Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Saints at Nou Camp?

Default Saints at Nou Camp?

Just spotted this tweet from the club, sharing a letter sent by the Barcelona FC board of directors congratulating Saints on their success this year. I can't help wondering if this implies that the clubs are already in contact over a fixture v Catalans at Camp Nou? Would be a bit random otherwise.

https://twitter.com/Saints1890/statu...907012103?s=20

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Just spotted this tweet from the club, sharing a letter sent by the Barcelona FC board of directors congratulating Saints on their success this year. I can't help wondering if this implies that the clubs are already in contact over a fixture v Catalans at Camp Nou? Would be a bit random otherwise.

https://twitter.com/Saints1890/statu...907012103?s=20
    I’d be more likely to go if it was at the Camp Nou rather than giving Bernard Guasch the money.

In The South Stand

I really hope it’s true. The only thing I’ve been the slightest bit envious of Wigan over the past few years is that trip to Barcelona. I’d love that to be us.

As an aside, if this happened, how many countries would we have played in? I make it five, not including England.

Scotland (Magic, Challenge Cup Final in ‘02)
    Wales (Challenge Cup Final in ‘04, Wigan at Swansea, Celtic Crusaders)
    Ireland (didn’t we play a friendly there in about 2005?)
    France (Catalans, St Gaudens in the seventies)
    Australia (World Club Challenge in the seventies, the World Club Cup thing in the early Super League years)
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    I really hope it’s true. The only thing I’ve been the slightest bit envious of Wigan over the past few years is that trip to Barcelona. I’d love that to be us.

As an aside, if this happened, how many countries would we have played in? I make it five, not including England.

Scotland (Magic, Challenge Cup Final in ‘02)
    Wales (Challenge Cup Final in ‘04, Wigan at Swansea, Celtic Crusaders)
    Ireland (didn’t we play a friendly there in about 2005?)
    France (Catalans, St Gaudens in the seventies)
    Australia (World Club Challenge in the seventies, the World Club Cup thing in the early Super League years)
    Got murdered at Auckland in 1997

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Got murdered at Auckland in 1997
    We got tonked in all of the WCC games in 97 in both hemispheres. I remember Goulding celebrating when we lost to Penrith by a "winning" margin, it meant we got through to next round. A great concept but ended up as men against boys.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    I’d be more likely to go if it was at the Camp Nou rather than giving Bernard Guasch the money.
    While a trip to Barcelona would be a change from Perpignan, I don't begrudge paying my money at Cats. Yes Guasch is a moaning Frenchman, but he has put a fortune of his own money into Cats. You are not so much giving your money to him as helping him subsidise his team.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    While a trip to Barcelona would be a change from Perpignan, I don't begrudge paying my money at Cats. Yes Guasch is a moaning Frenchman, but he has put a fortune of his own money into Cats. You are not so much giving your money to him as helping him subsidise his team.
    Absolutely.

I haven’t looked at past threads but wasn’t there some mickey taking on here when Wigan played at the Camp Nou or am I confusing it with the New Den? Not that taking the mick with Wigan is ever wrong .

In The South Stand

Great idea! Barcelona is a great city with lots to see and do! I've only ever seen the Nou Camp from the outside but it looks pretty imposing. I'd certainly think hard about a long weekend to Barca if this happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    Great idea! Barcelona is a great city with lots to see and do! I've only ever seen the Nou Camp from the outside but it looks pretty imposing. I'd certainly think hard about a long weekend to Barca if this happens.
    You are right, it is very imposing and incredible to watch games there. But inside it is really footballs answer to Wakey/Cas. I have been to a few football games there including a cup semi final, and the atmoshere was incredible. I will go if Saints play there but doubt there being any atmosphere.

Banned

You are right, it is very imposing and incredible to watch games there. But inside it is really footballs answer to Wakey/Cas. I have been to a few football games there including a cup semi final, and the atmoshere was incredible. I will go if Saints play there but doubt there being any atmosphere.

Barcelona hopefully turning into the equivalent of Wakefield on the pitch (through their self-inflicted bellendery)

Horrible club - although not as scumbaggish as their Madrid rivals.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Barcelona hopefully turning into the equivalent of Wakefield on the pitch (through their self-inflicted bellendery)

Horrible club - although not as scumbaggish as their Madrid rivals.
    Not my two favourite teams.

Not my two favourite teams.
    That 2011 side was something else though. Never been less bothered about United losing a final. We may as well have not bothered turning up that night. They took us to school

Looks like they’re taking a game to Marseille so I’d say I was barking up the wrong tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Looks like they’re taking a game to Marseille so I’d say I was barking up the wrong tree.
    I would love that to be us. You feel that they picked Wigan for the Nou Camp because they were champions and they could market the game accordingly. Hopefully they will apply the same logic this time.

Some exciting trips could be on the cards next year.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.