the Thursday, we'd have 9 days pre Catalan. Never mind any players.
    I don't see a problem with it, let him go if he wants to, it sets the right message for future recruitment. If the team cant manage one match without him it's a problem anyway, and it allows Wellens to dip his toes into a head coach role for e few days.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Woolf confirms he won't be going and says a number of Super League players will be missing

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post...a-new-zealand/

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Woolf confirms he won't be going and says a number of Super League players will be missing

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post...a-new-zealand/
    Interesting to see if they go backwards wit Bennet involved. Despite his credentials, he certainly did GB no favours.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

NSW Blues players Daniel Tupou & Kotoni Staggs have both been named, which will have ramifications for the Blues, unless they withdraw from the Test.

Extended bench:
    18: Moeaki Fotuaika
    19. Will Penisini
    20. Isaiya Katoa
    21. Andrew Fifita
    22. Joe Ofahengaue
    23. Starford To’A
    24. Christian Tuipulotu
    25. Eliesa Katoa

From Super League there’s potentially Hopoate, Paasi and Hurrell to add to the mix plus you’ve got Fonua, Feki, Langi, Lolohea, Satae, Ma’u, Vete, Fusitua, Akauala, Tupou, Fifita, Sene-Lefao, Hingano, Asiata. Tonga are starting to add some strength in depth. They just still look too light in the pivots.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Looks a more exciting squad than the England one to be fair.

I think they could go all the way in the World Cup.