Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nrl 2022

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Default Nrl 2022

Haven't seen much talk of the new NRL season on here... it was great to have it back over the weekend!

Before it got underway and after dominating for the past two years, I thought this may be the season that the top two especially in Panthers and Storm, come back to the pack a little. Panthers have lost some of their better players this year in Burton, Capewell, Momirovski, TPJ even. Storm losing the fox, Hynes, Finucane.

Summary with highlights of round 1 is here- https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/03/13/...ap-up-round-1/

I was surprised how comfortable Penrith looked against Manly (with Turbo Tom) and being without Cleary. I think they'll be up there again in top two. Melbourne just got past Wests and suffered some injuries which could really hurt them- Welch may be out for the whole season. I think Smith broke his hand.

Lots of talk down under about the Eels having a big chance but I don't see it myself. I think Gold Coast were unlucky not to win that one and Holbrook wasn't happy after the game with the officiating- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYgBdlpbvq0

I was thinking Roosters could be back challenging, because they've got a lot of their top players back (Keary, Manu etc.) and made some shrewd signings (Watson, Momirovski). I wouldn't have bet on the Knights beating them that's for sure! Early days of course, but I expect them to finish above Souths. Even with Mitchell back, I think Souths will drop down from third.

It was interesting to see two of the bottom three from last year win. I do think Bulldogs are a lot stronger on paper than last year and Broncos too. No real blowout scores, which was good to see, as there's been loads last couple of years and that has hurt the competition.

Sky schedule is here- https://www.skysports.com/watch/rugb...mpetitions/nrl
    *Not to be confused with Mike Stephenson, MBE

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

See you don't mention Roosters other signing, Kevin Naiqama, scored again for them this morning.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moore View Post
    See you don't mention Roosters other signing, Kevin Naiqama, scored again for them this morning.
    I've caught up on the footage... yes KN is doing well and getting plenty of game time so far this season. He's looking a useful acquisition for them, as I think he was brought in as cover primarily.

I see in the other game, Wests got their first win with Jackson Hastings kicking the field goal in the last seconds.

Starting A Programme Collection

Thanks for that . Great stuff my friend .

Got A Season Ticket

What a first 40 from Siosifa Talakai https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/04/21/...-v-sea-eagles/ I'm sure KW is keeping an eye on him for Tonga> Aussie Commentators already talking him up for an NSW jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny NZ View Post
    What a first 40 from Siosifa Talakai.
    Agree. Actually, I've really enjoyed the NRL this season thus far. Except for the standard dodgy bunker decisions going against the Warriors. Also, I see Justin Holbrook blew up on the topic of bias last week too suggesting the big clubs get all the 50-50 calls.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by singe View Post
    Agree. Actually, I've really enjoyed the NRL this season thus far. Except for the standard dodgy bunker decisions going against the Warriors. Also, I see Justin Holbrook blew up on the topic of bias last week too suggesting the big clubs get all the 50-50 calls.
    Reckon the Warriors coaches, past and present, must be really chuffed to hear all these clubs saying they don't get rub of the green against bigger clubs after all Warriors have put up over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny NZ View Post
    What a first 40 from Siosifa Talakai https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/04/21/...-v-sea-eagles/ I'm sure KW is keeping an eye on him for Tonga> Aussie Commentators already talking him up for an NSW jersey.
    He looks a big threat ball in hand and I think because Tonga is tier 2, he can represent both. Not sure he'd be picked over Mitchell though or perhaps even Wighton for NSW.

For Tonga, they could potentially have some real strike in the centres with Talakai on the left and Staggs on the right. We know they've got some great forwards too, it's the halves that they'd maybe like a few more to choose from.

See Panthers won again today and remain unbeaten. Shame the two games on tomorrow aren't being televised here in UK

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    He looks a big threat ball in hand and I think because Tonga is tier 2, he can represent both. Not sure he'd be picked over Mitchell though or perhaps even Wighton for NSW.

For Tonga, they could potentially have some real strike in the centres with Talakai on the left and Staggs on the right. We know they've got some great forwards too, it's the halves that they'd maybe like a few more to choose from.

See Panthers won again today and remain unbeaten. Shame the two games on tomorrow aren't being televised here in UK
    rugbyleagueontv.com | Super League | NRL | Rugby League TV Listings According to this you can get both on the (Watch NRL site)

I was always taught to respect my elders,
    but it keeps getting harder to find one!

I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect;
    therefore I am perfect

Quote Originally Posted by oldun View Post
    rugbyleagueontv.com | Super League | NRL | Rugby League TV Listings According to this you can get both on the (Watch NRL site)
    Thanks for the info! The Dragons vs Roosters game looked a good tight contest from the highlights. The Warriors fans on here won't be happy I'm sure, with the hammering off the storm in the other game 70-10. Nathan Brown's job could come under pressure after a performance like that!

Suaalii didn't look too much of an idiot after his antics in the corner along with Joey Manu, when Suaalii scored, then it got rubbed off by the video ref!!!

Newcastle's defence needs some serious work. Their effort in D in the last couple of games has been dreadful, especially their goal-line defence. Embarrasing.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OoOGazOoO View Post
    Newcastle's defence needs some serious work. Their effort in D in the last couple of games has been dreadful, especially their goal-line defence. Embarrasing.
    The whole Ponga nonsense might have upset the team a bit. They’ve been woeful the last two weeks.

The Raiders are a far cry from the team that made the 2019 grand final too.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    The whole Ponga nonsense might have upset the team a bit. They’ve been woeful the last two weeks.

The Raiders are a far cry from the team that made the 2019 grand final too.
    You'd of thought Ponga re-signing would've galvanized Newcastle but clearly not. As good as he is, he can't do it all himself and don't think they're any closer to winning a premiership. Not sure I'd be putting money on them winning one in these next 5 years either, unless they can make some big changes to their roster. But of course, Ponga's big contract doesn't help with that! Interesting to see how Milford goes for them in a few weeks, at his best he can add to their attack at least.

Agree on Canberra, missed their 'Premiership window' as they say. Roosters also struggling to get back to their level of a few years ago... surprised to see Bulldogs beat them over the weekend. Dragons the week before.

Looking like Penrith and Melbourne will be the top two again. Both so consistent.

Just watched the Souths Vs Brisbane Game from today... Adam Reynolds controlled the game and I think Souths may be regretting only offering him a 1 year deal. Look a bit short in the halves and likely why they're looking to bring in a new signing.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    Just watched the Souths Vs Brisbane Game from today... Adam Reynolds controlled the game and I think Souths may be regretting only offering him a 1 year deal. Look a bit short in the halves and likely why they're looking to bring in a new signing.
    Yes quality always counts- a guess it is always tough when balancing the books and planning ahead for a next generation.

And his control of the game has got me off to a bad start in work tipping comp!

Got A Season Ticket

Holbrook needs to turn things round rather sharpish if he’s to keep his job

Quote Originally Posted by stobartmassive View Post
    Holbrook needs to turn things round rather sharpish if he’s to keep his job
    Just 2 wins from 9 so far and so could find themselves with too much to do to make the finals. Titans always look like they can score points but concede lots too!

See Panthers were beaten for the first time this year, this weekend. Eels beating them.

Adam Reynolds playing out of his skin at the moment.

Cobbo just gone 90 metres following an intercept, for his hat-trick.

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

Gold Coast look to be on course for victory in first half against the Dragons. Then look to have thrown it away in the second half and save themselves with a late try. They then go on to win it in Golden Point. 1st victory after 5 straight defeats. Holbrook must be relieved and hope this kicks on their season.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

Adam Reynolds playing out of his skin at the moment.

Cobbo just gone 90 metres following an intercept, for his hat-trick.
    I know there are other factors in the resurgence of Brisbane but this shows what the addition of a world class half back can do for a team.

Cracking performance from the Panthers, so clinical, some result that.

Cracking performance from the Panthers, so clinical, some result that.
    Best half back partnership in the comp by a country mile.

Quote Originally Posted by djh1972 View Post
    I know there are other factors in the resurgence of Brisbane but this shows what the addition of a world class half back can do for a team.
    Agreed. Reynolds isn't the flashiest or fastest half around, but he knows how to manage a game. Selwyn Cobbo looks a real find for them too.

Quote Originally Posted by knowsleyroaders View Post
    Best half back partnership in the comp by a country mile.
    In fairness to Melbourne though, they were missing their first choice '7' in Hughes and '1' in Papenhuyzen. Two of the best players in the competition. I don't think the difference between Panthers and Storm is as big as it looked in the game yesterday is what I'd say.

Wonder what will happen with the Magic round next year with the Dolphins/17th team? Presumably they will have to allocate a bye for one of the teams.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

At the time i thought it was crazy that Brisbane pinned all their hopes on Reynolds. He’s a good 7, but no spring chicken and has had his fair share of injuries. He seems to be just what Brisbane need though. To be fair i think so is Tyson Gamble. He’s nothing flash but he’s a tough competitor and that’s what you need when you’re at the bottom end trying to build a winning mentality (stubborn players).
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies