JB&B Leach Banner
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Tom Van Vollenhoven

  1. #1
    Got A Season Ticket Mr.Yat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    St.Helens - where else?
    Age
    69
    Posts
    345
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Tom Van Vollenhoven

    Nice piece here but "Vollies" I ask you 😄
    Voll and Killeen on each wing when I first became a Saints fan in the early/mid 60s.

    https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post...-at-st-helens/

  2. #2
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Hiding in Wigan
    Age
    75
    Posts
    652
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Vollies must have been his south african nick name, I dont think we will see his like agai.n

  3. #3
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Newport, Shropshire
    Posts
    2,166
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    I think some desperate journalist has made “Vollies” up or, alternatively, they’ve been conned by some St Helens wit. Great footage though. It seems like a different world and it’s hard to believe that an 11 year old me was at Wembley in 1961 carrying and whirling a heavy wooden rattle that would be classed as an offensive weapon now. I also had a red and white rosette - wearing replica shirts to games was unheard of.

  4. #4
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    near leigh
    Posts
    2,913
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    I never heard him called "Vollies" and i marvelled at all of the games and tries that he scored , i agree that we wont see the like again.

  5. #5
    In The West Stand Webbo Again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Refugee from the fascist state of RLFans
    Posts
    5,435
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    I think some desperate journalist has made “Vollies” up or, alternatively, they’ve been conned by some St Helens wit. Great footage though. It seems like a different world and it’s hard to believe that an 11 year old me was at Wembley in 1961 carrying and whirling a heavy wooden rattle that would be classed as an offensive weapon now. I also had a red and white rosette - wearing replica shirts to games was unheard of.
    In 1961, I bet there were many in the crowd wearing a shirt and tie (and even suit)
    I f*cking hate wi*an.

  6. #6
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Newport, Shropshire
    Posts
    2,166
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    In 1961, I bet there were many in the crowd wearing a shirt and tie (and even suit)
    I think you’re right and it was an incredibly hot day as well.

  7. #7
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Newport, Shropshire
    Posts
    2,166
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Apologies to the journalist for my first post. “Vollies” is used by a South African in the first film clip. I only watched the English clips first time round. In England, however, he was always “Voll” or “Vollenhoven”.

  8. #8
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    8,713
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    I think you’re right and it was an incredibly hot day as well.
    I was there as well, and Alan Prescott had Saints drinking salt water at HT because of the heat.

    No electrolyte drinks in those days.

  9. #9
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    near leigh
    Posts
    2,913
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    And what a day it was , where did all those crowds go .?

  10. #10
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    8,713
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Yat View Post
    Nice piece here but "Vollies" I ask you ��
    Voll and Killeen on each wing when I first became a Saints fan in the early/mid 60s.

    https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post...-at-st-helens/
    Just read the article and watched all the videos. Some great memories of a great player. Thx.

  11. #11
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Hiding in Wigan
    Age
    75
    Posts
    652
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    I think some desperate journalist has made “Vollies” up or, alternatively, they’ve been conned by some St Helens wit. Great footage though. It seems like a different world and it’s hard to believe that an 11 year old me was at Wembley in 1961 carrying and whirling a heavy wooden rattle that would be classed as an offensive weapon now. I also had a red and white rosette - wearing replica shirts to games was unheard of.
    Ha Ha those were the days wooden rattle, mine was a cheap one from woolies it flew apart one saturday just missed Voll scoring in the corner,happy days.C.O.Y.S

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •