Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Warrington under Powell

Got A Replica Shirt

Default Warrington under Powell

Just thinking we dodged a bullet not going for Powell has our last coach as a lot of our fans had called for, Woolfe or Powell a no brainer for me. I know insight is a wonderful thing but personally never rated the guy, 1 good season with Cas is not good enough. I know its early days yet but I thought Price had this Warrington side under performing last season but this is another level below for me. With the quality they have in their team surely they should be better than this, Wakefield however did impress me when we played them the other week and I said to a few of my friends they would trouble a few teams this year. Well played Wakey, sorry Warrington I but cant see it being your year again this season.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

He seems to be in the one season wonder category, not able to lay a base when things don’t go there way. His face was like a slapped backside today.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    He seems to be in the one season wonder category, not able to lay a base when things don’t go there way. His face was like a slapped backside today.

He was never ever the type of personality to coach our Great club. coms. (The m stands for my.)

In The South Stand

Very early to be writing him off at Wire. They needed a clear out and a rebuild, it’s not done in one off season.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Castleford are always cast in the role of the "plucky underdogs" so coach can look good by having one good season and occasionally getting the scalp of one of the top teams.

Warrington fans think that they are a big team and as even Tom Lineham said last week they expect better performances.

They lack a couple of good, big props. Maybe they should have tried harder to keep hold of Hill for one more season

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    When is it not?
    To be honest its a bit tiresome now.

Banned

Whilst agreeing that Powell isn't right/good enough for Saints, he wasn't just a one-season wonder. He built a Cas side from relegation-fodder to hitting the play-offs then winning the LLS. They were well better than Leeds that year, and who knows how they'd have gone if that whopper Hardaker hadn't got himself banned and disrupted them (although they had a huge slice of luck against us in the GF semi)

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Whilst agreeing that Powell isn't right/good enough for Saints, he wasn't just a one-season wonder. He built a Cas side from relegation-fodder to hitting the play-offs then winning the LLS. They were well better than Leeds that year, and who knows how they'd have gone if that whopper Hardaker hadn't got himself banned and disrupted them (although they had a huge slice of luck against us in the GF semi)
    I wouldn't call that luck. Morgan wa stupid and was it Knowles that was blocked from stopping Gale's DG. incompetent refereeing.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I wouldn't call that luck. Morgan wa stupid and was it Knowles that was blocked from stopping Gale's DG. incompetent refereeing.
    They were lucky that Morgan had that brainfart.

Lucky the ref didn't care that they illegally blocked off the Saints players trying to close down Gale.

Lucky that the RFL/SL knew Hardaker had failed a drugs test but still allowed him to play against us (but made sure he was provisionally banned against RFL favourites Leeds)

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by webbo again View Post
    they were lucky that morgan had that brainfart.

Lucky the ref didn't care that they illegally blocked off the saints players trying to close down gale.

Lucky that the rfl/sl knew hardaker had failed a drugs test but still allowed him to play against us (but made sure he was provisionally banned against rfl favourites leeds)

In The South Stand The.Reverand's Avatar

Powell and Wire remain a dangerous team. They need some grunt but have plenty of players who can undo sides, on their day even us.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The.Reverand View Post
    Powell and Wire remain a dangerous team. They need some grunt but have plenty of players who can undo sides, on their day even us.
    Agreed, this weekend proved you have to be on your game regardless of the team or the coach.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    Agreed, this weekend proved you have to be on your game regardless of the team or the coach.
    Yup. And glad it came against Toulouse, and not against one of our rivals.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

You have some very good players, but stick Walmesley into most teams and he transforms them. Take him out of your team and you’re significantly affected.
    As for Powell, early days, our pack is lightweight, but Hughes at starting prop shows how low we are currently. Harrison who was signed but got injured before he came was probably meant to be our Hill replacement and likely won’t be seen this season.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Very early to be writing him off at Wire. They needed a clear out and a rebuild, it’s not done in one off season.
    Very much so and some of the comments about Powell are quite poor given the job he did at Cas. At one stage (when they had Luke Dorn, Gale at his peak, Ben Roberts, Junior Moors, Denny Solomona etc.), they were the most exciting team to watch in SL. If given time because he's only been there 6 months or so and the chance to shape the roster how he wants, I think he'll do a good job for Warrington.
    *Not to be confused with Mike Stephenson, MBE

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    Very much so and some of the comments about Powell are quite poor given the job he did at Cas. At one stage (when they had Luke Dorn, Gale at his peak, Ben Roberts, Junior Moors, Denny Solomona etc.), they were the most exciting team to watch in SL. If given time because he's only been there 6 months or so and the chance to shape the roster how he wants, I think he'll do a good job for Warrington.
    So what your saying is ; next year could be their year?

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
    So what your saying is ; next year could be their year?
    Nah, the year after.

In The South Stand

Agree with that.

In The South Stand

This year is basically a free hit for Powell. He gets to see first hand what and who needs to be changed. He can see the players attitudes on a day to day basis and who fits and who doesn't. I would expect a clear out at the end of the season and a lot of new signings,especially in the front row.

In The South Stand

The timing is wrong I think. Wire should have got him after Tony Smith left. When you look at their squad now, there is far more needed than just adding a prop. Ratchford is 34 in a couple of months and is a crucial player for them. They've got awful centres, Mata'utia is poor and King hasn't played well since rinsing them for a massively upgraded contract. Widdop and Williams just hasn't worked, they are too similar to play together. The pack is much maligned and rightly so. They are light in the front row and the players they've brought in aren't good enough. If you added two quality starting props and moved Cooper and Bullock to the bench it would be better. Cooper is a player they rave about, but I've never seen much in him. Darryl Clark is another looking a pale shadow of his former self. He looks broken and doesn't seem capable of many minutes. If he could be brought back to full fitness it would improve their attack drastically, as Walker isn't a top level hooker.

They have some decent enough young players, but I'm not convinced they will be top level player. Longstaff, Thewlis, Dean and Wrench all seem the kind of players you keep until they want a proper first team contract, then they move to Wakefield or Salford.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I don't really rate him as a "big game coach", he's been a head coach coach for 26 years now and the only proper success was as a championship coach with Featherstone. He did have a couple of seasons at Cas getting the team to play attractive rugby but that needs to be tempered when playing cup final rugby.

The pre season and earlier rounds of the season with Warrington hasn't shown any change in playing structure, just look at that comparison change with Holbrook over Cunningham. At the moment I havn't seen anything different between Powell and Price coaching, his recruitment of some of the Cas players should have helped him but some of those ex Cas players look worse and I think he is making a mess of the Williams/Widdop half back partnership in who is organising the plays and game management.

Got A Season Ticket

I'd agree with that the improvement he got out of Luke Gale who was playing mainly for poor super league clubs or in the championship was enormous turning him into MOS winner and England half back Mcshane improved even more Wakefield couldn't wait to get him out of the door so much so they swapped him for Scott Moore again he went on to be MOS and play for England there are a number of players he did that with at his time at Cas

Learning All The Songs

I agree. He’s a good coach. Lots of fans wanted him at Saints a few months ago

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

He throws blame around too much to be a great coach imo.

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk