Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: 50 22 rule?

Got A Season Ticket

Default 50 22 rule?

I'm no follower of RU but it was on tv when I switched it on earlier and they were talking about the new 50 22 rule. I wonder where they got that idea from?

In The South Stand

Competent marketers and forward thinking governance, most likely.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Same place they got the goal line drop out from...

(although their's is to reward good defence rather than cunning attack)

Lets just hope RL doesn't bring in the new RU red card law.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by RedVee Admin View Post
    Lets just hope RL doesn't bring in the new RU red card law.
    Given the news of Goulding et all and the possibility of a lawsuit,I don't see how they can't

You’re thinking of something different to me. I mean the one where someone red carded is off for an early bath but after 20 minutes he can be replaced with someone off the bench. It’s to prevent landslide victories for the team with the extra man. Or the against the odds victories for the under strength team.

Learning All The Songs

You’re thinking of something different to me. I mean the one where someone red carded is off for an early bath but after 20 minutes he can be replaced with someone off the bench. It’s to prevent landslide victories for the team with the extra man. Or the against the odds victories for the under strength team.
    What a ridculous law. So basically you can take out a key opposition player for what is effectively a double sin bin. Do it in the first few minutes of a game and you're probably net up on impact on the game.

If a team's discipline is so poor they pick up a red card then they should be severely disadvantaged in the game. I never get the argument that it somehow skews the result. Discipline and certainly not stepping well over the mark are key traits of a good team like running, catching and passing

Default 50 22 rule?

It’s interesting to see that RU seems to share RL’s weirdly pathological terror of one team occasionally battering another. I don’t get it all.

A thrashing is often an opportunity to see some free flowing play, and it’s a story. Yet whenever we see one the RL commentariat seem to go into a state of existential panic and start proposing wholesale restructures of the game.

Of course there’s nothing better than a tight game, but I want tight games to be tight because two evenly matched teams are going at it hammer and tong, not because the rules have been manipulated to level the playing field. And if every game was tight, there’d be nothing special about a tight game.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Apart from the fact that being a man down does not always cause a landslide victory, of that does happen it is deserved. I had never heard of that RU rule, but not one of the better innovations.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    It’s interesting to see that RU seems to share RL’s weirdly pathological terror of one team occasionally battering another. I don’t get it all.

A thrashing is often an opportunity to see some free flowing play, and it’s a story. Yet whenever we see one the RL commentariat seem to go into a state of existential panic and start proposing wholesale restructures of the game.

Of course there’s nothing better than a tight game, but I want tight games to be tight because two evenly matched teams are going at it hammer and tong, not because the rules have been manipulated to level the playing field. And if every game was tight, there’d be nothing special about a tight game.

Spot on.