JB&B Leach Banner
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 110

Thread: Channel 4 to show live super league matc

  1. #76
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    104
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    I think Adam Hills is a great shout
    As long as he gets rid of those ridiculous sideys

  2. #77
    In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,870
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Vital that C4 get the presentation of this right.....balls it up with any kind of stereotypes and it will be a golden opportunity missed.......
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

  3. #78
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,313
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    I think Adam Hills is a great shout
    Hills would be good,he would bring knowledge and enthusiasm. Not sure he would do it though as he goes back to Australia to be with his family once the last leg finishes.

  4. #79
    In The West Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    6,106
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by warringtonsaint View Post
    Vital that C4 get the presentation of this right.....balls it up with any kind of stereotypes and it will be a golden opportunity missed.......
    We also need to get the game played in the right way as well to give the presenters something to promote in this new venture with C4. The usual 5 drives and a kick won't do it, we need fast open rugby, the RFL need to get everyone on board to go in that direction.

  5. #80
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    In the kitchen, trying to remember why I came here.
    Posts
    109
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by warringtonsaint View Post
    Vital that C4 get the presentation of this right.....balls it up with any kind of stereotypes and it will be a golden opportunity missed.......
    A lot more vital for us than for them though, I think. I'm as thrilled to see RL back on FTA tv as anyone, but we need to be realistic. My hunch is that, for now, C4 see it as a toe in the water/schedule filler. I'm sure they will present it decently, but we can't expect them to push the boat out on a top of the range presenter etc until the game has shown it can deliver for them. So I'd say that, at the moment the onus is more on RL than on C4 to make it work. If it's as good as it can be it will sell itself and they will put more into it. But if it's as turgid as it has been for a bit too long now we can't really expect them to polish it up for us. I have endless belief that, when it is allowed to be, RL really is 'the greatest game' but experience has taught me not to expect too much, so I'm content to hold my breath, cross my fingers and hope it shows C4 (and other broadcasters) that it's worth investing in. (Which means I'm agreeing with Stiddy!)

  6. #81
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    104
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Got to wonder why the BBC didn't go for this. I've just turned the TV on and they're showing Buxton v Morecambe live on BBC 1. Surely RL must be better than that?

  7. #82
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,225
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    You forget that association football is the sport that everyone in the Uk is fanatical about (apparently), we at least it is because the bbc has list all rugby union content.

    I can remember watching St Helens Town Play Morcambe in one of the qualifier rounds of the FA cup(think we got a draw and they won the replay, in the days of Phil Layhe and Brian Rigby up front)

    But yes rugby league holds much more national relevance that non/lower league football. But I do thjnk channel four will present our game free from stereotypes and in an honest way.

  8. #83
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Macclesfield
    Age
    44
    Posts
    8,247
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealHarryPinner View Post
    Got to wonder why the BBC didn't go for this. I've just turned the TV on and they're showing Buxton v Morecambe live on BBC 1. Surely RL must be better than that?
    That is just part of their FA Cup contract though, and with it they are committed to showing games from the early rounds. Later in the season they will be showing FA Cup games that pull in 5-6 million viewers, and also the Final. If the deal means they have to include the likes of Buxton v Morecambe in the early rounds they'll take it. I would also guess that this game probably pulled in more viewers than any SL live game they may have ended up getting.

  9. #84
    In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,870
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DewiSant View Post
    A lot more vital for us than for them though, I think. I'm as thrilled to see RL back on FTA tv as anyone, but we need to be realistic. My hunch is that, for now, C4 see it as a toe in the water/schedule filler. I'm sure they will present it decently, but we can't expect them to push the boat out on a top of the range presenter etc until the game has shown it can deliver for them. So I'd say that, at the moment the onus is more on RL than on C4 to make it work. If it's as good as it can be it will sell itself and they will put more into it. But if it's as turgid as it has been for a bit too long now we can't really expect them to polish it up for us. I have endless belief that, when it is allowed to be, RL really is 'the greatest game' but experience has taught me not to expect too much, so I'm content to hold my breath, cross my fingers and hope it shows C4 (and other broadcasters) that it's worth investing in. (Which means I'm agreeing with Stiddy!)
    Fully agree with all that. There are several good, knowledgeable potential presenters out there that will give a positive impression to viewers too
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

  10. #85
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Macclesfield
    Age
    44
    Posts
    8,247
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    If Shearer, Logan, McManaman, Osman and co. can work for Prime on the PL whilst having full time contracts to work for BBC or BT Sports I see no reason why the likes of Chapman, Woods and Wilkin can’t do 10 days work for C4 and do their games as well.

  11. #86
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Blatherings on 13 Pro-Am podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service
    Posts
    8,461
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    I loved the cricket on 4 and they do a great job on the Formula 1. The main thing is they promote their sports and have a build up which will attract people who don't usually watch or have sky.
    Learned comment from The Don

  12. #87
    Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,300
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Sky and c4 obviously have some deal going on. Sky have agreed to let c4 show the last race of the F1 season.

    https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/15...ith-the-nation

    Without sounding like a pessimist, maybe the reason c4 got the rights to SL was because a close link with sky and not some amazing behind the scenes work from Davy and co???

  13. #88
    In The South Stand Dux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    4,863
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    Sky and c4 obviously have some deal going on. Sky have agreed to let c4 show the last race of the F1 season.

    https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/15...ith-the-nation

    Without sounding like a pessimist, maybe the reason c4 got the rights to SL was because a close link with sky and not some amazing behind the scenes work from Davy and co???
    If that was the case I think it would have been announced ages ago, when the contract with Sky was signed we knew at that point that 10 SL games were going to be available to another broadcaster but it was months before C4 were confirmed. Either way, I don't think it matters too much: RL will be getting terrestrial coverage and a new audience, whoever's idea it was.

  14. #89
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    667
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    If that was the case I think it would have been announced ages ago, when the contract with Sky was signed we knew at that point that 10 SL games were going to be available to another broadcaster but it was months before C4 were confirmed. Either way, I don't think it matters too much: RL will be getting terrestrial coverage and a new audience, whoever's idea it was.
    The fact that Channel Four's Headquarters are now in Leeds has helped, as they have been instructed by the government to be less London centred in their output.Interesting article in last week's League Express about the fact that they will now have second pick of the weekly games, Sky having first and third, and a completely new production team, apologies if it's already been mentioned on this topic, Gary Schofield suggesting in his column, that he should be the sumarisor, god forbid! The boss of Channel Four Sports saying all the right things, let's hope they live up to their promises

  15. #90
    In The South Stand Dux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    4,863
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    The fact that Channel Four's Headquarters are now in Leeds has helped, as they have been instructed by the government to be less London centred in their output.Interesting article in last week's League Express about the fact that they will now have second pick of the weekly games, Sky having first and third, and a completely new production team, apologies if it's already been mentioned on this topic, Gary Schofield suggesting in his column, that he should be the sumarisor, god forbid! The boss of Channel Four Sports saying all the right things, let's hope they live up to their promises
    I'm sure they'll be smart enough not to let Garry Schofield anywhere near their coverage.

  16. #91
    Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,526
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I'm sure they'll be smart enough not to let Garry Schofield anywhere near their coverage.
    And Noble for that matter.
    I want to chuck a brick through the telly every time he says, "Get that into yer!" after a big hit. I really hope they manage to stay away from the stereotypes.

  17. #92
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Wirral
    Posts
    2,055
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kakariki View Post
    And Noble for that matter.
    I want to chuck a brick through the telly every time he says, "Get that into yer!" after a big hit. I really hope they manage to stay away from the stereotypes.
    Yeah, Noble is a real dinosaur and I don't think he's the image the game needs to present in 2021.

  18. #93
    In The West Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    6,106
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    They should use one of many of our current ex players as secondary commentator to support the technical side of the plays, the likes of Long, Brown, Briers, McQuire, Scully etc are ideal.
    Last edited by STIDDY; 10th December 2021 at 16:21.

  19. #94
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    4,639
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kakariki View Post
    And Noble for that matter.
    I want to chuck a brick through the telly every time he says, "Get that into yer!" after a big hit. I really hope they manage to stay away from the stereotypes.
    Ha ha ha ha.

    I hate the way he says "because." Don't know why, just irritates me

  20. #95
    In The South Stand Dux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    4,863
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Ha ha ha ha.

    I hate the way he says "because." Don't know why, just irritates me
    Brian in relation to Noble

  21. #96
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    871
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Brian in relation to Noble
    A pet whippet in a flat cap is preferable to Brian Noble. I cant see Channel 4 spending a lot of money on this until it proves itself with some good games and reasonable viewing figures

  22. #97
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    4,639
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Brian ‘in relation to’ Noble
    Yep. There's another

  23. #98
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    4,639
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    A pet whippet in a flat cap is preferable to Brian Noble. I can’t see Channel 4 spending a lot of money on this until it proves itself with some good games and reasonable viewing figures
    I think you're right. It will get ditched after a season if the quality of matches is poor

  24. #99
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,974
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    I’ve put the Union on channel 4 to see what their coverage is like. This is the first time I’ve ever watched their coverage of Union but it’s pretty good, to me, someone whose not a Union fan. There’s a couple of presenters and a couple of guests, including Chris Ashton (I’d completely forgotten him) and they’ve just had a feature on a previous Cardiff RU v Toulouse RU game from the 90’s, including Jonathan Davies.

    The main presenter is a young looking fella and Ashton and the other presenter both look to be in their thirties and most likely, retired in the past five or so years. I hope we go for this approach and attempt to appeal to a younger market with relevant and young presenters and panelists.

    A big thing I’ve noticed is the absolute basic that the presenter and panelist’s aren’t drowned out by pop music, as the Sky RL buffoons usually are.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

  25. #100
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    St Helens
    Age
    37
    Posts
    8,080
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    I read somewhere that the production has been put out to tender by the C4 (I'm not sure if this is normal practice or not) - we could have something completely different, depending on what people bring to their table. I'm hoping that's a good thing though, they should definitely have some new ideas
    Last edited by paulscnthorpe; 11th December 2021 at 22:36.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •