Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: John KEAR

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

Default John KEAR

Reviews the upcoming season. Has us as favourites, mentions virtually all the other teams, oh except Warrington.

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/r...sezer-22691996
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

We are at that stage now where it would be more difficult for us not to win something. Winning becomes a habit and after 3 consecutive championships we’ve got the blueprint down. We won’t have to do much different this season. Its a case of can the other teams catch us up.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moore View Post
    Reviews the upcoming season. Has us as favourites, mentions virtually all the other teams, oh except Warrington.

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/r...sezer-22691996
    A real gushing review of us. I wonder if he just forgot Warrington, or if he really thinks they will be also rans.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    A real gushing review of us. I wonder if he just forgot Warrington, or if he really thinks they will be also rans.
    Maybe next year will be their year.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

For me I don't think he is too far off with his review, it does look as though Leeds can make the most improvement and could place themselves above Wigan or Warrington. It will be interesting to see how Catalan go without Maloney who for some reason got away with a lot of technical infringements and rabitting into the refs ear.

Quote Originally Posted by knowsleyroaders View Post
    maybe next year will be their year.

Learning All The Songs

For Leeds I think a lot will depend on how much their young front line kick on. Austin is a bit of a flat track bully but with Sezer alongside him there's far more quality there if they can get on the front foot a bit better than they did last season.

I know a lot of their fans see Agar as some sort of super-coach but I think he'll be under more pressure than any other given the money Hetherington has backed him with and the size of their squad. He's had plenty of time to build the squad he wants and I imagine they'll see anything other than reaching a final or two as a failure. I can see him being moved upstairs sooner rather than later if they don't get off to a decent start.

Hard to tell with us. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic but with so many changes in the squad (personnel and positional) it would be hugely impressive if Woolf gets them to gel quickly. When you look around the rest of the league though, on paper it's hard to disagree with Kear's view.

Got A Replica Shirt

He has one regret --not to have coached the Saints
    Bringing it all back home.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Private Pyle View Post
    For Leeds I think a lot will depend on how much their young front line kick on. Austin is a bit of a flat track bully but with Sezer alongside him there's far more quality there if they can get on the front foot a bit better than they did last season.

I know a lot of their fans see Agar as some sort of super-coach but I think he'll be under more pressure than any other given the money Hetherington has backed him with and the size of their squad. He's had plenty of time to build the squad he wants and I imagine they'll see anything other than reaching a final or two as a failure. I can see him being moved upstairs sooner rather than later if they don't get off to a decent start.

Hard to tell with us. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic but with so many changes in the squad (personnel and positional) it would be hugely impressive if Woolf gets them to gel quickly. When you look around the rest of the league though, on paper it's hard to disagree with Kear's view.
    The only change from the last game of last season and the first game of this season is likely to be;
    1. Welsby instead of Coote at Fullback
    2. Hopoate instead of Naiqama in the centres

The latter of which should be a literal like for like switch with no real impact with how the team goes. The first is obviously a much bigger change, but we saw Coote injured and Welsby in the team at times last year, so its hardly like were putting a new squad together.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Peters View Post
    He has one regret --not to have coached the Saints
    I remember Kear saying that in an interview. He said he was offered the job and regretted turning us down.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I remember Kear saying that in an interview. He said he was offered the job and regretted turning us down.
    Nah, wouldn't really have wanted him (although if he was offered it in 08, 10 or 14, then he couldn't have done much worse!)

Starting A Programme Collection

One great thing that John Kear did for our club was put Alex Walmsley our way. We've had some great players over the last 10 years - non more so the Walmsley. Just been listening to his interview on the Saints Podcast - pleasure to listen to him. He comes across very well, is humble and praises the environment around the club and town in making it easy for him to decide to stay. Long may it continue. Thanks John Kear : )

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Nah, wouldn't really have wanted him (although if he was offered it in 08, 10 or 14, then he couldn't have done much worse!)
    He was a Catalan fan last season, went out of his way in his commentary with Davies in wanting Makinson sent off and YaHa was 100% certain to have scored only for a "direct hit" to the head. But he does have respect for the way Saints play the game.

In The South Stand

I hope the Sainys players do not get too confident .

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    I hope the Sainys players do not get too confident .
    I think we have the right coach to keep the players grounded, after all he has lead us to 2 consecutive titles on the back of the 1 won under Holbrook.