Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Favourite

In The South Stand

Like most people on here I can't wait for the season to start and see how our new signings go. We look really strong with competition for places. We have players that can cover a few positions and a good mixture of youth and experience.

In reply to Stevo. I get what you are saying about an injury to Dodd. But we have Lomax or Welsby that can cover there. With Makinson or Hopoate moving to fb if Welsby has to cover. Also while in no way ideal and I very much doubt it will ever happen and it would be an emergency if it did. We have Sironen who has played 6 in the past.

I hope we get to see a fit and enthusiastic Hurrell he really could be a very good signing.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    Like most people on here I can't wait for the season to start and see how our new signings go. We look really strong with competition for places. We have players that can cover a few positions and a good mixture of youth and experience.

In reply to Stevo. I get what you are saying about an injury to Dodd. But we have Lomax or Welsby that can cover there. With Makinson or Hopoate moving to fb if Welsby has to cover. Also while in no way ideal and I very much doubt it will ever happen and it would be an emergency if it did. We have Sironen who has played 6 in the past.

I hope we get to see a fit and enthusiastic Hurrell he really could be a very good signing.
    Something tells me that Welsby at full back is a short term one and will eventually be our no 6 when he will replace Lomax. The club are pushing through Bennison and Hill who are both full backs and the latter seems to be a good prospect for that position in 2 seasons down the line.
    We have loads of cover in most positions other than scrum half so we,ve got good healthy competition for a first team 17.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Even though Woolf (amongst others) thought he was our mom in the grand final.

If Lomax stays fit, he's pretty much essential to us
    He was certainly in the top performers in the GF.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Some of our "fickle supporters" on here have been having to lie low for quite a few months at the back end of the season. I should imagine with a changed side next season it won't take long for these people to fill their boots with in depth scapegoating.
    To be honest I got frustrated at times with him running out of the line. Then found out that Woolf was telling him to do that to try to disrupt their attack, even when he missed his target man.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    To be honest I got frustrated at times with him running out of the line. Then found out that Woolf was telling him to do that to try to disrupt their attack, even when he missed his target man.
    Percy is the master of this, he's like a heat seeking missile.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealHarryPinner View Post
    Percy is the master of this, he's like a heat seeking missile.
    We’ve got a few Lees and Knowles never like to miss the opportunity, doesn’t give the opposition much time to put on a play.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DewiSant View Post
    I'll probably be ridiculed for this, but if Roby starts next season as slowly as he did last (and especially if Lussick shows up well early doors) I wouldn't be surprised to hear the same kind of 'a year too far' sniping that eg. Wello was subjected to towards the end of his career.
    Maybe, but Wello's later years came at a time when the trophies had dried up, the team wasn't as great as before (or now), and frustrations were simmering with fans.

We have a much better team now, and a hoard of silverware in the cupboard. I think fans will be gentler towards him.

Got A Season Ticket
    In the kitchen, trying to remember why I came here.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Maybe, but Wello's later years came at a time when the trophies had dried up, the team wasn't as great as before (or now), and frustrations were simmering with fans.

We have a much better team now, and a hoard of silverware in the cupboard. I think fans will be gentler towards him.
    I'd like to think so, but I detected hints along those lines at the start of last season and if we miss Coote more than we hope/ the new signings don't gel immediately/ Dodd and Welsby don't tear it up from the off and we stutter in the early part of the season (as we did last year) it will be an interesting dilemma for some. Do we turn on the old guard for hanging around too long or the youngsters for not being up to it!

I think a poor spell of results will allow the Woolf-haters to reappear. He’ll be blamed for poor recruitment, team selections and boring tactics with claims that he benefitted from a lucky Welsby try in 2020 and biased refereeing in our favour against Catalans to colour people’s judgement.

Judging by how much Hopoate’s wife is commenting on our weather, it may well be that he won’t last the year.

Always makes me laugh when the overseas players come over in pre-season. Are they not told that it’s winter. Do they expect it to be blue skies and sun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    Judging by how much Hopoate’s wife is commenting on our weather, it may well be that he won’t last the year.

Always makes me laugh when the overseas players come over in pre-season. Are they not told that it’s winter. Do they expect it to be blue skies and sun?

Blue sky and sun where I am. And 2c.

Banned

It's been dire - cold rain has got to be the worst weather.

Going to dry up from mid-next week and turn more settled with likely some fog and frost. Then perhaps a colder flow developing as we hit Chrimble itself.

Maybe Mrs H will like it when the weather is all a bit more seasonal and festive!

She wants to see my back yard after those two storms. Only just getting it sorted

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by DewiSant View Post
    I'll probably be ridiculed for this, but if Roby starts next season as slowly as he did last (and especially if Lussick shows up well early doors) I wouldn't be surprised to hear the same kind of 'a year too far' sniping that eg. Wello was subjected to towards the end of his career.
    This would be a sad endightment on our support if this came to pass. I reckon spelling him and a bit less responsibility to play 80 min will do wonders for the young lad :-)

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Glasgowsaint View Post
    This would be a sad endightment on our support if this came to pass. I reckon spelling him and a bit less responsibility to play 80 min will do wonders for the young lad :-)

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
    We will probably see Lussick becoming first choice sooner than later if Roby is off form, Woolf is very astute Roby will be preferred until Lussick settles into the team. After that its a straight competition for the No 9 shirt, a bit of a win win situation from a postive perspective.

Learning All The Songs

After our first defeat

Welsby - never a full back in the memory of man
    Grace - the sooner he sods off to Union the better
    Percival - never the same after his injury
    Hopatae - listen to your wife and go back to the nice weather in Aus
    Makinson - too much of a penalty machine and is now a liability
    Lomax - way past his best
    Dodd - too young and not go enough
    Walmsley - time he packed up can’t even hold onto the ball
    Roby - time to go old man
    Lees - to young to raw too much trying to be the hard man
    Hurrel - the only one who did anything
    Sironen - his dad would be better even now
    Knowles - I hope there is a get out on his five year contract

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    After our first defeat

Welsby - never a full back in the memory of man
    Grace - the sooner he sods off to Union the better
    Percival - never the same after his injury
    Hopatae - listen to your wife and go back to the nice weather in Aus
    Makinson - too much of a penalty machine and is now a liability
    Lomax - way past his best
    Dodd - too young and not go enough
    Walmsley - time he packed up can’t even hold onto the ball
    Roby - time to go old man
    Lees - to young to raw too much trying to be the hard man
    Hurrel - the only one who did anything
    Sironen - his dad would be better even now
    Knowles - I hope there is a get out on his five year contract
    You also need to add the coach: We don't want Woolfyball and his cheerleaders.

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

McManus - always keeps throwing his money at all that rubbish.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

Not sure about the topic itself but it's brought up some interesting points.

I agree that Lussick will be first choice at some point and that might be sooner than we think. I think Roby will get the first handful of games but it might be hard to hold back Lussick if he starts well.

I also agree that Welsby might not be our long term full back. In the second half of last season every time he had the ball he looked dangerous and he won't always be involved in the play at full back. The high ball aspect is also something he didn't always look comfortable with too. He looked a stand off all over to me but I don't see him every day. Woolf has always been adamant he would be full back this year

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    I think the topic was to show just how fickle fans can be. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but some people I speak to (friends, family), the amount of garbage that comes out of their mouths after a defeat or poor performance, at times I'm speechless and just change the topic because you can't debate with them.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moore View Post
    McManus - always keeps throwing his money at all that rubbish.
    Christ, I remember when some fans were asking for McManus and Rush to stand down

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post

I agree that Lussick will be first choice at some point and that might be sooner than we think. I think Roby will get the first handful of games but it might be hard to hold back Lussick if he starts well.

I also agree that Welsby might not be our long term full back. In the second half of last season every time he had the ball he looked dangerous and he won't always be involved in the play at full back. The high ball aspect is also something he didn't always look comfortable with too. He looked a stand off all over to me but I don't see him every day. Woolf has always been adamant he would be full back this year
    Its not on topic but at least you don't have to play at being better fans like Stiddy and co.

What a bunch of bollocks this thread is.

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

In The South Stand

I’m most “concerned”, for want of a better word, about Sironen given his injury record but then again, last year, I was quite excited about the Thompson signing based on the noises from Australia and those that had watched him for years there.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    I’m most “concerned”, for want of a better word, about Sironen given his injury record but then again, last year, I was quite excited about the Thompson signing based on the noises from Australia and those that had watched him for years there.
    Some of the stories out of Aus about forcing him to play with serious injuries makes you wonder how much is it on him. Sometimes a change of scenery is all a player needs to shake off lingering injuries, and sometimes they’re just made of biscuit like Wheeler.

I think the important thing with Sironen is that we’re not dependent on him. There’s an argument about whether he’s even first choice with Mata’utia and Batchelor at 11 and 12, Hurrell is rumoured to be in competition for the back row as well, and we have some serious youngsters coming through in Wingfield. If he’s as injury prone as he has been, then we’re still pretty stocked up.

Also to a post a couple above about Welsby; fullback is the modern day focal point of the attack, the stats showed last year that fullback almost unanimously had more involvements in play than any other position when Sky were trying out new things. He ripped Warrington apart 2 years ago when playing there and the way he has come on since is scary good.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    I think it's a big season for Lomax. He didn't have his best season in 2021. There'll be a big onus on him with Coote and Fages gone for 2022. Welsby and Dodd have shown they're certainly good enough for SL, yet they're relatively inexperienced as first choice in the key positions. Roby in the twilight of his career too.

Saints have the best squad depth overall in SL, it's only at halfback/a dominant half where cover is questionable if anything happens to Dodd.
    You sure your not the real Stevo? He always had an affiliation with the young players.