Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saints academy / scholarship 2022

Got A Season Ticket

Default Saints academy / scholarship 2022

Teams look like theyre locked in for 2022 and some great talent like youd expect.

Academy -

Will Roberts - Scrum half who won the best player in the nwc competition and wanted by every top club.

Mackenzie Buckley - very tough and strong running lad who gets stuck in.

Scholarship

Harry Robertson - strong running centre and try machine

George Whitby - Half who is also on the books of Sale Sharks

Just a couple to keep an eye out for.

Banned

Cheers for the update.

In The South Stand

It does show though what a good scouting system Saints have got , lots of our young players come from other towns .

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Saint View Post
    Out of interest, how does that work? Presumably he'll have to make a choice once he gets to academy age (if he's wanted by both clubs)?

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Out of interest, how does that work? Presumably he'll have to make a choice once he gets to academy age (if he's wanted by both clubs)?
    Will have to make a choice one he’s offered professional terms by either club, until then as long as the clubs are content with the situation it can stay as it is for as long as it’s manageable. I’d imagine the lad (if good enough) would have his mind made up long before that point.

I went to watch the U16s game last night v Wigan. Wigan were very strong, looked much bigger than our lads and ran away with the game second half especially with the wind in their favour. Their 7- Jack Farrimond was outstanding as was their 6.

However Harry Robertson for us was superb too, played at 6. Reminds me very much of Ponga with his build and gait (even wears a skull cap) so if he turns out to be half as good as him we will be okay! Whitby at 7 went well too, hits like a forward, he crumpled a couple of Wigan players with tackles. We also had a good centre- Dagnall who looked good although he was sinbinned for 10 mins after giving a mouthful to the ref.

Not sure an elite level game should be played at St Jude's but hey ho.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    I went to watch the U16s game last night v Wigan. Wigan were very strong, looked much bigger than our lads and ran away with the game second half especially with the wind in their favour. Their 7- Jack Farrimond was outstanding as was their 6.

However Harry Robertson for us was superb too, played at 6. Reminds me very much of Ponga with his build and gait (even wears a skull cap) so if he turns out to be half as good as him we will be okay! Whitby at 7 went well too, hits like a forward, he crumpled a couple of Wigan players with tackles. We also had a good centre- Dagnall who looked good although he was sinbinned for 10 mins after giving a mouthful to the ref.

Way back in the 80's when I played for Rainford High, we had some sort of cup game against St John Fisher. I was 15 and 6 foot. There were just 2 players shorter than me - the hooker and scrum half. Most of them had beards. My dad was watching and one of the other dads turned to him as they took the field and quipped "Bloody hell, they look like they've just come off a shift down the pit"

Dunno if there's something in the water in scumsville or it's a interbreeding thing, but wiganers always seem to mature a lot earlier than lads in Tellins.

We got snotted in the game, by the way, about 40-6. Given Joynty was in my school year and went to SJF, I always assume I played against him that day.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Teams look like theyre locked in for 2022 and some great talent like youd expect.

Academy -

Will Roberts - Scrum half who won the best player in the nwc competition and wanted by every top club.

Mackenzie Buckley - very tough and strong running lad who gets stuck in.

Scholarship

Harry Robertson - strong running centre and try machine

Just a couple to keep an eye out for.
    Seen a few video clips of Harry Robertson and he was in one of the Saints Pre season videos. looks a bit special to me. One to watch once he fills out with a bit of muscle, I thought the club was seeing him as a loose forward.

He played in the kids final at Wembley around 2018 I think for his Widnes School side.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby View Post
    I seen a picture elsewhere this morning of Keith Mason and his lad who played for Wigan last night. He's nearly as big as his Dad already.
    SOL lad played for Wigan last night too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Way back in the 80's when I played for Rainford High, we had some sort of cup game against St John Fisher. I was 15 and 6 foot. There were just 2 players shorter than me - the hooker and scrum half. Most of them had beards. My dad was watching and one of the other dads turned to him as they took the field and quipped "Bloody hell, they look like they've just come off a shift down the pit"

Dunno if there's something in the water in scumsville or it's a interbreeding thing, but wiganers always seem to mature a lot earlier than lads in Tellins.

We got snotted in the game, by the way, about 40-6. Given Joynty was in my school year and went to SJF, I always assume I played against him that day.
    In the 90's my high school played a cup match against a school from Ulverston and they were all the same - 6 foot plus with beards, looking like they'd taken a day off work! Think they put 60 on us from what I remember
    I ate a tuna sandwich on my first day!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post

Not a recent phenomina, I played for St Helen’s Schoolboys early 60’s and whenever we played other towns they alway seemed bigger. Within St Helen’s, I played for Parr Cent and played with Brian Hogan, who at 14 was over 6 ft and nearly 14 Stone. We played Rivi Rd and Joe Robinson picked him up and threw him down like he was a rag doll. Unfortunately for Joe, he never grew any bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Not a recent phenomina, I played for St Helen’s Schoolboys early 60’s and whenever we played other towns they alway seemed bigger. Within St Helen’s, I played for Parr Cent and played with Brian Hogan, who at 14 was over 6 ft and nearly 14 Stone. We played Rivi Rd and Joe Robinson picked him up and threw him down like he was a rag doll. Unfortunately for Joe, he never grew any bigger.
    I played for Parr Cent and Brian Hogan was a form year older always remember him being big and a handful, old peg leg teacher had him playing tough. I,m not sure if Les Jones was in that form year and I think he was good at cross country, when I played for Pilks Recs for a couple of games Les Jones turned up and was my winger. Was there a school called Edmond Campion there was some really big lads in that team and we had to gang tackle some of them.

There was also a lad in our year called Alan Parr who was a stocky scrum half played with skills like Alex Murphy, but when we left school he never seemed to appear in any of the local amateur sides.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I played for Parr Cent and Brian Hogan was a form year older always remember him being big and a handful, old peg leg teacher had him playing tough. I,m not sure if Les Jones was in that form year and I think he was good at cross country, when I played for Pilks Recs for a couple of games Les Jones turned up and was my winger. Was there a school called Edmond Campion there was some really big lads in that team and we had to gang tackle some of them.

There was also a lad in our year called Alan Parr who was a stocky scrum half played with skills like Alex Murphy, but when we left school he never seemed to appear in any of the local amateur sides.
    Eddie Camp was on Stafford Road in Toll Bar. They merged with West Park (and Notty Dame/Mount Carmel) late 80s to become De La Salle.

West Park/De La Salle were a Yawnion school, but after some persuading they played their first ever game of RL against Rainford. In that DLS team were 3 future Saints players (Sean Casey, Baz Ashall & Andy Northey) plus some county Yawnion players.

They won.

Starting A Programme Collection Saintsaregods's Avatar

Alf Frances by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Saintsaregods View Post
    Alf Frances by any chance?
    Yea, thats the man think he taught technical drawing but when he took rugby use to like the big tackles.

In The South Stand

While we’re heading for the At Last It’s The 1948 Show Yorkshire Men’s sketch, Bernard (Bonk) Barrow used to coach the St Cuthbert’s team. I knew he played for West Park at hooker but apparently he also played for Lancashire RU. He sometimes used to join in playing and if he tackled you, you knew about it.

Brian Hogan used to get the same bus as me but thankfully he was older so there was never any chance of meeting him on a rugby pitch. Everyone knew who he was even though he was at a different school.

Got A Season Ticket

I stand to be corrected on this memory, but ..

I was at Eddie Camp in the early 70s. When I was 1st year Mick Burke was in 5th year. There was a town school sports thing at Ruskin Drive. I lived nearby so went along for a nosey. Mick Burke was in the shot putt, he won with his first throw without even changing out of school uniform. He was like a man in a boys world.

In The South Stand

Talking of the past, I’ve just seen a Stuart Pike piece on Facebook, which ends with a plug for a replica Wembley 1961 Red Vee shirt with the old town crest, which is apparently available in the Club Shop.

https://www.saintssuperstore.com/new...ro-jersey.html
    Last edited by Suttoner; 8th April 2022 at 11:31. Reason: Link

Starting A Programme Collection Saintsaregods's Avatar

Yea, thats the man think he taught technical drawing but when he took rugby use to like the big tackles.
    Aye, a character was Alf, a big fella too, he fell over in the corridor and it took a few of us to get him back on his feet/foot.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Les was in the same class as Brian and myself. The one that stood out at cross country was a very small guy, named John James, always called Jessie. Last I heard he was a jockey.

Got A Season Ticket

Harry Robertson with 3 trys vs Hudds scholarship. Early days but could be a star.

In The South Stand

Harry Robertson with 3 trys vs Hudds scholarship. Early days but could be a star.
    It'll be interesting to see how he develops. He's got Welsby's build and is quicker than him and more direct, but potentially hasn't got the passing game. Interesting that the club is playing him at 6 at that level, he's primarily been a fullback in his junior days and in six years or so of watching him, I can't ever recall him passing the ball.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post

I’ve only just seen this, not been here for a while. Whilst I agree with most of your comments, Dagnall’s sin binning was not for giving a mouthful to the ref - it was for ‘rolling’ the ball away after the try was denied to his winger. Deemed a little harsh by the coaches and also the player himself. I know this because I’m his mum!! Don’t worry I’m not going to do a Mrs Savelio

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Dagzie View Post
    I’ve only just seen this, not been here for a while. Whilst I agree with most of your comments, Dagnall’s sin binning was not for giving a mouthful to the ref - it was for ‘rolling’ the ball away after the try was denied to his winger. Deemed a little harsh by the coaches and also the player himself. I know this because I’m his mum!! Don’t worry I’m not going to do a Mrs Savelio
    Hmmmmm we're watching you.

I don't mind if you do, it must be awful having your son ruthlessly dissected by the geeks on here who wouldn't sidestep a pasty let alone a Super League player.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagzie View Post
    My apologies Mrs Dagnall! In my defence I was behind the goal at the other end so I couldn't see or hear anything closely. He looks a bloody good player though.