Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: New kit

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    That looks even worse than the photo of the players wearing it.

Seriously, who signed off on this design? Stevie Wonder?

Learning All The Songs

The away kit looks like it was decided on before they had the sponsor and just had to go with it. I suppose Home Bargains will be happy with how it stands out.

Had a good look at them both, really like the home one but a bit undecided about the away. I’ll probably get the home one for me and my lad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

The Quadruple shirt

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    I really like the home kit. It is very reminiscent of Tonga. And with the Tongan coach and Tongan players and it being a World Cup year, I don't suppose that's a bad year. The bland 'normal' vee is beyond boring now. We really should have gone for a single red band as it's more historic than the red vee, which by comparison is a moden gimmick. But this is perhaps the best alternative to another generic vee design and I really like it. It makes the sponsor logo blend in really well so it's not the first thing you notice and it makes the players look big and imposing. I sat and stared at Regan for about five minutes and I'm not ashamed to admit it. One of our best kits in years. 8/10

The away one. Well you can't have too much positivity from me. It's easily the worst designed kit I've ever seen. It's without question the most horrific kit we've had in years. When the idea of the ice blue and black was floated when the training kit was released I was all for it, but this is just incredibly bad. It just provides a background for the sponsor logo to leap out of and hit you in the face. If you get past that, you then have to look at a monstrosity of a design. It looks bluey/purply/black and the red on the sponsors logo just looks horrific on it. The ghosted vee isn't the worst thing ever, but the way the pattern repeats down the shirt like the press ran out of ink or it was dragged across the printer is horrific. The section below the sponsor looks like a manufacturing error. Terrible. 0/10
    A "bland red vee" is what it is all about. You don't see the iconic football clubs such as Liverpool, United, Arsenal, Celtic, Rangers or any number of European football clubs tampering with a formula or being called "beyond boring" for not doing so.

I do like the red band idea and have trumped that cause for years, but the reality is now that Saints have been wearing the red vee now for as long as they wore the red band. It's our brand. People recognise the kit. If people don't look at the badge on this, they aren't going to think of St. Helens.

The away kit might be poor, but at least an outsider is going to have an idea of who it is.

I'll stick to my retro shirt. At least when somebody sees me wearing one from a distance, they won't be wondering if I'm a Wigan or Leigh fan.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Starting A Programme Collection Armourer's Avatar

Be nice if that home Bargains banner across the front peeled off ������

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post

The away kit might be poor, but at least an outsider is going to have an idea of who it is.

Of course they are because you can see the logo from space. Its irrelevant what the kit looks like because all you can see it on it is HOME BARGAINS

In The South Stand

If we’re going down the Tonga route, with the players and coach we have and the fact we’re the host town and host venue of two of their three games in the World Cup, it would have been good or better if we actually included any of the Tongan contingent in the release. I appreciate two, maybe all three, of them might be out of the country but surely, we could have done something to acknowledge it in the release?

The away for me is not good either. Usually, I prefer one shirt over the other but we’ve got two bad ones, IMO, this time around. The colours are okay but again, like the training gear, the design is poor. Hopefully, we release a decent Magic shirt next year, after this year’s being superb.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    A "bland red vee" is what it is all about. You don't see the iconic football clubs such as Liverpool, United, Arsenal, Celtic, Rangers or any number of European football clubs tampering with a formula and being called "beyond boring" for not doing so.
    You do sometimes. Look at Barcelona, their traditional kit is vertical blue and red stripes. Anyone would recognise it as Barca, but they've messed with it many times.

I'm not talking about ditching the red vee permanently, just for one year with links to the past teams who wore it. Perhaps make the supporter versions cotton based that year. Then the following year bring back a really classical vee design reminiscent of the Grand Final jackets and you clean up again. There are so few differences between recent home kits that I can't even tell them apart or which one was the current years even. I took the wrong one to the Grand Final this year for one of the kids and got disowned for it.

Banned

I think I'm with DD.

Don't really like the home kit; don't really mind the away.

In The South Stand

Like the home shirt, reminiscent of the 2014 shirt (I think it was 2014!). I also like the red shorts. Will definitely be buying the home shirt. Like last season, I don't like the away shirt. The sponsors logo on the home shirt is okay, on the away shirt it's far too prominent. For me personally, I'm really superstitous, so I don't wear anything green anyway! Of all the new SL shirts I've seen ours and Hull FC have the best kits in my opinion.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I quite like the home kit a bit more colour than normal. It will make a change for a season. The V on the away kit reminds me of how I feel the morning after a night out.

The home shirt is overly complicated. Why not just have some straight white lines in the red rather than having them look like a pixelated image. Also if they had a white bit at the bottom of the collar it would at least be a V.

The away shirt is a nice design but a poor choice in colours. The modelled version on the website has some strange red lighting so you can't see how bad the colours are. It looks like a dark blue shirt with a white V, which would be nice. The shop version looks like a green V

Home is average/poor, away I think I need to see in real life to see how it actually looks.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Got A Season Ticket

Yet another monstrosity from a very poor supplier

Looking on the Saints website the away kit looks a little better and would be ok if they had just done a solid vee rather than the fuzzy vee, which is just plain weird

Again the home one would be good if they hadn't made the design so fussy with those pointless geometric lines. If it was just the same with the top half red with one thin white vee breaking it up to create a red vee it would be fine

Both unnecessary design elements removed and you have reasonably ok kits

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    You do sometimes. Look at Barcelona, their traditional kit is vertical blue and red stripes. Anyone would recognise it as Barca, but they've messed with it many times.

I'm not talking about ditching the red vee permanently, just for one year with links to the past teams who wore it. Perhaps make the supporter versions cotton based that year. Then the following year bring back a really classical vee design reminiscent of the Grand Final jackets and you clean up again. There are so few differences between recent home kits that I can't even tell them apart or which one was the current years even. I took the wrong one to the Grand Final this year for one of the kids and got disowned for it.
    Yeah, I agree about things like the red band or honouring past glories by recreating that particular shirt. I was quite disappointed this year in the merchandise, in all honesty. The home shirt wasn’t bad, it was better than some we’ve had in recent years, but given the whole anniversary of the “red v”, I don’t think we really honoured it how we should have. I expected a bit of a retro looking shirt, which is completely fine that we didn’t but there wasn’t even a line of merchandise around it, a cotton remake of the “first red v” would have gone down well, especially with the selection of the fanbase who were around then or grew up in the following years. I don’t necessarily think we should go down the Wigan route of “one year traditional, one year retro, one year abstract” though.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Starting A Programme Collection

Not a traditional Saints kit but as long as they win trophies in it who cares.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Not much we can do with a red vee so they have just tried something different, I'll buy the home shirt but not the away one. On the pic it sures some red on the lower back wonder how the back of the shirt looks like.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    The away kit looks like it was decided on before they had the sponsor and just had to go with it. I suppose Home Bargains will be happy with how it stands out.
    I agree. Very much 'in your face'. The Home Bargains RFL team sponsored by St Helens?
    I've already expressed my disappointment with HB on the other thread, but IMO it doesn't look too bad on the home shirt.
    I tend to just buy the home shirt anyway each year and will be doing so again whatever it looks like.
    I guess you just can't please all of the people all of the time!

Learning All The Songs

terrible kits both of them

In The South Stand

I don't like either kit but the away in particular is atrocious.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    terrible kits both of them
    I have no interest in what the kit looks like usually . Don’t get the enthusiasm and hype over new kit so don’t normally comment . However , I have to agree with the above , both the kit and sponsor look crap .

The home one would be nice without the sponsor, and it is soooo low. Given there's too much red on the kit I think we can afford to cut some of that and nudge the sponsor up, like this.

Got A Season Ticket

The home one is fine in my opinion. You can't just keep doing the same sort of design every year so I get why they want to do something different and it looks OK I'm my opinion.

Words fail me on the away one though! Beyond terrible.

In The South Stand

As critical of the away kit as I've been, I showed them to my kids, expecting to get the same reaction I had. But two of the three said they preferred the away kit and want it for Christmas, the other saying the opposite. Bizarre.