Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White Silk Scarf

Noooobie

Default White Silk Scarf

Hello all, I have roots in St Helens and was taken as a child to watch the Saints. I have an old white silk scarf that belonged to my father or grandfather. I can't find any reference for it's age. Unfortunately I can't seem to add an attachment to the post to share what it looks like. I can describe it: It's plain white and silk material. It has frills at each end and very simple design with both sides of each end having just has the words 'THE SAINTS' with the V logo and saint figure, all in red. It's going to be at least 50 years old, but would love to know if anyone is familiar, or would know where I can find out more about its actual age? Many thanks

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Raelly View Post
    Hello all, I have roots in St Helens and was taken as a child to watch the Saints. I have an old white silk scarf that belonged to my father or grandfather. I can't find any reference for it's age. Unfortunately I can't seem to add an attachment to the post to share what it looks like. I can describe it: It's plain white and silk material. It has frills at each end and very simple design with both sides of each end having just has the words 'THE SAINTS' with the V logo and saint figure, all in red. It's going to be at least 50 years old, but would love to know if anyone is familiar, or would know where I can find out more about its actual age? Many thanks

Is the 'Saint figure' this one?

If so, it was first used in 1985, but ceased being used on official club merchandise in 1991 (apparently). So likely 31-37 years old.

https://logos.fandom.com/wiki/St._Helens_RLFC

Noooobie

I had one for the 1976 Challenge Cup Final. Just can’t remember if it said Saints or St. Helens. They were definitely on sale in the 70s. Hope that helps you
    LED ZEPPELIN The Most Important Band In The World.... TODAY! Q Magazine Front Cover March 2005 Edition

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

If you think it’s more tha 50 years old it could be from the 1961 cup final. I had a similar scarf, but we did not have the stick man until much later.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GAZCOL View Post
    I had one for the 1976 Challenge Cup Final. Just can’t remember if it said Saints or St. Helens. They were definitely on sale in the 70s. Hope that helps you
    With the stickman?

Learning All The Songs

Dunno if this helps with the vintage but some Pilkington factories had sewing departments, for 1972 final lads bought plain white shirts and gave them to some of the girls who worked in there and they embroidered stickmen, dates, Saints and St.Helens titles on them.
    It could be someone had a silk scarf done this way or did it theirselves.
    A relation recently found a white shirt, with stickmen embroidered on the lapels at his aunties house she had done for him for the 1976 final, when clearing out after her death. There is a story that goes with it in that a man had a shirt logoed this way and wanted the final score on his shirt later, one of the seamstress ladies knew his wife and handed her the shirt complete with lipstick marks and a woman`s name and phone number in the top pocket.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    With the stickman?
    Don’t remember there being a stickman on the one I had. I could ask my family if they remember but their memories are all worse than mine!
    LED ZEPPELIN The Most Important Band In The World.... TODAY! Q Magazine Front Cover March 2005 Edition

Banned

Don’t remember there being a stickman on the one I had. I could ask my family if they remember but their memories are all worse than mine!
    I was only wondering. I started watching in '84, so my memory's a bit cloudy from back then. Part of me thinks the stickman was already in unofficial use, but 'the web' (see the link I posted) says we only adopted it in '85.

So if it does have the stickman on, then if the scarf is older than '85, then it's very likely an unofficial piece of merch.

Got A Season Ticket zerohero1266's Avatar

I have Saints programmes from the mid 70's that feature the stickman.

Noooobie

Is the 'Saint figure' this one?

If so, it was first used in 1985, but ceased being used on official club merchandise in 1991 (apparently). So likely 31-37 years old.

https://logos.fandom.com/wiki/St._Helens_RLFC
    Thanks for the reply. It's just the figure without a ball.

Noooobie

I was only wondering. I started watching in '84, so my memory's a bit cloudy from back then. Part of me thinks the stickman was already in unofficial use, but 'the web' (see the link I posted) says we only adopted it in '85.

So if it does have the stickman on, then if the scarf is older than '85, then it's very likely an unofficial piece of merch.
    It's definitely pre 1982 which is when my father died. I used to go to the odd match with him, one of which was at Wembley. That match is a possibility, and I think likely in the 70's. The question of whether it's official is an interesting one. It looks too well made, but doesn't have any makers / material label on it... so is a possibility.
    Last edited by Raelly; 25th April 2022 at 20:17.

Noooobie

Thanks for this. That would be much appreciated. The stick man sits inside a red .V' with THE SAINTS below.

Noooobie

Thanks for this. That would be much appreciated. The stick man sits inside a red 'V' with THE SAINTS below.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Dunno if this helps with the vintage but some Pilkington factories had sewing departments, for 1972 final lads bought plain white shirts and gave them to some of the girls who worked in there and they embroidered stickmen, dates, Saints and St.Helens titles on them.
    It could be someone had a silk scarf done this way or did it theirselves.
    A relation recently found a white shirt, with stickmen embroidered on the lapels at his aunties house she had done for him for the 1976 final, when clearing out after her death. There is a story that goes with it in that a man had a shirt logoed this way and wanted the final score on his shirt later, one of the seamstress ladies knew his wife and handed her the shirt complete with lipstick marks and a woman`s name and phone number in the top pocket.
    Thanks for the considered reply. Nice story. The logo etc is all printed.

Noooobie

Thanks. The 70's is most likely date for the scarf I think. I'm also trying to establish if actually earlier.
    Last edited by Raelly; 25th April 2022 at 20:44.

Noooobie

I've managed to get a photo to share:

Last edited by Raelly; 25th April 2022 at 21:23.

I can faintly remember them but what decade I havn't a clue

I was always taught to respect my elders,
    but it keeps getting harder to find one!

I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect;
    therefore I am perfect

I have a treble winners silk scarf from 1976 I think.

Starting A Programme Collection Saintsaregods's Avatar

Again, not sure when it was made but nearly certain my Dad wore one like this for the ‘78 Challenge Cup v Leeds.

Noooobie

Hi all, I've now decided to sell the scarf. If interested it's on ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195149968085
    Thanks for all the input to try and narrow down it's origins.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Saintsaregods View Post
    Again, not sure when it was made but nearly certain my Dad wore one like this for the ‘78 Challenge Cup v Leeds.
    That's a very camp looking stick man.

Starting A Programme Collection Saintsaregods's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealHarryPinner View Post
    Indeed, I hadn't noticed, looks a bit ••••ed or he's a fan of the bangles.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealHarryPinner View Post
    TBH, the whole thing looks camp, but it was probably worn along with DM boots and braces or whatever the 'yoof' fashion was at that time!

In The South Stand

I have that exact scarf and one with red trimming. I've been watching since the 80s and I'm sure we got those around the Challenge Cup final with Halifax, although they could have been older and sold in the club shop or in town for a lot longer.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    I have that exact scarf and one with red trimming. I've been watching since the 80s and I'm sure we got those around the Challenge Cup final with Halifax, although they could have been older and sold in the club shop or in town for a lot longer.
    I was thinking mid 70's, worn on the wrist or belt.